Time to reset the clocks

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Don’t forget to set your clocks back tonight. Daylight saving time is giving us one whole hour of extra time. Use it well, folks. :greetings10:

Actually, I think of it as returning the hour it took from us back in March.

So I gave it an interest-free loan of 60 minutes, and what did it do with them? Scared the heck out of me and put me under house arrest. I ask you, is that fair?

Well, let me tell you, when DST comes around next March asking for another loan of an hour, I'm going to drive a much harder bargain! :mad:

I’ve been waking up so early. This is only going to make it worse!

When I was working, this was my favorite weekend. One extra hour of sleep. But now, after retiring, it really doesn’t matter any more. [emoji853]

In my Glory Days it meant we could drink another hour...

We never got it back in the spring.

I've learned a lot since then.

Interesting.
So one gets one hour more of sleep, but then possibly goes to sleep earlier and loses that hour. Seems almost like a wash to me.

Many of the devices we use to check time are internet enabled, so most will be taken care of automagically. :)

It’s really about having the sun come up earlier. :D

Here the sunrise has been around 7:45 am which is way too late. Seems more appropriate to have it rise before 7 am!

I am expecting a magnetic polar shift and a power grid collapse. Might as well do them all together tonight on the Day of the Dead.

Why bother? I'm retired.

Nothing changes here - except ALL of our network shows are off by an hour.:mad: I'll have to check the DVR to be sure everything gets recorded properly. That will take up a lot of my precious time.:LOL:

OK, I reset the clocks just now. It really doesn't matter if I do it a few hours early. Usually I have a tough time with time changes, but this morning I overslept by two hours! So, I am thinking it will be easy to stay up an hour later and just slide right into the time change.

[emoji4]

Since I retired, my sleeping pattern has been totally screwed up so one hour here or there will not make any difference to me.

I did see on the news this evening that people are really pushing back on DST. The benefits just don't seem to outweigh the problems it creates for people that have a hard time adjusting to it every year. I guess there’s about a two week period where accidents (motor vehicle) are increased along with general stress that people experience adjusting to it. IMO, it is a bit silly, as obviously, the sun still rises and sets according to its own schedule.

Here in Europe we "fell back" last Sunday. So, adding to the whole issue of this useless twice annual time change is that we also have to keep track of a slightly volatile time zone difference. It's maddening at times (no pun intended).

Since I retired, my sleeping pattern has been totally screwed up so one hour here or there will not make any difference to me.

I did see on the news this evening that people are really pushing back on DST. The benefits just don't seem to outweigh the problems it creates for people that have a hard time adjusting to it every year. I guess there’s about a two week period where accidents (motor vehicle) are increased along with general stress that people experience adjusting to it. IMO, it is a bit silly, as obviously, the sun still rises and sets according to its own schedule.

I suppose there was a time when DST made some sense. Not sure it does anymore. But to retirees such as myself, it's almost unnoticeable - other than TV times. Unless I'm stewing about something, I've never had a problem sleeping, but YMMV.

Don’t forget to set your clocks back tonight. Daylight saving time is giving us one whole hour of extra time. Use it well, folks. :greetings10:

So this morning I got up and changed the time on my wristwatch.
Then I changed the time on the three alarm clocks in the upstairs bedrooms.
Then I changed the time on my wife's wristwatch. (she wasn't wearing it)
Then I went downstairs and changed the time on the stove and microwave.
Then I changed the time on both sides of the station clock we have in our kitchen.
Then I changed the time on the wall clock in our entryway.
Then I changed the time on our thermostat.
Then I changed the time on the three clocks we have in our living room.
Then I changed the time on both the TV and the DVD/VCR player. (yes, we still have one)
Then I changed the time on the wall clock we have in our office.
Then I changed the time on our answering machine. (yes, we still have one)
Then I changed the time on the clock in the basement by the treadmill.
Then I went outside and changed the time on the radio in my truck.
Then I changed the time on the radio in the wife's car.
Then I changed the time on the radio in our 'spare car' SUV.
We also both have summer cars but I leave them on DST all year since we only drive them in the summertime.
There's also a clock on our indoor/outdoor thermometer but that one changes itself using a radio signal.
That's 22 clocks in our household taken care of. Now we're good until March 14th of next year. :dance:
So I got an hour of extra time today but I spent 40 minutes of that hour resetting clocks. :D

I suppose there was a time when DST made some sense. Not sure it does anymore. But to retirees such as myself, it's almost unnoticeable - other than TV times. Unless I'm stewing about something, I've never had a problem sleeping, but YMMV.

In the upper midwest where I live I can appreciate DST, especially on the weekends. In late June, the birds start singing a little before 3:30 in the morning. (I get up at 3:15) If we got rid of DST they'd be singing before 2:30 a.m.

So this morning I got up and changed the time on my wristwatch.
Then I changed the time on the three alarm clocks in the upstairs bedrooms.
Then I changed the time on my wife's wristwatch. (she wasn't wearing it)
Then I went downstairs and changed the time on the stove and microwave.
Then I changed the time on both sides of the station clock we have in our kitchen.
Then I changed the time on the wall clock in our entryway.
Then I changed the time on our thermostat.
Then I changed the time on the three clocks we have in our living room.
Then I changed the time on both the TV and the DVD/VCR player. (yes, we still have one)
Then I changed the time on the wall clock we have in our office.
Then I changed the time on our answering machine. (yes, we still have one)
Then I changed the time on the clock in the basement by the treadmill.
Then I went outside and changed the time on the radio in my truck.
Then I changed the time on the radio in the wife's car.
Then I changed the time on the radio in our 'spare car' SUV.
We also both have summer cars but I leave them on DST all year since we only drive them in the summertime.
There's also a clock on our indoor/outdoor thermometer but that one changes itself using a radio signal.
That's 22 clocks in our household taken care of. Now we're good until March 14th of next year. :dance:
So I got an hour of extra time today but I spent 40 minutes of that hour resetting clocks. :D
Your house appears to be stuck in the 90's :(

My watch changed it's own time
My wife's watch changed it's own time
My phone changed it's own time
My wife's phone changed it's own time
My wife's tablet changed it's own time
My laptop changed it's own time
Both Raspberry Pi computers changed their own time

My thermostat doesn't have a digital display
My RV radio will probably need to be changed the next time I start it up, but I never look at the time on it
My wife's car *might* be set already, but not sure
The microwave needs changing.

Most of these devices have already had the following time changes to deal with this year:

1 - Spring forward
2 - CST > MST
3 - MST > PST
4 - PST > MST
5 - MST > CST
6 - Fall back

Most of this is automatic, thankfully, but still - geeze. If I had the number of manual devices you did, I'd seriously reconsider the number of time-keeping devices I needed...

Last edited:
The only good thing about DST is that it reminds me that it's time to change the batteries in my smoke detectors and battery powered clocks.

Other than that, it confuses my dog... His routine of when to get up, when to eat, etc, gets all screwed up for a few days after the time changes. I didn't even know that he could tell time....:LOL:

Last edited:
I hate when it's dark outside at 4:30 in the afternoon. Now I look forward to when the days begin to get longer again.

I wonder if apps that suggest bedtimes will give a false recommendation tonight.

DST particularly sucks when you live 10 miles from the eastern border of the central time zone. :(

This biannual clock dance we do is plain silly, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom