Tire Rotation Question

That must be model specific...when I swap my tires it changes automatically.

Interesting. I’ve never seen that. I thought all brands of vehicles needed to have the sensors reprogrammed (not a big deal) when you rotate tires. What vehicle do you have? What year?

Interesting. I’ve never seen that. I thought all brands of vehicles needed to have the sensors reprogrammed (not a big deal) when you rotate tires. What vehicle do you have? What year?

2015 Acura TLX. I rotate them or swap to from summers to winters (and vice versa) and it's automatically updated.

2015 Acura TLX. I rotate them or swap to from summers to winters (and vice versa) and it's automatically updated.

That would be nice. In older vehicles, I was able to relearn the position of the sensors using a process of deflating the tires in a particular order. More recent models require a special tool. All GM products. I don’t do it myself enough to justify buying the tool and just take it in. Thankfully, Discount Tire will rebalance and rotate my tires for life. I probably paid for that, but I think it’s one of those things that more than pays for itself if you actually use it. I’m guessing most people don’t.

That would be nice. In older vehicles, I was able to relearn the position of the sensors using a process of deflating the tires in a particular order. More recent models require a special tool. All GM products. I don’t do it myself enough to justify buying the tool and just take it in. Thankfully, Discount Tire will rebalance and rotate my tires for life. I probably paid for that, but I think it’s one of those things that more than pays for itself if you actually use it. I’m guessing most people don’t.

Costco also has free rotate and balance for the life of the tires. Nitrogen fill too and free flat repair. If the tire can’t be patched, they will give a pro-rated credit on a new replacement.

I now mark my tires before taking them in for and oil change and rotation.

I do this because one time it seemed like the dealer didn't rotate the tires, and lets be honest, it's easy to skip doing it, and still charge for it.

So I mark them, and check afterwards, makes me feel better knowing they did the job, instead of wondering.

I have never subscribed to the rotating tires theory. What it does do, is mask any suspension problem by putting any abnormal wear over all 4 tires. I do look them over periodically for any wear problems and then get the root problem fixed. I've had one set of tires last 100k+ miles and some high performance tires last maybe 5-6K miles. Most of the time, they wear fairly evenly. I can only think of 1 or 2 times in over 50 years of driving, where I had the front wear out before the other end. And always replace the tires before getting to the wear bars, except for that one time when there was a suspension issue that needed addressing. YMMV (pardon the pun).

^^^ One thing is that if you ever plan to use the manufacturer's mileage warranty, they will ask for documentation that the tires have been rotated.

And yes, I have used warranties... in fact, very recently.... my 60k mile Michelins were worn out after 25k miles and I got a new set of four for 25/60ths of the cost of a new set.... unfortunately, the tire guy talked me into the same Michelins so I may have to rinse and repeat... but next time I'll get a different model or a different brand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom