Tipping

You sure you didn't dream of this experience? Pinch yourself! :ROFLMAO:

😂😂 There I was, all ready to receive mediocre service, as well as ready to endure disgusting stares and snide remarks for not adding any additional tip - instead they threw me off guard with how well they served us and not asking for an additional tip. The server even pointed out on the screen where the "no tip" button was, and they all thanked us for patronizing them. My goodness, such politeness in this day and age? Inconceivable! 😂

Ate in a restaurant in Manhattan a few days ago. On the wall and printed menu, there was a large notice that "18% gratuity was included". one of our sons had eaten there before and said the food was great. It was, large portions and the service was excellent - none of us could finish our meals and they boxed the remainders for us. When they brought the CC machine to our table to pay, the server said right away "the tip is already included, so be sure to hit the 'no tip' button", which we did.

The process was fine with me - the told you the tip percent up front ahead of time (menu was also posted in the window by their entrance), and they did not try to get an additional tip out of you.
Most of Miami is like that too. I'm actually more inclined to add an extra tip when they point this out.

36 "pages" of posts and no mention of Reservoir Dogs? Or maybe I missed it
:).

We have a nationally known Boston politician who doesn't tip. Just doesn't despite being a multi- multi millionaire. He'll run up a $1200 dinner and leave...not a dime. The servers all run for the kitchen when he shows up and the "low man" gets to wait on him while his guests will leave a tip behind his back out of embarrassment.

Maybe that explains the recent punch in the face.
Busceni's character makes a pretty good argument against tipping. Maybe someone was stewing on it for 32 years and only now got the chance to punch him in the eye for it :D

$5-10/day for housekeeping in hotels and at least double if we stay in a villa with a cleaning person.

Also, 20-25% for restaurants, tours, charters, but we adjust based on norms (e.g. countries where tipping isn't expected).

As someone that prefers to cook and clean for themselves, I'm uncomfortable with being waited on and appreciative of service workers.

$5-10/day for housekeeping in hotels
Since Covid none of the hotels I've stayed in have cleaned my room during the stay so I don't tip for housekeeping any more. They'll send housekeeping if you ask, but I never do.

Even before Covid, I kept the DND on the door the entire stay. I still leave at least $5 per day if the room is clean on arrival and the housekeepers are friendly when I see them (e.g. ask if I need anything).

In the BVI adding 15% to bills is all but standard. Not sure I love it but at least it is not 20% and there is no tax to tip.

I usually leave $10 on the bed when we leave the room. Cleaning rooms in a hotel is a crappy minimum wage job and I am happy to make things a little better for them. I will say that the room is usually spic and span when we return.

My sister was a housekeeper, so was my mother, and my grandmother, and my great grandmother. I honor them all by treating the housekeepers well.

I just encountered a weird one. I reserved a pontoon boat for an afternoon a few weeks from now and the checkout process prompted me for a tip. First of all, who tips during a reservation? Second of all, why would I tip for a simple rental? I selected "no tip", of course.

I just encountered a weird one. I reserved a pontoon boat for an afternoon a few weeks from now and the checkout process prompted me for a tip. First of all, who tips during a reservation? Second of all, why would I tip for a simple rental? I selected "no tip", of course.
Hope you can swim. 😄

This is baked into a lot of 3rd party payment software nowadays, and often requires the vendor to pay the SW to disable it.

Just returned from 5 weeks in Spain, Portugal, and the Azores. Tipping is just not a thing there. I rather enjoyed not tipping, although I did tip in a couple of cases of excellent service. The service in general wasn’t very good. So, as always there are trade offs. But I certainly do think the US has gone crazy nuts on tipping expectations for services where no tip should be required (or requested).
I was told 10% euro is common there. So that is what I normally do there.

I was told 10% euro is common there. So that is what I normally do there.
I am not reading this over the internet. Everywhere in Europe, tip=unreported income (=illegal under the table). So you would only leave a few coins to get rid of 'cents' from your pocket. You would also leave nothing if paying with a credit card.
Of course, honesty and legality is not followed equally everywhere in Europe. :)

I am not reading this over the internet. Everywhere in Europe, tip=unreported income (=illegal under the table). So you would only leave a few coins to get rid of 'cents' from your pocket. You would also leave nothing if paying with a credit card.
Of course, honesty and legality is not followed equally everywhere in Europe. :)
+1. Tipping in most of Europe is rounding up with a few coins. €71 you'd round up to €75. In France suggesting a tip is "supposed" to be illegal, though the tourists tend to be taken advantage of in some places.

We'd also leave a few coins to round up when paying by CC.

Back
Top Bottom