Tipping at a buffet

Since tip amounts are left up to the tipper, just about any bias can make itself felt in the amount. Some people undoubtedly consider having a good-looking waitperson, a "service."

After all, Hooters is a whole restaurant chain based on this...they will not hire older or overweight waitresses.

Do some people really tip on a scale based on looks vs. service? What on earth do they do if the person is unattractive, or the wrong gender?

A friend of mine who works as a waitress moved from AZ to CA. CA pays full minimum wage for servers while AZ doesn't. It is indeed strange that 20% tip (or whatever) is expected in both states.

You have to look at least presentable to cut it as a waitperson. It also helps if you're relatively young like in your 20s or 30s. In the past we were average tippers and now we're probably considered 'good tippers'. We have more money as retired people and we respect anybody that still works for a living.

You live in Canada, where it is different and thus cannot be directly compared with most situations in the US.
And ...? The thread topic said nothing about “Tipping at a buffet in the USA”. Neither did the original post.

I’ve been on this board for almost 15 years. It benefits from a cosmopolitan perspective; and invariably suffers whenever anyone implies that discussion is effectively restricted to a narrow, exclusively American viewpoint.

Last edited:
I’ve been on this board for almost 15 years.
In case I failed to mention it when you arrived, "WELCOME NEWBIE!"
It benefits from a cosmopolitan perspective; and invariably suffers whenever anyone implies that discussion is effectively restricted to a narrow, exclusively American viewpoint.
I feel that when someone is making comments or expressing an opinion and the circumstances they are speaking from differ substantially from the OP, the difference in circumstances should be mentioned. That is entirely different from being "restricted to a narrow, exclusively American viewpoint." Your statement is just being pointed out as an expression of a different point of view from a different cultural perspective.

I know you're from Canada and that the culture and expectations regarding tipping are different there than the USA. But many folks don't. And you've chosen to hide your home country in your profile. So why not mention your're speaking as a Canadian when you chime in so everyone can benefit and understand where you're coming from?

And again, welcome aboard!

Last edited:
A friend of mine who works as a waitress moved from AZ to CA. CA pays full minimum wage for servers while AZ doesn't. It is indeed strange that 20% tip (or whatever) is expected in both states.

Yes. Because tipping is based on personal service and tradition. It is not based on pay levels. Their really ought to be a tipped minimum wage, much lower than the regular one.

Yes. Because tipping is based on personal service and tradition.

I hear people say "tradition" when we talk about tipping, but traditions change. We don't have to stick with something just because it's been the tradition. A lot of people are expecting some kind of tip nowadays, which wasn't the case in the past. Some have mentioned inflations raising the price of food by 30%, etc, and 20% of that is steeper than before. If you look at tips as handouts, some kind of charity, (most likely, in the old days, single mothers and such used to waitress), then, I can see why people want to keep on doing it, and it makes more sense. It's like spreading the joy, I guess. Nothing is wrong with that as long as the system allows it. (Obviously, you're not allowed to do the same when a really old-looking man who takes the bus and works at Home Dept two days a week to make the ends meet carry your paints and get them ready for you, etc. Or a young friendly lad who works some afternoons after school to pack your heavy groceries into your car.)

I do actually tip even at buffets, but usually only up to 15%, but I no longer go to buffets. I used to not tip for takeouts but I do now (15%). I give more (sometimes a lot more) for DoorDash drivers, etc. I think it's perfectly fine to not tip at all though. It's not like those states with less than full minimum wage for servers are requiring customers to subsidize the server's pay. I think servers are only required to report 8% of the gross sales (so anything over 8% is tax-free money), so 8% is the amount IRS expects the tip to be. If 8% of the gross sales plus the server minimum wage do not meet the full minimum wage, the employer is supposed to give the servers enough salary so their total amount reaches the full minimum wage. At least that's my understanding, so yep, everyone should do whatever they want regarding tipping (including not tipping).

Personally, the tip options are annoying when you see them in business establishments that shouldn't be asking for a tip, but I've never been the person to be pressured into doing things, so I'd just mark 0%. I would have a problem if they got rid of that 0% option though LOL.

Last edited:
It has been a number of years since we have gone to a buffet. Most are just a feeding trough (some people are just disgusting) that became more unpleasant with each passing year. However, years ago when we did go to a buffet we went early as they opened for lunch and made a point to leave a 10-15% tip for keeping the table cleared and for the attentiveness in keeping the water and/or tea filled. Tip was only a few dollars when the bill was under $20.

Cheers!

I tip between 15-20%. I don’t go to buffets, but if I did, I’d leave a tip.

I never pay much attention to the exact amount, but the other day, I looked at the calculated percentages on the credit card slip and they were based on the total amount, not the pretax amount. I wasn’t surprised, since I see little downside for the establishment using the higher amount. I suspect most people won’t notice or care and I never thought about it until I read it here.

It must be a slow morning, but I looked to see how Square handles this. Apparently they originally calculated the tip based on the total amount, but eventually added an option for the establishment to specify if the tip is calculated before or after taxes.

This is a social contract that is, or at least should be, understood by all parties. If someone chooses to not tip (or under tip) in that circumstance they are effectively not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

An Unwritten contract. That does not make it right. It Still does not elude the fact that some wait staff are grossly underpaid, to the benefit of their employers. Personally think a 20% service "tax" is too much. Being intimidated to pay one by electronic systems is IMHO unacceptable. 10% is reasonable, maybe 15% at a push.

Some folks eat at buffets because the food is cheaper, and kids often eat free, and they eat there for that reason. They cannot perhaps afford a 20% premium. Should they therefore not go, and stick to unhealthy fast food?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom