Tipping

Just the logistics of trying to tip UPS, postman and garbage collectors.
I am trying to imagine waiting for the garbage man, running out while their equipment is screaming and climbing up steps to their window. Then pounding on it to get their attention. Just to hand them a tip.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I guess it depends on where you live too...

Examples:

You see, in the county we don't have the typical garbage trucks/collectors. We have county trash transfer stations where everyone drops off their garbage and trash. There are three different transfer stations in our county and each is open two days a week. Of course we go to the closest one. After a while you get to know the attendants.

As for delivery drivers around here (FedEx/UPS) I know them all (well most of them) by their first names. They have been delivering packages here for years and usually they literally hand the package to me in person. I know when they are coming and can see them coming for ~1/4 mile down our private road. If I'm not home (rare) they know where to drop my packages.

Heck I know many of the people who work in our local Post Office by name (but they change personnel a lot) and the same with the local cops but many have been around for many years. Same with my local bank, they all know me very well and always greet me as Mr Car-Guy. :)

So many things are a bit different here than living in a big city/town.

Last edited:
So with Christmas time right around the corner we are tipping a few of the support folks we see around here pretty often that we never seem to tip. Ex, $50 to our regular Fed Ex drivers (see them at least once a month) $50 to the trash transfer station attendants, etc.

We do not see this as a tip... we see it as giving them something for Christmas... you can call it a bonus if you like, but I would not call it a tip...

We only give to the cleaners and the yard guy...

BTW, my oldest sister gives all of them homemade cookies...

We don't have regular delivery people (USPS, UPS, Fedex) so we don't give them a holiday tip. And the garbage guy just drives the truck alone with a giant automated claw that picks up the can and dumps it. It's very fast and there is really no way to give him a tip. It has always been my understanding that you give regular service providers an amount equal to one service. So, this week, in addition to the regular money I leave on the counter for our cleaning lady, I will leave a Christmas card with an equal amount as a gift. I also special order her card and write her a personal note (in Portuguese). The young wife will also do the same when she goes to her hair dresser this week (but in English).

The main thing I do around the holidays is institute holiday tipping policy. Nothing set but that usually ends up being a nice tip when I go out and eat. For example, me and a buddy went to breakfast last week and I tipped $10. Nothing extravagant but extra enough to say happy holidays.

I’d like to hook up with a group of people were they all put in a sum of money (like $50 each or more for a party of ten) to give the server a great tip.

We do not see this as a tip... we see it as giving them something for Christmas... you can call it a bonus if you like, but I would not call it a tip...
ok with me....

FYI, in the US, the regulations concerning tipping are as follows (taken from the USPS website) -

"All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period."

While it is technically true that mail carriers are not allowed to accept cash tips they get them all the time and never get in trouble for it. My Dad was a mail carrier and got hundreds of dollars in cash tips every December. He also got some treats. I never tip mine but I would if I got packages on a frequent basis.

OK Scrooge. It’s not that uncommon IME. We always tip more, amount (servers, haircare, coffee, etc.) and services (postal, garbage), in December. This article will blow your mind… https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/money-etiquette/holiday-tipping-giving-checklist
Nothing in that blew my mind. Most of those things in that list don't apply to me. I don't have a personal relationship with the post man or garbage people. But I have not heard of anyone around here tipping them or seen any mention of it in local news / TV. I do tip normally at the usual places, like 20% for servers despite the tipping wage being high in this state, even more for a haircut.

Last edited:
I was so glad I had a lot of 20's in my wallet when I went to get my oil changed yesterday. The whole crew was so friendly and kind to me, and service was quick and thorough. I went right when they first opened and was the only customer the whole time, so I gave 20's to all without interrupting any work. They were pleased and grateful. I know they don't make much money so maybe I made a little difference for them.

OK Scrooge. It’s not that uncommon IME. We always tip more, amount (servers, haircare, coffee, etc.) and services (postal, garbage), in December. This article will blow your mind… https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/money-etiquette/holiday-tipping-giving-checklist
They (article writers) are quite generous. I think our approach is similar to yours.
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

This time of year I will "tip" (really a holiday, Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanza present) the independent lawn service. I would tip the mail carrier but I see different people bringing the mail.
In the 50's I remember "tips" this time of year to show appreciation to these as well as the milkman were usually a Christmas card and a box of chocolates, fruit cake, etc. but no money. There might have been a dollar or two to the newspaper boy when he came to collect the monthly bill. It was a different time.

Cheers!

The only extra I give/tip at this time of year is to the last person who fills up my car before Christmas. I figure servers get tips every single shift and don't need extra, but the poor sucker working outside all day pumping gas for low wages likely almost never gets a tip.

The only extra I give/tip at this time of year is to the last person who fills up my car before Christmas. I figure servers get tips every single shift and don't need extra, but the poor sucker working outside all day pumping gas for low wages likely almost never gets a tip.

So, are you are saying we should tip ourselves? :whistle:

I've heard such "service" (pumping gas) still exists in a few states/places, but I haven't seen it happening in real life in many decades.

I've heard such "service" (pumping gas) still exists in a few states/places, but I haven't seen it happening in real life in many decades.

I live in Canada, a few gas stations still have employees that will pump gas. The price for gas is the same, so it's a no-brainer when it's -25.

I live in Canada, a few gas stations still have employees that will pump gas. The price for gas is the same, so it's a no-brainer when it's -25.

I can see real value (and need) in such a case.

We give a Christmas card with a cash gift inside to our 2 cleaning ladies, and also to our milkman. We don't know any of the post office staff or other delivery people, or trash collectors.

In the UK in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, our family tipped the regular delivery people every year. In our case, it was the milkman and the newspaper delivery man. I cannot remember if we tipped the postman. For this reason, I do not view this as "tipping culture getting out of hand". FYI, in the US, the regulations concerning tipping are as follows (taken from the USPS website) -

"All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period."

We tip our postman, we live in a VERY rural location and he is one of the very few cars that pass our house daily, if something was wrong, he would report it. Many times I'll meet him at the mailbox and inform him of our plans. If a package is delivered, he walks it to our door. Rural culture is different than city culture.

Last edited:
We tip our postman, we live in a VERY rural location and he is one of the very few cars that pass our house daily, if something was wrong, he would report it. Many times I'll meet him at the mailbox and inform him of our plans. If a package is delivered, he walks it to our door. Rural culture is different that city culture.
"IMO" Urban life is a great place to "work" to live. Rural life is a great place to "live" for life.

We have 4 staff at the Condo we tip at Christmas time. We tip the paper carrier and the mail carrier as well.

By the way, can anyone believe this thread is approaching the 1 year mark - with nary a whiff of bacon? Good on us!:cool:

By the way, can anyone believe this thread is approaching the 1 year mark - with nary a whiff of bacon? Good on us!:cool:
The price of bacon has skyrocketed this year so maybe it's being used more sparingly. :)

In NJ, there are no self serve gas stations - they are all full service. I’ve never seen anyone tip them. Don’t feel too bad for them, NJ minimum was is $14.13, or $12.93 for small employers with fewer than 6 workers. The wage is going up $1 per hour for both on 1/1/24.

In IL, minimum wage is going up to $14/hr and $8.40 for tipped workers on Jan 1, 2024. It's even higher in Chicago! It's ridiculous. That will pile on to inflation.

So, I'm sure I'll see prices going up at the local restaurants and elsewhere. This could hurt tipped workers even more as people are cutting back on tips already due to inflation.

In NJ, there are no self serve gas stations - they are all full service. I’ve never seen anyone tip them. Don’t feel too bad for them, NJ minimum was is $14.13, or $12.93 for small employers with fewer than 6 workers. The wage is going up $1 per hour for both on 1/1/24.

Minimum wage is a little over $15 here, that includes servers.

I suppose if we can tip a server for bringing food to the table who gets tips every shift all year long then why not the poor sucker pumping gas at -25?

Back
Top Bottom