To (medicare) B or not to B?

My take is that if you are eligible for Medicare Part B, and do not take it, you are a fool.

It is cheap, heavily subsidized, and and a great insurance that would cost a LOT more of you had to take it from the private sector. If you cannot afford medicare part B, you cannot afford to retire.

People without Medicare Part B are the ones we hear about going bankrupt due to healthcare expenses.

Somewhere, I read that Medicare Part A (hospitalization) does not apply if you are admitted to the hospital "for observation." I guess, on admittance, you'd better not be too sick to care/ask about the difference.

I think this is true but in my experience with my mom, the hospitals tend to do what it takes in their coding/processing/admitting to insure that Medicare--not you--gets the bill; they're more likely to get paid, I'd guess.

As far as Part B, I have my own concierge doctor that I pay separately but still have/pay for Part B to avoid penalties later on should he/I decide we want to make a change.

My employer retiree insurance requires that I have Medicare part a and b or I lose my coverage. I had to send them proof.

I guess each "retiree" health insurance is different. Study the summary plan to see what is being offered.

We have retiree health coverage, including prescription plan, from my healthcare system former employer. Total cost for both of us is $150/month.

I retired at 62 so no Medicare yet. My coverage is very similar to the active employee coverage. Most services provided by the health system are covered 100%, no copays or deductibles.
At 65, I will sign up for Parts A and B.
This is required by retiree plan, which is then secondary.
My husband is 67, already pays for Part B.

With Parts A and B and retiree as secondary, we have complete coverage for very modest total premiums.
It was an easy decision in our case.

Not all FEHB plans require you to take B--Rural Letter Carriers for example and its premiums, deductibles etc are very modest. Tends to get very high marks from Checkbook,

When the Medicare came knocking on our door, the big decision was to take B or not, because the associated costs with Rural Letter Carriers were so low.

We did however land upon Aetna Direct with an even lower premium and no copay, deductible or coinsurance if the provider takes Medicare assignment and it is for a covered service. Also comes with a $900 per person reimbursement account. You can get Aetna Direct as a non-medicare person, but the "chat" people strongly advise against that.

Only this I found it doesn't cover that Medicare does, so we have to pay the copay etc is Chiropractic. Ends up being 8.11 per visit so not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom