Tiger Woods in Serious Car Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that he needs it but the PGA Tour has a sweet pension plan based on cuts made and earnings, it's estimated that Tiger's pension is worth over $20M.

He should have FIREd long time ago. I guess he has at least 25X.

He loves what he does, no reason to FIRE :). Plus, with a son that may be getting into the sport, he way want to keep playing for that alone.

I wish him a full recovery. From the factual reports the injuries do seem very serious just to get back to walking, let alone golf.

Last edited:
Shattered lower leg in multiple places repaired with a rod on the tibia and screws and pins as well. He also broke his angle and foot. His season is over at the very least. He won't be walking unassisted for 6+ months most likely. The amount of torque he uses in his swing may make playing at a competitive level impossible. I just hope he can live life without too much pain after this...and his back surgeries. He should probably retire from the PGA. His body has had enough.

The better question is, who cares? The nightly news started off last night with breaking news, tiger woods crash, etc etc. Forget the distribution of covid vaccines, forget the disaster happening in texas...the most important thing at that very moment was tiger woods crashing his vehicle.

I love golf, I loved watching tiger, he's still fun to watch...but his time has passed as a horse on tour. Its time for the world to move on. I cant believe people eat this stuff up. Its really sad tbh.

The better question is, who cares? The nightly news started off last night with breaking news, tiger woods crash, etc etc. Forget the distribution of covid vaccines, forget the disaster happening in texas...the most important thing at that very moment was tiger woods crashing his vehicle.

I love golf, I loved watching tiger, he's still fun to watch...but his time has passed as a horse on tour. Its time for the world to move on. I cant believe people eat this stuff up. Its really sad tbh.

Where's the downvote that many other forums have? This above post deserves one more than almost any other.

Tiger is one of the biggest names in the entire history of sports so of course it's news. I could list a dozen other examples of less known and less accomplished people dominating the news for a day or two.

His time definitely hasn't passed, I'm guessing that you forgot that he won the Masters less than a year ago.

Tiger vs Nicklaus as the GOAT? Difficult to pick. Nicklaus has the record and looks like now no way Tiger could catch him. But at one point, in Tiger's prime, seemed like he would easily pass Nicklaus.

I would say, in his prime, Tiger was more dominant as there really wasn't any competition. But records and stats mean something and one can't fairly say if so and so was healthy then their stats would've been such and such.

Last edited:
Tiger vs Nicklaus as the GOAT? Difficult to pick. Nicklaus has the record and looks like now now way Tiger could catch him. But at one point, in Tiger's prime, seemed like he would easily pass Nicklaus.

I would say, in his prime, Tiger was more dominant as there really wasn't any competition. But records and stats mean something and one can't fairly say if so and so was healthy than their stats would've been such and such.

I think Tiger is the best golfer to ever play the game. Prime vs prime Tiger beats Jack on the course. Jack had the better career due to Tiger's injuries and also due to the competition in Tiger's later career.

Tiger is one of the biggest names in the entire history of sports so of course it's news. I could list a dozen other examples of less known and less accomplished people dominating the news for a day or two.

His time definitely hasn't passed, I'm guessing that you forgot that he won the Masters less than a year ago.

3 wins in the last 7 years. Yes, I do remember him winning the masters.

Again, im a Tiger fan. Does he still have some wins left in him...sure. So do a lot of other tour players. He just doesnt stand out anymore. No one is afraid of him, he doesnt intimidate people like he used to. People need to get off the tiger train. Move on with your lives. Get out in the sun, enjoy life.

And yes, I think Tiger is the greatest ever. I dont care about majors. They're single tournaments, most arent even the toughest fields. The WGC events have deeper fields than majors, who allow previous winners to keep playing.

Last edited:
Tiger vs Nicklaus as the GOAT? Difficult to pick. Nicklaus has the record and looks like now now way Tiger could catch him. But at one point, in Tiger's prime, seemed like he would easily pass Nicklaus.

I would say, in his prime, Tiger was more dominant as there really wasn't any competition. But records and stats mean something and one can't fairly say if so and so was healthy than their stats would've been such and such.

Jack said in his book (released before Tiger came along) that no one could dominate anymore because the field was too deep. Then Tiger came along and dominated. Other former great players have said that "back in the day" you knew that there were 20 guys with a good chance of winning every week but now there are 4 times that many.

It only looked like there was no competition because Tiger was that much better than everyone else.

Funny that you took time to post here, though. :cool:

I did notice that last night's Nightly News spent EIGHT MINUTES on the story...one of the longest ones I have seen in a while and out of the ordinary.

Funny that you took time to post here, though. :cool:

I did notice that last night's Nightly News spent EIGHT MINUTES on the story...one of the longest ones I have seen in a while and out of the ordinary.

Its super critical that the world is in the know as to what Tiger is doing daily. They even had mike tirico on since he's a tiger expert apparently.

I hope those people in texas with busted water pipes and destroyed homes are in the loop as to what tiger is up to. Oh...you're short on food? Forget about it...let me tell you about tiger woods instead.

One more time for those who started on page 2....

perhaps we can save the snark until he's at least out of the hospital...

After reading many posts by our collection of bright forum members it’s pretty clear they (we) can entertain more than one topic at a time, as does the media, so no need to forget those other things. Posts in other threads show ample interest in many different topics, all concurrent.

If that’s your opinion, why even take the time to post in this thread? Perhaps you should move on - to other threads - and let people who care continue the discussion.

Not a golf fan, but my dad was.
Even with limited golf interest, it is clear Tiger is/was a phenomenal golfer.

Hopefully he will have full recovery. That kind of leg injury will take many months to heal and rebuild muscle strength and coordination.

Best wishes to him and quick healing.

So sorry this happened to Tiger--he is one of my favorite sports figures. I just hope he is able to walk some day without pain. It will take a miracle for him to be a golfer like he has been in the past, very unlikely. If he cannot play I would love to have him as a TV announcer for the major golf tournaments--I think he would be great at that and I love his voice.

As someone with a previous very serious ankle fracture myself.....I can’t see him coming back from that enough to ever compete again, as standing, walking and pain will probably be a lifelong issue for him now. It’s very sad.

TIGER WOODS JACK NICKLAUS
Tournaments won 80 71
Majors won 14 17
Major winning % (as professional) 17.5 18.7
Major top 5s 31 55
Major top 10s 38 66
Longest streak of top-5 in majors 6 7
Longest streak of top-10 in majors 8 13
Lowest scoring avg. 9 times 8 times
Money leader 10 times 8 times

With the above stats in my opinion Nicklaus is the GOAT over Tiger.

Nicklaus won 18 majors.

I see a few errors in that stats list, Tiger won 15 majors, Tiger won 82 tournaments, Nicklaus won 73 tournaments.
Tiger has the highest winning percentage of anyone 22%, Jack won 12%.
Don't see any current pros coming even close to these numbers.

Tiger faced a stronger field as Jack and many other former great players have said. Plus equipment advances have leveled the field making his dominance even more impressive.

Tiger also hold the record for most consecutive cuts made at 142.

But Jack played with primitive equipment.

Heck, Jack even smoked while playing in the early years. Let's see Tiger match that! :)

Don't shoot me for a little humor, relax. Jack actually talks about the tobacco sponsorship issue and he is quite serious about it. In his very early career, he saw some film of him smoking and saw it was a bad look and bad example and he stopped smoking on the course from there on out. (I think he eventually stopped, period.) I'm glad, because if I had seen that as a kid, I would have not admired him like I did. He was the reason I got into golf like I did. Back in the day he wrote a very accessible book ("Golf My Way") about advanced techniques that made sense to me and improved my game.

I am not a golfer, and never watch golf on TV. Yet, I know of Tiger Woods. :)

I also remember his previous single-car accident, which was also serious. Were his past surgeries caused by accidents? If so, he's really prone to accidents, perhaps a very bad driver?

Personally, I think Nicklaus is still the GOAT, with Tiger a close second. Nicklaus also finished 2nd in 19 majors in addition to his 18 victories.

Having watched a ton of golf over the last 30+ years, I agree with this assessment. Only got to see the tail end of Nicklaus' career including his transcendent win at Augusta in '86, but I think they've been equally dominant in their eras so I go by the final records. Tiger will never catch Jack now.

I also remember his previous single-car accident, which was also serious. Were his past surgeries caused by accidents? If so, he's really prone to accidents, perhaps a very bad driver?

My understanding is that many of his injuries/surgeries were tied into his extreme workout routine. He messed up his knees working out with the Navy Seals then the compensation from the knee issues led to back problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom