Tipping

What are the logistics of tipping hotel maid when you are on a business trip? Do you pay out of your pocket and then bill the employer? or just tip and forget it?

If your employer accepts it, then yes, leave tip and then file for reimbursement. If not, pay out of pocket.

What are the logistics of tipping hotel maid when you are on a business trip? Do you pay out of your pocket and then bill the employer? or just tip and forget it?

Back in my day, ANY expense: tipping, side trips, weekend ski trips, DW tagging along was all reimbursable.

Admittedly, it was a unique company, but one of the reasons I stayed on the road 200 days a year. From the minute I left my driveway until the minute I got back to my driveway (literally, that was the policy) I was on their dime.

Last edited:
Back in my day, ANY expense: tipping, side trips, weekend ski trips, DW tagging along was all reimbursable.

Admittedly, it was a unique company, but one of the reasons I stayed on the road 200 days a year. From the minute I left my driveway until the minute I got back to my driveway (literally, that was the policy) I was on their dime.

Lucky you! :)

My Megacorp was not as generous, but still it helped ease dealing with the amount of travel we had to do. Tips were covered. If my side trip made a flight cheaper than a direct flight, they would cover the cost. Family airline tickets were not, but the hotel room was. When I spoke at Megacorp sponsored conferences, many times I knew the organizer well enough (and if I did enough presentations at the conference) so that I would get a suite room paid for, which DW (and the family if they came) always enjoyed.

The meal per diem was nice as well - they set a (in my view) generous daily limit based on the city for meals. Spend above it, too bad. Spend below it, you kept the difference.

It was also nice to be able to keep all of the airline/hotel/rental car rewards program points, we are still using them :).

So yes, for hotel tipping, it was not a cost out of my pocket.

Tipping Fatigue

I have to say, while I do like the convenience of tapping my card quickly to pay my bill, this new in your face "come on, tip me man" on just about everything is getting tiresome. I recently took my granddaughter to get an ice cream cone and when the guy behind the counter flashed the iPad in front of me for my $3.50 bill it had tip options of $1 or $2... are you kidding me!:mad:

Perhaps I'm old school, but I am happy to tip for table service, maid service, bar service, noticeable extra efforts... traditional tipping of the past, but this constant having your hand out to publicly guilt the customer to tip is getting a little ridiculous.

Read this article, https://apnews.com/article/tipping-fatigue-business-c4ae9d440610dae5e8ff4d4df0f88c35, which pretty much says it all. What really caught my attention was the attitude of a barista who makes $15/hour...

"The 38-year-old earns about $400 a month in tips, which provides a helpful supplement to his $15 hourly wage as a barista at Philadelphia café located inside a restaurant. Most of those tips come from consumers who order coffee drinks or interact with the café for other things, such as carryout orders. The gratuity helps cover his monthly rent and eases some of his burdens while he attends graduate school and juggles his job.

Schenker says it’s hard to sympathize with consumers who are able to afford pricey coffee drinks but complain about tipping. And he often feels demoralized when people don’t leave behind anything extra — especially if they’re regulars.

“Tipping is about making sure the people who are performing that service for you are getting paid what they’re owed,” said Schenker, who’s been working in the service industry for roughly 18 years."

Wow!

What say you?

Besides the mediocre food I can cook better in most cases, I hate thinking about a 10% tax & 20% tip for a sit down meal. With friends, all good, but just the 2 of us, I'd rather stay home. 1 exception would be Fogo de Chao... 20% discount buying cards from Sam's and the food rocks.

We don't pay sales tax for uncooked groceries...

Actually, I'm a little surprised that Airbnb hosts haven't caught on yet and added a tipping option... :LOL:

Ever hopeful that someone, somewhere, somehow, will come up with something completely new to say about tipping. ( And remember, "cows" has been done).

I think there is a problem with many taking low wage jobs and considering them a career. If your $15 per hour or more in some states isn’t enough why not train for or get qualified for higher wage job ? After 18 years making minimum or low wage I don’t see him making the jump. Just one opinion.

If you don’t want to tip at the places where tips are not traditionally expected, just say no. I have no problem bypassing that screen.

Making some guesses regarding the barista in the article, people aren’t tipping him much on average. If he’s making $400/month on tips, working 15-20 hrs/wk (guessing, since he’s also going to school) he’s getting $5-$7/hr in tips. I don’t frequent coffee places, but the few times I have been to one there is a lot of traffic. Considering he might be seeing twenty people per hour, the average customer is not being super generous. It’s more likely that the occasional customer tips very well and everyone else doesn’t tip.

Im on the receiving side of tips at my two summer j*bs: river guide for days trips and bike guide for multi-day trips. The company pays me by the day, so for river trips it works out to about $12-$15/hr and even less for the bike trips. These are both services where it is customary to tip your guides, but not everyone knows that. (Most cycling customers do tip but most rafting customers do not).

Even though I am not w*rking for the money, tips are great positive feedback. Our typical rafting setup is four guides working to get 100-120 customers down the river. We pool any tips and share equally, so if each guest tipped $1 (on a $65-$80 ticket) each guide would get an extra $25-$30 and we would feel appreciated. But that’s not what happens; sometimes we get $0, but typically a few groups tip us $20 each and we go home with an extra $5-$15 per guide. Let me be clear, I don’t need the money but it’s sad to get no tips.

TL/DR: A somewhat insignificant tip of $1 from a customer may have a big impact on the worker.

38 year old graduate student making 15 bucks an hour and complaining about people who don't tip!! Sounds like a spoiled 38 year old that thinks the world owes him a better job and free tip money to make up for his poor choices in the past. Harsh!! Yep, but sometimes tough love is needed.

VW

“Tipping is about making sure the people who are performing that service for you are getting paid what they’re owed,” said Schenker, who’s been working in the service industry for roughly 18 years."

The moment someone talks about "what they're owed" or "fair share", I'm out.

(side note: I always figured "fair share" was a newer saying, until I realized it's in A Charlie Brown Christmas, circa 1965! And it occurred way before that.)

I would like to know more about the mortgage company that is asking for tips. Unbelievable.

If you don’t want to tip at the places where tips are not traditionally expected, just say no. I have no problem bypassing that screen.

Making some guesses regarding the barista in the article, people aren’t tipping him much on average. If he’s making $400/month on tips, working 15-20 hrs/wk (guessing, since he’s also going to school) he’s getting $5-$7/hr in tips. I don’t frequent coffee places, but the few times I have been to one there is a lot of traffic. Considering he might be seeing twenty people per hour, the average customer is not being super generous. It’s more likely that the occasional customer tips very well and everyone else doesn’t tip.

Im on the receiving side of tips at my two summer j*bs: river guide for days trips and bike guide for multi-day trips. The company pays me by the day, so for river trips it works out to about $12-$15/hr and even less for the bike trips. These are both services where it is customary to tip your guides, but not everyone knows that. (Most cycling customers do tip but most rafting customers do not).

Even though I am not w*rking for the money, tips are great positive feedback. Our typical rafting setup is four guides working to get 100-120 customers down the river. We pool any tips and share equally, so if each guest tipped $1 (on a $65-$80 ticket) each guide would get an extra $25-$30 and we would feel appreciated. But that’s not what happens; sometimes we get $0, but typically a few groups tip us $20 each and we go home with an extra $5-$15 per guide. Let me be clear, I don’t need the money but it’s sad to get no tips.

TL/DR: A somewhat insignificant tip of $1 from a customer may have a big impact on the worker.

To be sure, I agree with you on positive feedback. When I used to get a bonus I felt appreciated when I got a good one. I do normally tip in some situations, sit down meal, tour guides and where we get good service. Pouring a cup of coffee or taking my order at the counter doesn’t make the cut for me. I recently saw a tip jar prominently placed at a gas station in tourist area where I poured my own coffee and still charged me $3 for crappy coffee. Tip for them didn’t happen.

38 year old graduate student making 15 bucks an hour and complaining about people who don't tip!! Sounds like a spoiled 38 year old that thinks the world owes him a better job and free tip money to make up for his poor choices in the past. Harsh!! Yep, but sometimes tough love is needed.

VW

Not sure how doing a difficult fast paced job dealing with rude customers every day somehow equals being spoiled. I would say the person who has the easy office job getting paid 4X as much for way less work is the spoiled one.

Ever hopeful that someone, somewhere, somehow, will come up with something completely new to say about tipping. ( And remember, "cows" has been done).

Tipping is not a city in China?

I just carry a wad of $5 bills and hand them out like free candy as tips. Everybody loves me. :cool:

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48 (KJV)

Or, from our friends in France, "noblesse oblige."

Last edited:
I have to say, while I do like the convenience of tapping my card quickly to pay my bill, this new in your face "come on, tip me man" on just about everything is getting tiresome. I recently took my granddaughter to get an ice cream cone and when the guy behind the counter flashed the iPad in front of me for my $3.50 bill it had tip options of $1 or $2... are you kidding me!:mad:

I'm expecting pretty soon we will be asked to tip at WalMart's self checkout..

Back
Top Bottom