Tipping

Maybe I am a control freak and maybe I am the last person in this country to only pay for meals and/or coffee with cash but I don't like to pay with a CC for these purchases. I have heard one too many instances (including on this forum) where tips have been altered on charges. I know there are some restaurants that have methods for the customers to avoid this or restaurants that surprise you when they automatically add some kind of service charge that you haven't been made aware that increases the cost (again including on this forum) but I really don't care. I take control and if shenanigans are being played then the restaurant gets the price listed on the menu in cash and no more. I will decide the tip and give it directly to the server. My money and my rules.

Cheers!

I just ordered some garden seed online. When I got to the payment part I was asked how much I wanted to tip with a minimum of 10%. It took me a while to get past it and leave it blank.

I hope my seed grows....I might get some old stuff since I stiffed them.

I would cancel the order and find a different store, which does business honestly. Why bother dealing with people who want to charge you more for nothing?

I just ordered some garden seed online. When I got to the payment part I was asked how much I wanted to tip with a minimum of 10%. It took me a while to get past it and leave it blank.

Was it as difficult as buying from Amazon without signing up for Amazon Prime?

The other tipping thread prompted me to return here. I always feel confused about when to tip non-restaurant service workers. I asked ChatGPT knowing it has access to a vast store of information and it essentially says no:

"Tipping non-restaurant service workers such as window washers, plumbers, and handymen is not a common practice in the United States. Instead of tipping, these types of workers are typically paid a service fee or hourly rate for their work.

However, if you receive exceptional service or if the worker goes above and beyond what is expected, it is acceptable to offer a small tip as a token of appreciation. The amount of the tip can vary depending on the situation, but generally, it is not expected to exceed 20% of the total service fee or hourly rate.

It's worth noting that some service industries, such as housekeeping in hotels, do expect tips for their services, but this is not the case for the majority of non-restaurant service workers."

Clark does what I do. I carry extra cash to use when I buy a cup of coffee or a muffin from a local coffee house. I grab some change and toss it in the tip jar. This avoid the awful Tip Screen with its money grubbing suggestions when I use a CC.

I don't tip for takeout food. If using my credit card I'll navigate through the screens to find the 0% option.

I give 15% for takeout. Especially at start of pandemic.

Supposedly they’ve raised wages for restaurant workers but it may not be universal.

Incredible... at an online store :confused:

This sounds as bad as when I paid online for us to see Dogwood Canyon, run by a Foundation controlled by the Billionaire John Morris of Mo.
They charge an extra fee for buying online, because you are buying it online (which really saves them money).
Then they automatically added a tip to the price.
I took the tip off with some effort. :LOL:
The price to see his canyon, is frankly pretty pricey for what it is, mostly it's like many state parks with paved pathways.

Last edited:
Tipping Protocol

Tipping is a funny and awkward human interaction. On one hand people deserve a livable wage and on the other, tipping is/was supposed to be a reward for good service. Sometimes it just feels like I'm subsidizing a cheap restaurant owner.

If the service is sub par or it's difficult to ascertain what service was provided, are you an unfeeling scumbag if you either tip low or not at all. My basic tip in pretty much all circumstances is 20%. Exceptional service gets boosted to 25%. Can't imagine a 30% tip, that just seems excessive. Honestly, I prefer the European model. Build it in the price and if service is great round up the bill. If €18 leave a €20.

On a related topic. Are you comfortable with the public approach to tipping such as while your server is holding the CC machine when you select the tip amount? Or when they rotate the scanner with a line of customers looking over your shoulder?

Tipping is awkward, no doubt.

I haven't been to Europe yet, but that style feels much more comfortable.

One thing I don't like about the US based system is pooling. I don't have a problem with tipping out the bartender or whoever out of your share. Putting all of the tips into one pot and diving out from that rubs me wrong.

MOD NOTE:
Last two posts were merged into this existing thread on tipping.

I give 15% for takeout. Especially at start of pandemic.

Supposedly they’ve raised wages for restaurant workers but it may not be universal.

It is not a wage thing. It is personal service and tradition.

I definitely tipped more for takeout during the pandemic when there was so little business/fewer workers wanting to come in. Special situation.

These days I do so less often unless there is something unusual.

Tipping is awkward, no doubt.

I haven't been to Europe yet, but that style feels much more comfortable.

One thing I don't like about the US based system is pooling. I don't have a problem with tipping out the bartender or whoever out of your share. Putting all of the tips into one pot and diving out from that rubs me wrong.

Yes, I am not a big fan of this either. I understand some restaurants now have their standard tip sharing percentages, etc.

In the old days, wait staff shared tips based on perception of earning, same as how they are paid. Seems more fair.

And of course, most positions in the restaurant are not traditionally tipped positions.

I worked in two fancy restaurants in the old days. Neither place pooled tips among waiters. You earn it, you keep it. Naturally there was a cut given to the busboy assigned to your tables and the bar tender.

Why is tipping usually based on a percentage of the purchase?

Is pouring a bottle of $200 wine twelve times more worthy, difficult, or time-consuming than pouring a bottle of $15 wine? Why? Who says so?

Is taking an order for a cheeseburger at Applebee's and delivering it more time-consuming, stressful, or worthy than doing the same for a steak at Ruth Chris? Why? How?

If I occupy a table at a local cafe with three friends and buy $50 of food, I'm expected to give a $9-10 tip. Does it matter if we sit there for an hour or for three? What if it's just me and a muffin? Should I tip $1 if I sit there for three hours? Does it matter if the cafe is busy or otherwise empty?

There is just no sense in the tipping system. Pay these people a wage, and set your menu price accordingly.

Is pouring a bottle of $200 wine twelve times more worthy, difficult, or time-consuming than pouring a bottle of $15 wine? Why? Who says so?

Is taking an order for a cheeseburger at Applebee's and delivering it more time-consuming, stressful, or worthy than doing the same for a steak at Ruth Chris? Why? How?

If I occupy a table at a local cafe with three friends and buy $50 of food, I'm expected to give a $9-10 tip. Does it matter if we sit there for an hour or for three? What if it's just me and a muffin? Should I tip $1 if I sit there for three hours? Does it matter if the cafe is busy or otherwise empty?

There is just no sense in the tipping system. Pay these people a wage, and set your menu price accordingly.
+1 Also when the price of the order increases on the menu then the same 15% from the past price increases the amount of tip left so why did the percentage go from 10 to 15 to 20?

Cheers!

+1 Also when the price of the order increases on the menu then the same 15% from the past price increases the amount of tip left so why did the percentage go from 10 to 15 to 20?

Cheers!

Almost every tipping system I have used including good ole cash, allows for you to leave a flat amount, not just a percentage.

The worst part of tipping is I have to judge the server's job performance and I don't have the information to do it. For example, in Restaurant A the service is slow and barely adequate. Is it because the server is gabbing on the phone with her boyfriend instead of doing her job? Or perhaps the restaurant hired new staff and she is very busy helping them out and even training them? The owner/manager knows that. I don't.

The worst part of tipping is I have to judge the server's job performance and I don't have the information to do it. For example, in Restaurant A the service is slow and barely adequate. Is it because the server is gabbing on the phone with her boyfriend instead of doing her job? Or perhaps the restaurant hired new staff and she is very busy helping them out and even training them? The owner/manager knows that. I don't.
Just judge the service you receive.

I don't judge anything. I just give them 20%, because that's how they are paid. If someone really went out of their way for me, I might leave more, but I am usually a very low maintenance customer. I order from the menu without requests for changes or extras, and I don't take all day doing it.

In a larger sense, it has long been my view that if I am doing really well in life, then I should have "leaky" pockets, so others can get a little something too.

Maybe I am a control freak and maybe I am the last person in this country to only pay for meals and/or coffee with cash but I don't like to pay with a CC for these purchases. I have heard one too many instances (including on this forum) where tips have been altered on charges. I know there are some restaurants that have methods for the customers to avoid this or restaurants that surprise you when they automatically add some kind of service charge that you haven't been made aware that increases the cost (again including on this forum) but I really don't care. I take control and if shenanigans are being played then the restaurant gets the price listed on the menu in cash and no more. I will decide the tip and give it directly to the server. My money and my rules.

Cheers!

I prefer cash at restaurants too. But if I'm short, I'll pay the bill with zero tip on my cc and give the server cash for the tip. They always seem appreciative of doing it that way.

In a larger sense, it has long been my view that if I am doing really well in life, then I should have "leaky" pockets, so others can get a little something too.

Very commendable indeed Gumby!

Tipping Contractors

Getting our master bath redone, shower/walls/floor/counter top.

What would be a nice cash tip amount to give to the worker bees?

50/75/100 each there's two of them....

While he insisted I didn't need to give him anything, I gave $100 to the man who painted my entire house exterior by himself. This was in addition to what he earned as wages from the small business painting company that I hired. He did a great job, was professional and friendly, and listened to my questions/suggestions. I was very happy with him and his work.

When I had my roof replaced last year I gave them $100... It took them most of the day but there were 8 of them. At least it probably paid for their beer that evening. Well most of it anyway.

IIRC that's the same amount I tipped the 3 guys that replaced our floors and the 2 guys that replaced our AC...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom