Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
frayne, are you on the Tesla payroll? If so, this is the best free advertising I've ever seen. The media cannot hold a candle to you.

Shell is buying out an EV Charging company. Estimates as many as 7 million EV's on the road in 2025.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/sh...ts-as-oil-majors-prep-for-rise-of-evs/547305/

No solid news so far from the other big oil companies yet.

Will be interesting to see how much it will cost to charge an EV in the future, especially these charging stations. I'd be willing to place a bet that by 2025 the EV "fill up" will cost as much or more than ICE vehicle.

Will be interesting to see how much it will cost to charge an EV in the future, especially these charging stations. I'd be willing to place a bet that by 2025 the EV "fill up" will cost as much or more than ICE vehicle.

Here we go: The start of the unregulated sale of electrical power! It's no wonder the oil companies and probably other large companies, want to buy up the charging stations. It will be like buying groceries at a 7 - 11!!

Maybe Eddie Lampert will get on this money maker after he gets done closing down Sears?

Last edited:
Our first experience with the Tesla service center was not good. We had a squeaky steering wheel that needed attention. It took over a month to get an appointment. On the day before the appointment we received a text informing us that if anything else was wrong with the car we would have to make another appointment as they would only work on the item we wrote up on the appointment request.

When DH got there he waited fifteen minutes before he could get anyone's attention. They went for a test drive, gave him a loaner Model S, and told him they would call him. He asked how long it would be and the advisor said "I don't really know, maybe a week or so".

The loaner Model S began to develop a problem with the trunk where it would keep popping open randomly. So he just went back to the service center today to exchange it for another Model S. Hopefully this one won't have any more problems.

I've never taken my car in for a minor service issue and had the service center tell me to expect it to be there for a week. I guess the fact that we get to drive a loaner Model S, and even get free supercharging while driving it, makes it bearable. But it makes Tesla look disorganized. And it would seem to drive up the cost of service significantly to have us driving an $80K loaner car for a week while they fiddle around with our Model 3 trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I hope Elon can straighten out the service side of the business. Tesla is the only car manufacturer that services its own cars. We'll have to see how it works out for them I guess.

BP bought up Charge masters about 8 months ago.

Big oil will continue picking them up.

Thankfully, many though certainly not all, EV owners can also charge at home. That is one of the main selling points, is it not? I write this as I observe my neighbor charging his Model 3 from the charging equipment in his garage.

I would think that the rise of local independent shops to service and repair EVs will be a significant sign that these vehicles have gone beyond the expensive toy category.

Last edited:
Thankfully, many though certainly not all, EV owners can also charge at home. That is one of the main selling points, is it not? I write this as I observe my neighbor charging his Model 3 from the charging equipment in his garage.

Most of the Walgreens on the west coast have had level 2 chargers run by a 3rd party, and not free or cheap. EXTREMLY rare to see one in use even in areas with a lot of EVs.

Local ultra mega size Costco had many free chargers but you had to get someone in the store to remotely enable. 1000 feet away at Sam's Club. 2 chargers free to anyone at anytime.

Last edited:

Charging at home is one option. My Model 3 is charging right now. Haven't been to a gas station since July 0f 2018.

I know 2 people that charge at work. Also VW is installing chargers all over the United States. Last I heard they should be done this year. I'm not following VW's installation as I use the Tesla superchargers when I go past one.

Something to remember.... Tesla is more than just a car company.

Tesla's Solar Business Is Falling Apart

Summary
  • In Q4 2018, Tesla once again reported declining solar installations. Its residential solar business has been shrinking alarmingly since a peak in 2016.
  • Tesla's solar business is based around its SolarCity subsidiary. SolarCity has seen extensive employment cuts and facility closures since it was acquired in 2016.
  • Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo, NY, which builds Tesla's solar systems, was financed by $750 million in taxpayer grants. Tesla agreed to employ 1,460 workers there by 2020.
  • As cuts continue to Tesla's solar business, the prospect of meeting employment prospects look scarce. This has prompted fresh political backlash, backed by harsh reports from former employees.
  • With no Solar Roof or other differentiated product, Tesla's solar segment is set to languish. As it comes apart, so too will a key piece of the company's growth narrative.

What's also a drain on the general public is the ethanol program for gasoline. That should have been curtailed years ago, but the farm lobby has the politician's bought.

I agree, but I don’t dare share my opinions on this in Illinois corn country.

If for some reason that Tesla ever goes bankrupt, what happens to the charging stations? How will Tesla owners recharge on trips if the charging station system is no longer there? I know it’s a long shot. But common ownership between the charging stations and car manufacturer may not be a good thing.

If for some reason that Tesla ever goes bankrupt, what happens to the charging stations? How will Tesla owners recharge on trips if the charging station system is no longer there? I know it’s a long shot. But common ownership between the charging stations and car manufacturer may not be a good thing.

Besides worrying about the charging stations if Tesla goes under, I would really be worried about buying parts to keep my Tesla on the road and in good repair.

One could make a long list of car companies that "went under" and the cars that were built just slowly sunk into the scrap yards, as they wore out and spare parts vanished.

Tesla is especially vulnerable as they have no real dealer network and to get parts from Tesla is not easy. Imagine if they went under how difficult that would be.

Last edited:
If for some reason that Tesla ever goes bankrupt, what happens to the charging stations? How will Tesla owners recharge on trips if the charging station system is no longer there?

A cynic might wonder if this explains some of the enthusiasm Tesla owners publicly express. They've got a big investment dependant on the continued existence of a company with precarious finances and a very short history. Charging stations, repair parts, resale value...they have a strong incentive to be all in. I'm sure no one would be consciously dishonest, but the incentive to be "positive" goes beyond the usual cognitive dissonance factors into real dollars.

Perhaps big oil would buy the chargers, two already have bought some in Europe.

If Tesla's chargers went away I would just use VW's.

What AJA mentioned is of bigger concern...

But, to your question I would say that somebody will bid for those assets from the BK court... the bigger question is are they owned or leased? If leased then the owner might take over if they are not sold...

^ I’m surprised Big Oil hasn’t got their mitts into this already.

Major oil companies have already announced they are buying self charge companies (Shell, for one). Since the sale of that power would be unregulated, it could become a cash cow when many car manufacturers bring EV's to the market, especially in Europe where governments are mandating less ICE vehicles (diesels, especially).

I would guess that eventually oil companies will outfit conventional fueling stations with EV charge stations for "one stop shopping".

Seems Tesla is no longer proud of by NY.
NY State Senator “Infuriated” At Tesla Layoffs After $750 Million Taxpayer Assistance |

"
Recently an investigative report was written about the working conditions at Tesla’s Buffalo plant, claiming:

• During a media tour, work was “fabricated” to make employees look busy
  • Tesla had walls built to hide unused equipment and blocked off large areas for media appearances
  • Employees would watch movies on their cell phones while on 12 hour shifts
  • Tesla’s reported employment numbers in the state for 2018 did not match FOIA requests that returned employment data from 2017" And not happy about the 750 million investment results in Buffalo NY.

Just like they did with the DeLorean

If for some reason that Tesla ever goes bankrupt...

...somebody will build a time machine out of them

Attachments

• Tesla time machine.jpg
    Tesla time machine.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 18
^ I’m surprised Big Oil hasn’t got their mitts into this already.

More than 20 years ago, when I got interested in PV panels I found out that Shell and BP produced them. Both of these companies still have some solar operations. It's a small part of their business, but apparently they want to participate in this so as not to miss out if the economic feasibility improves.

It's the same as the EV business, now that every car maker is gearing up to build some. If it does not make economic sense, the whole thing will be folded up quickly.

I like EVs. If not yet for widespread use they make sense for some use. They are not as impractical as some other green ideas, such as growing algae for biofuel. You have not heard much about the latter lately, have you?

Major oil companies have already announced they are buying self charge companies (Shell, for one). Since the sale of that power would be unregulated, it could become a cash cow when many car manufacturers bring EV's to the market, especially in Europe where governments are mandating less ICE vehicles (diesels, especially).

I would guess that eventually oil companies will outfit conventional fueling stations with EV charge stations for "one stop shopping".

The larger fuel stations on the interstates will add EV charging , expand the very profitable side business of food and beverage inside the building. May push out subway and add a coffee lounge ala Starbucks ( 5 minute stop is now 30+ for an EV)

This power price is unregulated, but you can bet once the oil companies are selling charging power at the same locations, road tax / fee will be added.

The larger fuel stations on the interstates will add EV charging , expand the very profitable side business of food and beverage inside the building. May push out subway and add a coffee lounge ala Starbucks ( 5 minute stop is now 30+ for an EV)

This power price is unregulated, but you can bet once the oil companies are selling charging power at the same locations, road tax / fee will be added.

My friends who still work in Big Oil here in our neighborhood and area have mentioned at morning coffee meetups abut building out service stations to accommodate EV's and more lounge amenities. Most Big Oil stations are now operator owned but still are connected to Big Oil via fuel purchase agreements. This will be fun to watch!

RE: Solar and Big Oil - when I worked for ARCO in L.A., we had a operating company called "ARCO Solar" and they were in on the early tech in that field. Sold it off when they realized it was not a highly profitable business (at that time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom