Tipping

We don't normally tip housekeeping for one night stays but definitely will for multi day stays. We usually do cruises so the daily housekeeping tip is expected and we normally tip extra during the week with cash which really kicks service up a notch as well.

We go to Bonaire scuba diving for multiple weeks every year and this year it will be for 5 weeks starting March 1. We have known our housekeeper there for over 10 years and make sure to tip her each week. She goes out of her way to accommodate our dive schedule to be in the room when we are out on the water. For the overall cost of the vacation, tipping the housekeeper is peanuts.

Reading this, it seems like just about everyone tips. But I'm also guessing those that don't tip aren't about to post about it. According to the Chicago Tribune around 70 percent of hotel guests — don’t.

+1. We used to tip $5 each day. Since IME hotels don’t service rooms each day as in pre-Covid times, we tip at the same rate the day we check out - e.g. for a 3 night stay we leave $15.

If you have a problem with management, punishing the folks at the bottom of the financial food chain is wrong. You’re paying management some substantial nightly rate for the room, but you want to stiff a housekeeper who makes very little over a few dollars/day? That’s deplorable IMO. Many housekeepers don’t have better employment options, and most I’ve talked with are decent hard working people. :mad:

Since Covid, we’ve been even more conscious of ALL the workers at the bottom of the economic food chain, and tip generously as long as service is decent or better. We’ve been more fortunate than most. YMMV
===============================================
What a well thought out response, couldn't agree with you more.

THat's basically the crux of the issue, a lot of workers are deliberately underpaid and patrons are expected to tip to make up for it.

IN other countries, these kinds of workers are paid well enough that they're not dependent on tips. People either do not tip or round up their bills, but nothing like 15-20% more.

How profitable are these hotels, restaurants, stores?

Now there are a lot of family-run hotels, which aren't part of some big international chain. But I believe they're bound by laws in these other countries to pay decent wages.

How do you get people to come work for you in a tight labor market if you are deliberately underpaying them?

And not sure what business profits have to do with it. If the company loses money are employees ok with an automatic pay cut?

If you do not pay competitive wages you are out of business.

But tipping is not about wage levels.

How do you get people to come work for you in a tight labor market if you are deliberately underpaying them?

And not sure what business profits have to do with it. If the company loses money are employees ok with an automatic pay cut?

If you do not pay competitive wages you are out of business.

But tipping is not about wage levels.

If they're being paid well, why are we talking about tipping them?

Do you tip the contractor who's charging you $200 an hour to work on your home?

Or your lawyer or accountant?

Or your doctor?

Yes, it is about the money the tipped person is making. If the job is one where tips constitute most of the wages, I am careful to tip generously. In my state the minimum wage for tipped workers is still $2 something per hour.

If tipping is about wages, then why do we tip the same for a waitperson in a fancy restaurant versus a waitperson at a local family restaurant? I’m guessing their wage is about the same but their tips are drastically different. I’d guess a high end waitperson can make a pretty good income when wages and tips are combined, especially compared to a waitperson at the diner.

Yes, it is about the money the tipped person is making. If the job is one where tips constitute most of the wages, I am careful to tip generously. In my state the minimum wage for tipped workers is still $2 something per hour.

That's what it was here many years ago, but it's above the federal minimum wage now.

Most rooms have a notepad and pen. I scrawl THANKS on the pad and put the tip next to It.

If tipping is about wages, then why do we tip the same percent for a waitperson in a fancy restaurant versus a waitperson at a local family restaurant? I’m guessing their wage is about the same but their tips are drastically different. I’d guess a high end waitperson can make a pretty good income when wages and tips are combined, especially compared to a waitperson at the diner.
I assume you mean as edited above? That’s simple, a server at a high end restaurant has to know a lot more about food, wine/cocktails, courses, etc. and the expectations are (much) higher. Servers don’t just mindlessly write down orders, carry food and clear. I was a busboy in a cafeteria, a cook and server at a pizza joint, and a server in a high end restaurant before I graduated from college. They’re by no means comparable. Funny how many people assume they know how easy many others jobs are, while feeling under appreciated in our lines of work. Like here “I need to give more notice to retire because I’m very hard to replace” - BS 90% of the time.

Last edited:
I assume you mean as edited above? That’s simple, a server at a high end restaurant has to know a lot more about food, wine/cocktails, courses, etc. and the expectations are (much) higher. Servers don’t just mindlessly write down orders, carry food and clear. I was a busboy in a cafeteria, a cook and server at a pizza joint, and a server in a high end restaurant before I graduated from college. They’re by no means comparable. Funny how many people assume they know how easy many others jobs are, while feeling under appreciated in our lines of work. Like here “I need to give more notice to retire because I’m very hard to replace” - BS 90% of the time.

I'm not disputing that servers in high end restaurants need to know more, but is their additional knowledge really worth an $80 tip on a $400 bill, for example?

I don't mind paying for service, but I do hate overpaying. Serving is an entry level job. At high end restaurants it's a step above entry level but it's still not rocket science.

Serving is an entry level job. At high end restaurants it's a step above entry level but it's still not rocket science.

It might depend. If Ruth's Chris is your Idea of high end, that may be so.

I'm sure a lot of 50 year old professional waiters might disagree with "a step above entry level", considering they can make upwards of $100k a year. Then you get into the private clubs where, while not tipped are paid very well indeed. There's a lot to know about food and service at the better places that can be, in its own way, rocket science.

These people will cringe at a poorly chosen wine, using the wrong fork or will hand-make your Caesar salad--with raw egg-- table side.

When we lived in France, we ran into three waiters whose restaurant sent them over for three weeks to learn better wine pairing. Hardly an expense incurred for 'step above entry level' personnel.

Last edited:
Never tipped a hotel housemaid in my life, and don't even have an idea how to do it.

You just leave some dough on the dresser when you leave.

No need, just the cash on the deck.

The lack of luggage and other personals as well as clothes in the closet should tell the tale well enough me thinks.

What are the logistics of tipping hotel maid when you are on a business trip? Do you pay out of your pocket and then bill the employer? or just tip and forget it?

Back
Top Bottom