Tipping

In IL, minimum wage is going up to $14/hr and $8.40 for tipped workers on Jan 1, 2024. It's even higher in Chicago! It's ridiculous. That will pile on to inflation.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics 1.9% of hourly workers make at or below minimum wage. 59% of Americans are paid hourly. So about 1% of American workers make minimum wage. Increasing the pay for 1% of the workforce is not going to be a significant inflation driver.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics 1.9% of hourly workers make at or below minimum wage. 59% of Americans are paid hourly. So about 1% of American workers make minimum wage. Increasing the pay for 1% of the workforce is not going to be a significant inflation driver.
LOL But in reality that isn't what's going to happen or has been happening with each increase.

The people that make a little more will get a raise to make up for it, and then those the next scale up will get a little more, and it goes up the pay scale a ways.

I have seen this repeatedly with our yearly minimum wage increases with the prices jumping up. The small business owners say as much as well.

OK Scrooge. It’s not that uncommon IME. We always tip more, amount (servers, haircare, coffee, etc.) and services (postal, garbage), in December. This article will blow your mind… https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/money-etiquette/holiday-tipping-giving-checklist

Wow, if we needed even half of those services, we could not afford to be FIREd today :).

I guess if one has a frequent face-to-face relationship with a service provider it can make sense, but the services we used are pretty much faceless. Garbage collection done via mechanical truck pickup at 5AM, who knows if it is the same driver. We actually see our postal carrier 2-3 times a year, and never seems to be the same person (given how often our mail is delivered somewhere else, no wonder).

I will double the tip for my last haircut before Christmas (at least I get one of the same 4-5 barbers where I go), and DW has some teenagers that come by once a month for some cleaning and organizing assistance, and she will pay them extra or get them a present in addition to their wages. But beyond those two, no tipping beyond our normal :).

LOL But in reality that isn't what's going to happen or has been happening with each increase.

The people that make a little more will get a raise to make up for it, and then those the next scale up will get a little more, and it goes up the pay scale a ways.

I have seen this repeatedly with our yearly minimum wage increases with the prices jumping up. The small business owners say as much as well.

Ah, the old Trickle Up Economics. Aren't you worried that by tipping the lowest paid workers they'll have more purchasing power and drive up the cost of goods by increasing demand? Maybe the only way to keep inflation in checkis by keeping the bottom 1% poor.

We have 4 staff at the Condo we tip at Christmas time. We tip the paper carrier and the mail carrier as well.

By the way, can anyone believe this thread is approaching the 1 year mark - with nary a whiff of bacon? Good on us!:cool:

It does so because it stays mostly on topic, and most people realize they aren't going to change anyone else's mind.

But let's keep inflation out of it please, we have a whole other thread for that. Both topics individually can get unpleasant enough by themselves.

I had a new A/C installed yesterday, a team of 3 installers did the job. When they were going out for lunch I gave them $40 each. They stayed ‘til 7 and did a very nice job in the attic.

I had a new A/C installed yesterday, a team of 3 installers did the job. When they were going out for lunch I gave them $40 each. They stayed ‘til 7 and did a very nice job in the attic.

I do that sort of thing too. Makes me feel good and you know it's appreciated.

Our family tipped the mailman on Christmas Eve, and invited him in for a drink

When I was a teen, he was near retirement and I was more aware of things. He was basically completely sloshed by the time he came by!

Those were different times, no?

He was not a creep, just a great guy. When I was a young kid, he would let us put mail in the door slots. He gave us old leather binding belts, and these neat little finger ring knives. He always had a kid or two tagging along. All of this would get a USPS worker immediately fired these days.

Very wise. Whenever I hire somebody to do something for me I always try to make it as easy as possible for them to do a good job. I clean up debris or dirt in their work area, move stuff out of the way, cover items that can’t be moved, setup a bathroom for them to use and often offer them a cup of coffee or on a hot day, something cool to drink. I have not tipped anybody yet, but I will put that arrow on my quiver for future use on occasion.

As I age I realize I will be more dependent on others to do things for me. Getting things done right the first time is a huge plus and well worth the effort. More so as I age.

Speaking of tipping, yesterday I went to my usual coffee house to meet with friends and talk. The staff and management there are very nice and they usually do a very good job. Plus they have lots of tables so finding a seat is rarely an issue. Brewed coffee is about $3.50 and I drop the dollar bill I get in change in their tip jar. This time I paid with my CC and using the tip line rounded it up to $20. Merry Christmas!

We just left Cozumel and the chef is part of the HOA & nightly fee. He did us a legit snapper & shrimp dinner with all the fixings for $50 for 8 people. He got an awesome fish from the market and cooked it that day. And the veiw was off the charts too.

Although he's part of the "deal", we gave him a $35 tip for the excellent meal.

Attachments

• IMG_20231221_175729520.jpg
    IMG_20231221_175729520.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231221_152757902.jpg
    IMG_20231221_152757902.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231220_183858313.jpg
    IMG_20231220_183858313.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 4
We had a "blow that dough" level tree trimming job done this week. Tipped all 8 of the crew $20, including the crane operator. They were very appreciative. We also gave them access to the pool bath that is accessible from the outside. That perk elicited a couple of, "Wow, thanks!"

We had a "blow that dough" level tree trimming job done this week. Tipped all 8 of the crew $20, including the crane operator. They were very appreciative. We also gave them access to the pool bath that is accessible from the outside. That perk elicited a couple of, "Wow, thanks!"

I just did the exact same thing a few weeks ago (except for the pool) for a small crew to remove a few major size (12+" diameter x 20' long) branches and received the same response. The price was fair to begin with and then they trimmed 2 very tall palm tree for free since they were already there. It was worth the price of the tips for the show of watching them use their new hydraulic bucket and bobcat.

Because of this thread, I kept track of my Christmas tipping/gifting to various service workers that I've encountered this month. (Not counting tips at restaurants) So, the FedEx, UPS drivers, transfer station attendants, hotel staff (twice), county road maintenance crew, (they just graded my nearby county road), and the men's room attendant at the sports book. I think I'm done. Total tips/gifts only amount to $425. Not bad and I feel good about it.

We tipped the Holly Jolly Trolly tour guide in our town's night of lights tour. We also tipped the postie.

We do not get enough FedEx, UPS or Amazon deliveries to warrant tipping them. We probably got 1 FedEx delivery and perhaps a couple of UPS. I think we also got 3 Amazon packages. I do not find Amazon prices for the most part very competitive.

Last edited:
Because of this thread, I kept track of my Christmas tipping/gifting to various service workers that I've encountered this month. (Not counting tips at restaurants) So, the FedEx, UPS drivers, transfer station attendants, hotel staff (twice), county road maintenance crew, (they just graded my nearby county road), and the men's room attendant at the sports book. I think I'm done. Total tips/gifts only amount to $425. Not bad and I feel good about it.

That's a good list.

I just did the exact same thing a few weeks ago (except for the pool) for a small crew to remove a few major size (12+" diameter x 20' long) branches and received the same response. The price was fair to begin with and then they trimmed 2 very tall palm tree for free since they were already there. It was worth the price of the tips for the show of watching them use their new hydraulic bucket and bobcat.

Our job was cool too with a giant crane with an enclosed operator area and a mid sized scissor lift that they get into position by remote control. And, of course, 2 tree climbers, supervisor, and ground helpers. We had to have feeder lines de-energized, too, by Duke but they didn't get tipped since they make a good wage and Duke charged me $500 for the off/on and notifying 45 neighbors (who didn't all seem to get notified).

We tipped the Holly Jolly Trolly tour guide in our town's night of lights tour. We also tipped the postie.

We do not get enough FedEx, UPS or Amazon deliveries to warrant tipping them. We probably got 1 FedEx delivery and perhaps a couple of UPS. I think we also got 3 Amazon packages. I do not find Amazon prices for the most part very competitive.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular tour company you recommend for visitors who would like to see the lights? There are so many advertising - just wondering if any are better than others.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular tour company you recommend for visitors who would like to see the lights? There are so many advertising - just wondering if any are better than others.

Honestly, we have tried them all, all are as good as the other. I would get the one's that allow free (or reduced price) parking. The one that leaves from the Old Jail is our favorite and when folks visit, we use that one. I think they are "Old Town" trolly tours.

https://www.trolleytours.com/st-augustine#map-section

Last edited:
Good background and I think mostly accurate though with the passing suggestions of racism and the lionizing of a single no tip coffee shop (but it is the New Yorker). I read another one about Tip-flation and it said that customers are no longer feeling bullied into tipping by payment screens. It has produced a backlash. That is probably a good thing.

My main issue with tipping is the tendency of what is viewed as a "normal" tip amount keeps going higher. We should resist that.

Otherwise, it works pretty well.

Last edited:
Now one of my favorite takouts which had not had tipping (it was so nice, you pay with credit card and there was no tip option, you just paid what the bill was) now has the tip option.

I am going to vote with my feet and not go there anymore.

I don't know if this local to my part of NJ, but here's a new one, to me: Tip jar for cashiers. I remember a time when there was a "take a penny leave a penny" dish when paying by cash was more common. But a tip for the cashier?

I don't know if this local to my part of NJ, but here's a new one, to me: Tip jar for cashiers. I remember a time when there was a "take a penny leave a penny" dish when paying by cash was more common. But a tip for the cashier?

I've seen the tip jars in various places for about 5 years now.. I just ignore it.

In what kind of establishment? Service/food? sure. But if you mean a the grocery store I would not shop there again.

Back
Top Bottom