Time to spring forward and change the clocks

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Yup. Daylight Savings Time is here once again for another interest free loan of 60 minutes, payable in about a half a year. Remember to set your clocks back this weekend. (Exception for Hawaiians, Arizonians, and the rest of the world :)).

Florida legislature just passed the "Sunshine Protection Act", sticking with DST and exempting the state from reversing this temporary loss of minutes next Nov. For that to happen it needs to be signed into law, then approved by the nice folks in DC. Story by NPR here https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ll-would-make-daylight-saving-time-year-round

It's Daylight Saving Time.
Thanks for the correction. That was deliberate, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to highlight it.

Shortest weekend of the year. Makes me get up an hour earlier for w*rk Monday. Oh, wait!

I am already having a hard time getting up at a reasonable hour, and now it will be even harder. First world retiree problem, I suppose.

Time changes are both barbaric and stupid. :mad: Just venting, thanks.

I thought it was "Daylight Savings Time", like "XYZ Savings and Loan".
It's Daylight Saving Time.
I guess this explains why we can't deposit some daylight and get it back next winter with interest.

(Exception for Hawaiians, Arizonians, and the rest of the world :)).

Florida legislature just passed the "Sunshine Protection Act", sticking with DST and exempting the state from reversing this temporary loss of minutes next Nov. For that to happen it needs to be signed into law, then approved by the nice folks in DC. Story by NPR here https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ll-would-make-daylight-saving-time-year-round

Don't know about the rest of the world...but relatives in Europe (Germany, France, Belgium, Finland) observe DST, just not at the exact same dates as we do. It's March 25 this year for them.

---------

Being a snowbird in Florida, I'm hoping that perennial DST becomes law. It will make the wintertime days seem longer with the extended daylight -- and allow for more folks golfing, bicycling, etc in the early evenings. Of course, it will put Florida out-of-step with the rest of the states in the eastern time zone for half of the year, which is tough on business people.

omni

I thought it was "Daylight Savings Time", like "XYZ Savings and Loan". I guess this explains why we can't deposit some daylight and get it back next winter with interest.

Spoken like a true ER ORG member.:greetings10:

Don't know about the rest of the world...but relatives in Europe (Germany, France, Belgium, Finland) observe DST, just not at the exact same dates as we do. It's March 25 this year for them.

---------

Being a snowbird in Florida, I'm hoping that perennial DST becomes law. It will make the wintertime days seem longer with the extended daylight -- and allow for more folks golfing, bicycling, etc in the early evenings. Of course, it will put Florida out-of-step with the rest of the states in the eastern time zone for half of the year, which is tough on business people.

omni

For us retired folks in Florida, I would like to see the change go through.:D

I was in South Africa around a time change. Some folks asked me to explain it, a European invention, saving daylight? How do you save daylight?

I've seen DST make adults cry, have bad days, and commit suicide. I guess that mostly happens at DST?

I'd rather people don't mess with the clocks. Perhaps DST should be terminated?

Last edited:
Got it. Just remember time is like a snake - when you notice it spring back! As it trails you though the year and winter approaches leap toward the new year, falling forward. This coming Tuesday I'll wait till 4:20, subtract my age in minutes, add the Julian date in seconds, and write the result on my wrist where I've worn a watch maybe 60 days in my life. If I really need the time I'll just check the stove, which says it is 350. Or 475 if baking bread.

Cell phones: crap hammers, brilliant clocks.

I'm retired.

I only care what day it is.

Got it. Just remember time is like a snake - when you notice it spring back! As it trails you though the year and winter approaches leap toward the new year, falling forward. This coming Tuesday I'll wait till 4:20, subtract my age in minutes, add the Julian date in seconds, and write the result on my wrist where I've worn a watch maybe 60 days in my life. If I really need the time I'll just check the stove, which says it is 350. Or 475 if baking bread.

Cell phones: crap hammers, brilliant clocks.

The only thing I understood about that post was 4/20. My favorite holiday.

It happens for us on March 25th as mentioned above.

omni

Yep - for a few weeks each year our time difference is off by an hour.

I can't fathom why twice-a-year time changes are still even a thing.

pfff.. who cares anyway.

"[-]Watches are[/-] Time is a confidence trick invented by the Swiss"

DST only really matters when you are at higher latitudes and then unless you are farm it can be nice not to have the sun coming up before 4 am. I was once put up in a very nice condo on a job but unfortunately it was eastern exposed, on the 12th floor, walls of windows in the master bedroom and no window coverings and it was June/July. Needless to say I had no need for an alarm clock on that gig.

Interestingly, many land time zones are skewed toward the west of the corresponding nautical time zones. This creates a permanent daylight saving time effect. Uganda is a good example of this as the government has chosen to 'move' it one time zone west. There as some pretty extreme examples of this in Russia. With the move from an agrarian economy perhaps everyone should just agree to take a 'jump to the left' and be done with it.

I thought it was "Daylight Savings Time", like "XYZ Savings and Loan". I guess this explains why we can't deposit some daylight and get it back next winter with interest.

We should talk about daylight allocation strategies...

Back
Top Bottom