Toothache treatment

Whoa! Had no idea that orthodontia could require so many teeth to be pulled.:eek:

For decades, I declined to get adult orthodontia for crowded lower incisors (the uppers came in straight) because it meant getting a healthy tooth pulled. Fortunately, Invisalign doesn't require extractions.

I'm pretty sure it was six but I think my father remembered four. Two at a time. I'm thinking four permanents and two baby, but I don't really know. The dentist said he doesn't like pulling good teeth but it apparently had to be done. He put them in a big jar and gave them to a dental school or university. Maybe my jaw wasn't big enough. I remember one tooth being pretty much in its own row. I used to stare at a particular cast of teeth at my orthodontist with the most stunningly disorganized teeth and didn't realize they were mine. When I got my braces off they mentioned it was mine.

Last edited:
Whoa! Had no idea that orthodontia could require so many teeth to be pulled.:eek:

For decades, I declined to get adult orthodontia for crowded lower incisors (the uppers came in straight) because it meant getting a healthy tooth pulled. Fortunately, Invisalign doesn't require extractions.

For many years it was SOP to extract 4 bicuspids to alleviate crowding. It often led to a look that many felt was esthetically less than optimum, because it could make the upper jaw/cheek look "sunken" compared to the chin and the rest of the facial features. I'm not sure what the current state-of-the-art approach is. I am old, retired, and never was much of an orthodontist, myself.

I'm simply amazed at this thread after running a year and Boho has still not given up on self diagnosis and treatment. BOHO, PLEASE GO TO A DENTIST AND GET AN EVALUATION.

I'm simply amazed at this thread after running a year and Boho has still not given up on self diagnosis and treatment. BOHO, PLEASE GO TO A DENTIST AND GET AN EVALUATION.

I understand that's what everyone thinks, whether they say it or not. I don't really want to argue that someone with a toothache shouldn't to the dentist, but the tooth doesn't appear to be dying, I've been mostly pain free for the last year, I've seen progress compared to 6 months ago, and only in the last week, when it somehow got aggravated (I have theories), have I tried a pain reliever (Extra Strength Tylenol - just 2).

I don't even use Sensodyne or other sensitive mouth toothpaste, and flossing doesn't hurt at all, which I do three times a day.

ibuprofen (Motrin) is more effective on toothaches than acetaminophen (Tylenol), from what I read. I think that's because there tends to be inflammation with toothaches and that's what ibuprofen treats, while Tylenol's masking of main is less effective. Someone in a recent post said she was in pain for weeks after a procedure and took Tylenol. Tylenol has fewer side effects though.

I made the mistake of sleeping part of last night on the bad side of my face. It caused pain that eventually subsided and I got a good night's sleep. No pain for breakfast but I just had liquid and applesauce to be careful. After carefully brushing the pain started. Throughout the day, swishing cold water in my mouth helped a lot. Whenever it was time to eat. I think saliva coated my sensitive area, totally eliminating the pain for a significant amount of time. I've been pain free for hours now.

I got sugarless gum with xylitol. Chewing any sugar free gum is good for teeth because of the saliva it produces, but Xylitol is especially good.

I have antibacterial mouthwash, and fluoride mouthwash. I'll consider getting Motrin in case I need it. It would be good for travelling if nothing else.

EDIT: I'm even drinking more tap water to get more dietary fluoride, and I'm thinking about alternating it with mineral water just in case there's not enough in the tap water.

Last edited:
Boho, I do not wish you a bad outcome, but if this blows up, as I think it may well do, I hope you'll let us know about it, as an informational, educational opportunity for others.

Boho, I do not wish you a bad outcome, but if this blows up, as I think it may well do, I hope you'll let us know about it, as an informational, educational opportunity for others.

+1

Attachments

• Mistakes.JPG
    Mistakes.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 110

Yes, I will. Good or bad, I plan on posting an update. It's been good all day today. I'm on normal food again, but I won't be chewing raw carrots on that tooth for a long while. But it will be getting a workout from gum.

BTW, the two times I went out shopping with a toothache, I noticed possible swelling on the bad side when the elastic from the mask was pressed against my cheeks. That's the only way I was able to see it, so that may be a good test for the future.

I think my problem was a fluid filled abscess that drained during the "major" toothache. Before the major toothache, I just had some pain when I snapped my teeth together when I woke up and was still in bed until I bit down a several times, then pretty much nothing during the day unless I swished water, which sometimes caused a sensation like maybe the abscess filled a little, until I bit down a few times. The last two days when I woke up, zero pain, and no weird sensation when biting down or after swishing.

This indicates an abscess can fill in (heal):

https://www.colgateprofessional.com/education/patient-education/topics/dental-treatments/abscess

Have dental X-rays performed six months later to confirm if healthy bone and tissue are filling the area of the abscess. If the bone does not fill in after the treatment, you may need to visit a periodontist who can surgically reshape the gum so that it is easier to keep clean, or an endodontist who can surgically remove a persistent abscess.

The blood that I saw the first time I water flossed increases the chances that the healing process caused the abscess to get smaller. I think there needs to be a wound before two pieces of flesh will grow together.

Last edited:
I think my problem was a fluid filled abscess that drained during the "major" toothache. Before the major toothache, I just had some pain when I snapped my teeth together when I woke up and was still in bed until I bit down a several times, then pretty much nothing during the day unless I swished water, which sometimes caused a sensation like maybe the abscess filled a little, until I bit down a few times. The last two days when I woke up, zero pain, and no weird sensation when biting down or after swishing.

This indicates an abscess can fill in (heal):

https://www.colgateprofessional.com/education/patient-education/topics/dental-treatments/abscess

The blood that I saw the first time I water flossed increases the chances that the healing process caused the abscess to get smaller. I think there needs to be a wound before two pieces of flesh will grow together.

An abscess is a rapidly enlarging sack of puss from an infected tooth. It causes pressure and pain. When (if) it pops, the pain subsides, or diminishes, but it is not indicative of a resolution of the original infection.
The infection is still there, but since the abscess (one of your body's defenses against having the bacteria spread all over your body) has popped, now the bacteria from the infection has more places it can go.

You have ignored two of your body's natural defenses agains catastrophic dental disaster, pain, and the abscess. Keep it up, and you will be in the ER at 3 in the morning sicker than sick.

There is a reason it takes a few years to get through dental school. They teach stuff like this that is important.

Emphasis mine:

https://www.emergencydental.com/blog/avoid-er-for-dental-emergencies/

"Although it is extremely rare, an untreated infection can become life threatening. This can be easily prevented by taking antibiotics."

I started gargling with warm salt water and I'm going to buy aspirin and/or ibuprofen (which I don't currently need) and a thermometer.

I won't keep going through cycles of pain and no pain indefinitely without seeing a dentist.

...got the thermometer...99.3 F after carrying my groceries home and eating nuts. So far so good.

Last edited:
Boho, if you didn't have over 1300 posts I'd swear you were trolling me. I read the link you included, and the only sentence you took to heart was the one that supported your course of action. You completely ignore all of the other advice. Antibiotics may, repeat "may" prevent the infection from becoming life threatening. They didn't work for the folks who had to be airlifted from my hospital to another hospital. They damn near died. DIED! As in DEAD. As in, exist no more. Antibiotics will not, without definitive mechanical treatment, make an infection from the pulp of a tooth resolve indefinitely. It may alleviate the symptoms for awhile, but without the proper treatment the infection, and the symptoms will rebound, and be more likely to be resistant to antibiotics. You are playing with fire here. Ok, I'm done.

Good luck. Carry on without me.

Dude...go see the dentist and get this fixed. Pay whatever it costs. Seriously.

There's no pain and no fever, and I'm taking the world's greatest care of my teeth and gums, that I can tell you. If I had pain for a couple of days, or fever, that's when it seems to be time for the dentist (based on these search results). My year long thing has been SO minor and mostly nothing and even the last week I haven't had 48 hours straight of pain. I'll take my temperature every day for a while.

Are you afraid of covid or dentists? Or just not willing to pay?

I don't care how good of care you take, it doesn't matter. Pain (any) is natures warning.

Are you afraid of covid or dentists? Or just not willing to pay?

I don't care how good of care you take, it doesn't matter. Pain (any) is natures warning.

1. I think it's almost inconceivable that I'd be one of the rare ones who dies or even one of the somewhat less rare ones who gets seriously ill considering all I'm doing. I'd like to see details of who has suffered serious consequences and how they took care of themselves. I don't expect that information to be available though.

2. I'd like to REALLY save my tooth, nerve and all, and I REALLY don't want to be one of the people who get 10 root canals or experience horrible pain for days as a result of a root canal. They need to work on making that just never happen.

3. I was never anywhere near on the path to early retirement. I'm here because I was banned from a regular investment forum for being too into stock picking techniques. I'd like to get a job, get my tooth in better shape, THEN maybe see a dentist after a bunch of research. I'm doing things with my diet and everything else to try closing those three tiny hole looking things in my "bad" tooth, which looks a whole lot better than those grey teeth a lot of people have mixed in with their white ones. My tooth isn't dying.

Last edited:
!. Yep, it's pretty rare to encounter a life threatening tooth emergency. I've seen one. HadEnuff has apparently seen more, I would defer to his/her experience. My case was Ludwig's angina. She was transferred from the ED to the OR post haste. She had four holes punched from her lower jaw/throat area (I can't describe it better medically) through the floor of her mouth and drains were placed. The offending tooth was extracted. She spent a good 4 days in the hospital.

"Considering all that I am doing" So you are self-diagnosing? Would you admit to that? Now you want the details of those who have suffered serious consequences and seek care information from them?

2. You REALLY want to save your tooth. Find yourself a competent dentist. Ask friends and family for referrals. There are plenty of shady characters out there but probably many more good actors.

3. I can't help you with anything here based on your posting other than you ain't closing any of those hole's if they are carious, they will continue.

"My tooth isn't dying"

Semper Fidelis!

Dental infections can spread to the face, sinuses, brain, bloodstream, or adjacent blood vessels and cause very serious illness (I see this frequently) or death. Sorry but my opinion is that your insights as to what may be going on with your toothache and what may be effective therapy are very poorly grounded. Although I'm a physician, this is not medical advice beyond saying you need to see a dentist, the sooner the better. That's all I have to offer on this thread, please take it in the spirit intended, which is to encourage you to get proper treatment.

Last edited:
I'll take on anyone in a test of tooth sensitivity! I swished so much cold water I bet I filled my cavities with goosebumps!

It's a new morning and my tooth is still good.

OP--
you are treating symptoms only--floss, mouthwash, etc for gum pain and Ibuprofen for tooth pain.

The reason is still there, most likely infection in the pulp or roots. It will not go away, and you could continue fighting this for a long time, or end up in the ER with severe pain, infection, etc.
You can not get adequate treatment without diagonsis.

Dental care is there to help save teeth, which is what you say you want to do.
So many here have advised seeing a dentist, but you continue to decline.
Good luck to you. I don't see a happy ending here.

It's not like I'm anti-science. Aside from my mild-to-no symptoms for much of the past year and taking my tooth and gum care to an even higher level now, I'm searching the literature for more information. I want to know how it could be possible that fluoride could make enamel thicker on the surface but not around the perimeter of a hole to narrow it. Something with measurements and other details from a formal study. I already found something on root caries being repaired with fluoride. I'd also like details on what's known about fighting tooth infections. Mouthwash can be used indefinitely unlike antibiotics. I wonder what kind of study found that antibacterial mouthwash isn't enough, that addresses how well the mouthwash worked, and how long it was tried. I seemed to be doing pretty well for a year.

Currently my tooth is slightly sensitive. I chewed gum way back there, where I don't usually chew anything, kind of aggressively. I'll go easier on it for a while.

Last edited:
Boho - two quick thoughts on this thread:

- you're willing to wait for, and try, stem cell therapy on your teeth but won't go to a dentist now?

- it sounds like much of your time is spent thinking about/treating your teeth. If you go to a good dentist (recommended by friends) and get this taken care of, you can pretty much forget about your teeth (except for normal maintenance).

Do yourself a favor and go to a dentist soon... you'll thank me later :)

Boho, so you are unemployed, looking for a job--you probably don't have the money to go to a dentist. You are sitting at home during this pandemic, your tooth is hurting and you are posting on this site to help with your anxiety. Most of us on this site are fortunate to be able to go to the dentist regularly. For most of us if our tooth hurts, we go to the dentist, get it fixed and pay whatever it costs. But not everyone is that fortunate. You have my sympathy, there is nothing worse than a toothache and I can't imagine what it is like not to have the funds to go to the dentist. Is there a dental school in you area with reduced rates you could go to? What about a dental clinic for those who cannot afford to pay?

Back
Top Bottom