Animals
CCR
DC5
Bee Gees

Also:
Abba
Santana
The Fleetwoods

I was really fortunate back in the day to have a job seating people at concerts in Albuquerque in the late 60's, early 70's. This was when people used to actually sit in their assigned seats. When the concert started, the ushers got to sit in the second row for free. I saw so many great bands that it's hard to choose.

1. Beatles ( never saw them.)
2. The Who ( Wow, they were great!)
3. Cream :)
4. Jimi Hendrix - so different and amazing
5. Led Zepplin - I saw them as they were first becoming famous - they were opening for the Turtles - and they blew everyone away.

Others I saw who were really great: Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkel, Three Dog Night, Chicago (but they were way too loud! my ears hurt for days,) Elton John, Creedance Clearwater, Leon Russell, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, and lots more. It was a pretty amazing time.

+1 on every band listed.

They all had their day... back in the day!
+2, haven't seen any I didn't like at some point in my days...

Little Feat
Allman Brothers
Marshall Tucker Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Talking Heads

Good list. DH and I have been to many concerts including a number of bands mentioned in this thread. The best by far was the Talking Heads back in the Remain in Light days. Amazing concert in every way - musically and visually. The crowd was dancing and partying the whole time.

Good list. DH and I have been to many concerts including a number of bands mentioned in this thread. The best by far was the Talking Heads back in the Remain in Light days. Amazing concert in every way - musically and visually. The crowd was dancing and partying the whole time.

the talking heads concert film "stop making sense" is available on netflix now.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

I was at show #1 of the filming (i think they shot at 3 shows) at the pantages theatre in L.A. One of my favorite shows ever..

Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Dead
Jethro Tull
Allman Bros
The Mahavishnu Orchestra
Gee need to throw in Little Feat

I'm detecting a regional bias here. Except for that last band. New York City!?!?! How did they get in there?

:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I thought that too harley. But dang, the Talking Heads were every kind of awesome back in the day.

I like almost every band listed so far. The first time i saw The Who was in 1966 or 1967 they were in Fargo and were the opening band for Herman's Hermits, practically everyone left after The Who were done.

Others I saw who were really great: Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkel, Three Dog Night, Chicago (but they were way too loud! my ears hurt for days,) Elton John, Creedance Clearwater, Leon Russell, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, and lots more. It was a pretty amazing time.

Wow!!!! Lucky you! I would have loved to have seen anyone of them.

Did you by chance read the book by Chuck Negron (SP?) of Three Dog Night? It was a pretty incredible story of his drug addiction.

Van Halen (David Lee Roth)
AC/DC
Boston
Led Zep (Kind of before our time, but my friend and I loved Zep)
Tie: Pink Floyd (same as Zep) and Guns N' Roses (a little later)

Helen said:
Wow!!!! Lucky you! I would have loved to have seen anyone of them.

Did you by chance read the book by Chuck Negron (SP?) of Three Dog Night? It was a pretty incredible story of his drug addiction.

No I haven't read it. I thought they put on a great show and I was surprised when I heard of his problems later. He seemed very alert and on his game in concert.

I was not surprised on the other hand when both Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died shortly after I saw them. They were both drinking straight out of the bottle on stage and both got progressively more slurred and even drunk by the end of the night. They were so good, but no one else I saw behaved that way on stage. They both seemed almost desperate. A little like some of the footage from of Amy Winehouse's concerts under the influence.

I don't know where my answer to Helen went... Wait, now I see it above.

STYX
REO Speedwagon
Boston
Billy Joel (I guess not a band technically)
Damn Yankees
Journey
Loverboy

Purron and Harley --Well of course, when you live in the cradle of Southern Rock, you HAVE to have some kind of regional bias. :)
And I agree, the Talking Heads--everything about them is fantastic.

Ronnie, I must say that Loverboy was an unexpected addition to your list. I clearly need to give those albums another listen. I'm afraid I lump them in with Billy Squier, an unfortunate victim of the worst music video every created.
However, we went to see a Journey tribute band (insert HFWR shudder here) and knew every word to every song, so that has to be worth something.

I'm afraid I lump them in with Billy Squier, an unfortunate victim of the worst music video every created.

Yes, what a shame. Billy Squire really cranked out some great tunes.

I forgot to put Heart on my list and I too should have added The Who.

It's looking like The Who may have made it to the most lists (I didn't count, just eyeballed it).

STYX
REO Speedwagon
Boston
Billy Joel (I guess not a band technically)
Damn Yankees
Journey
Loverboy

Hey, that's seven!! Oh I listed six :D

I went through a Styx and Loverboy period. We wore out Paradise Theater. Great album. Loverboy was a favorite in high school, too.

Earth Wind and Fire
Beach Boys
Beatles
Doobie Brothers
Chicago...

There were/are so many good ones !

flyfishnevada said:
Hey, that's seven!! Oh I listed six :D

I went through a Styx and Loverboy period. We wore out Paradise Theater. Great album. Loverboy was a favorite in high school, too.

I did cheat, but I didn't really count Billy Joel as a band and Damn Yankees was 1/4 Styx :)

Grateful Dead
Springsteen
The Who
Jackson Browne
The Monkees

(just checking to see if anyone is still paying attention :) )

Heh, like trying to pick a favorite child, which in my case is easy, since I only have one... :LOL:

Sarah, I reluctantly forgive you for the Journey tribute band. :p At least Journey had Neil Schon and Greg Rolie, from the original Santana band...

Okay, I'll try to pick five: Beatles, Zappa, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin

Honorable mention to: Stones, Jethro Tull, Yes, Eagles, Steely Dan

80s-90s: Van halen, Fixx, Talking Heads, Pearl Jam, REM

Can't leave out Clapton: Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes...

And a few guitar players: Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, SRV, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson

Not to mention: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Band, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Joni Mitchell, CSNY, Moody Blues...

I have spent six or seven hours in the past two days on youtube listening to music because of this thread. Brought back alot of music I had forgotten. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom