Tipping

Well played

Indeed. Lots of blessings here - schools ,safety, etc -- that's why I chose it and am very fortunate. But, yeah, sometimes I feel a bit of 'ugh' factor and most of the week I am in Langhorne, or close Jersey towns enjoying myself, and feeling my health insurance carrier sort of cringe :)

It's common in the UK, for instance, to put a Service Charge on the bill. I certainly don't tip additional when they do that.
Otherwise, I tip maybe 10%.

This was for my recent trip to the UK, not in the US...

So, an opportunity to get on the good side of the machines before Skynet takes over? I wonder how many people actually leave a tip.

I would leave my tip as cash, since the Skynet creatures can't use it (yet).

Given any opportunity, I ALWAYS leave my tips as cash!

FWIW I have literally not had cash in my hand for at least six months. I just don’t carry any around. Debit and credit cards only.

Casual Restaurants Removing POS Tipping?

Not to start the umpteenth thread on the pros and cons of tipping.

Have any of you seen some restaurant merchants with point of sale payment systems remove tip options, and put out a tip jar? One of our favorite pizza joints, and a favorite BBQ joint actually removed tipping from the screen :confused:

I've asked the counterpersons why, but they've undoubtedly been told to answer 'I don't know' - and there not the ones making the change. I wouldn't be OK with not tipping them, so DW and I have to put together cash to leave. It sure looks like most customers are ignoring the reinstated tip jars, but can't know for sure. It sure was a lot easier to just add it to our CC charge on the POS system. Guess I'll have to ask to speak with a manager to ask...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen tip removed from the payment screen.

However, around here, a new law came into effect that over 5 years, waiters wages have to go up to minimum wage ($13/hr in IL).

As that happens I'm reducing my tip percentage, as I don't tip lots of other minimum wage workers and yes I view tipping as part of the income payment for workers because that is what it is.

I think with POS systems like Toast so prevalent, most folks have figured out that you can press custom tip or no tip to put in whatever tip, if any, you wish to leave.

Have not seen tip screen removed.

Moving tipped wait staff to full minimum wage is not favored by wait staff or restaurant owners and I think it is misguided do-gooding.

Haven't seen tip removed from the payment screen.

However, around here, a new law came into effect that over 5 years, waiters wages have to go up to minimum wage ($13/hr in IL).

As that happens I'm reducing my tip percentage, as I don't tip lots of other minimum wage workers and yes I view tipping as part of the income payment for workers because that is what it is.

I agree with that thinking as that minimum wage skyrockets - also from IL.

I also don't carry cash, anymore, so a tip jar wouldn't work for me.

Have any of you seen some restaurant merchants with point of sale payment systems remove tip options, and put out a tip jar? One of our favorite pizza joints, and a favorite BBQ joint actually removed tipping from the screen :confused:

I mentioned before that Chipotle does this - no tip option, just a tip jar.

I recently went to a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins, and they were the same.

The local Dominos as well.

I thought if there was a tip jar they made min wage already. . . not the reduced min wage servers get. . . Not sure where I got that idea. I didn't find any basis for this belief in my 5 second search but I was not sure what terms to use.

Last edited:
Just a guess, but they might be removing the tip from the POS because the company has to pay x% for the credit card processing on the tip amount.

I think I saw an episode of ST:Lower_Decks where one of the characters objected to tipping somebody else on the starship who handed him a tool or manual.

Just a guess, but they might be removing the tip from the POS because the company has to pay x% for the credit card processing on the tip amount.

Processing is charged on tips like any other transaction, but having the tip option likely increases the total amount of tips by multiples. In my PT gig, the employee gets the full amount of the tip less 3% for processing.

I think more likely it's because the cash is untraceable, as in less taxes or no taxes.
Plus a bad employer/manager would take a percentage of the cash for himself and no staff would actually know since it's not documented.

Just got home from a week's vacation in Clearwater. I am SOOOO over having to tip everyone for everything. We usually tip at restaurants and bars. But I got to thinking about this one bar situation. It was a really small bar. We ordered drinks. She only had to take one or two steps to reach our requests and one or two steps to sit it down in front of us. I'm assuming she was getting a paid wage and so I don't quite get giving a tip for a 4 step movement on her part. (we did leave something!) On the other hand, I felt good about leaving a decent amount in the room for the cleaning person as we left to return home. That to me is a JOB.....even though we are pretty tidy, and didn't leave a mess, she/he still had to work to prepare the room for the next person.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby, but I don't like the idea that tipping is expected for EVERYONE I encounter in my daily life.

I saw a news story that DoorDash was warning customers that their orders could be delayed if they don't tip. Looks like more people are resisting tipping for things. I never used DoorDash personally.

. It was a really small bar. We ordered drinks. She only had to take one or two steps to reach our requests and one or two steps to sit it down in front of us. I'm assuming she was getting a paid wage and so I don't quite get giving a tip for a 4 step movement on her part.

Channeling Andy Rooney:

I don't like tipping based on the number of steps taken. It could get expensive in a large restaurant. Especially if stairs are involved. You never know when the kitchen is in the next building or a floor or two below.

Plus it can get tiring counting a server's steps. And distracting. Then you say: "Wait a minute! Was that 9 steps or 10?" Then you wonder if she's just walking around to run up the tab. Bad scene all around.

I'd rather pay attention to the person I'm with. I just give them 20% and move ahead with my day. Life's too short.

Last edited:
I'd rather pay attention to the person I'm with. I just give them 20% and move ahead with my day. Life's too short.

And that's why tipping will never leave. People have been trained to think that it's normal and expected to give someone $30 - $40 for bringing a couple plates of food to the table.

Back
Top Bottom