Total Knee Replacement 30 days on...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The good news
1. Was able to spend 45 minutes sitting in a chair weeding my neglected garden (using a weeding hoe) Heat and lack of stamina had me retreat to the air conditioning. I'll get out there again today hopefully.
2. I've been on early morning dog walking duty successfully for more then a week. This morning she lightly nudged her bell at 5AM but I knew better and around six she scratched and I took her out.
3. Haven't taken any pills in days but I did fall asleep with the ice machine running on the knee last night.
4. Showering, shaving and getting dressed in the morning isn't such a chore.

The bad news
1. I was awake at 5AM when the old dog hinted at going out. The darn knee just won't let me get comfortable
2. I'm icing it again this morning.

Perspective
There's a kind of a informal 'knee club' at physical therapy where the patients chat about what's good and bad... about 2 weeks ago a husband of the patient told me his wife wasn't doing well.. didn't say much and didn't look happy at all. I hadn't seen her these last 2 weeks when yesterday she called me over. She told me the morphine has made her so ill she had to be hospitalized but she was off it and feeling better.

Even though the knee still aches I am always reminded it could be worse.

Last edited:
Glad you're coming along so well.

It's a shame that controlled substances are required to maintain ability to get better. What's funny is those truly in pain taking morphine will act normal. If someone's not in pain, they'll act goofy.

Gov't. needs to limit such drugs to just a few kinds of doctors and pain management clinics. One big problem is theft of such drugs--as much as 45% of pills don't get properly used.

Before the surgery both of us received a lecture about not letting the pain 'get ahead of you'. Meaning take the pills. She said she followed their suggestion... and paid a price. I found those little pills to be murder on your body.

Before the surgery both of us received a lecture about not letting the pain 'get ahead of you'. Meaning take the pills. She said she followed their suggestion... and paid a price. I found those little pills to be murder on your body.

Do tell... not sure how many different knee procedures there are today, but I keep hearing they have gotten "better" and the down time is minimal. I am trying to hold off as long as I can, but its in my near future. I had ACL surgery from a tennis match blow out in my young 40's, then thought I was good and continued to play into my young 50's and ruptured my other leg Achilles (surgery), then came back from that and tore my hammy on my ACL leg. Back again trying to ease my way back into tennis at 53 and my ACL knee swells with fluid after every match and just doesn't feel right. I am an active guy so my question is are these new knees built for those of us who want to remain active in sports, or just walking down the street? I know what your saying... stop playing tennis!!

When it comes to bad knees (bone on bone) Sooner rather then later is my thought.

I've had bone-on-bone knees virtually 'forever', (even ran a marathon in 1984 wearing tensor bandages), and two orthopedic surgeons (in the past 19 years) have told me that "Sooner or later" I'll need replacements......both of them said make it 'later' if you can.

I've had bone-on-bone knees virtually 'forever', (even ran a marathon in 1984 wearing tensor bandages), and two orthopedic surgeons (in the past 19 years) have told me that "Sooner or later" I'll need replacements......both of them said make it 'later' if you can.

Sir, respectfully we are all different...
1) The thing is as you get older the surgery recovery will get more difficult. At 63 I found it difficult .. at 73?
2) I did the first knee at 61 because I was miserable and could barely walk and tried everything else. I subsequently had a precious painfree 1.5 years.

The question is simple be miserable or enjoy a pain free walk around the neighborhood?

Last edited:
The thing is as you get older the surgery recovery will get more difficult.

I guess, to quote Simon & Garfunkel:

"Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose"

:LOL:

I did the first knee at 61 because I could barely walk. I subsequently had a precious painfree 1.5 years.

Having done sporadic reading on the topic over the years it would appear that I'm one of the few 'lucky' ones for whom the pain/discomfort isn't intolerable.....so, as long as I don't have to get them done I won't.

Periodically I'll walk with a cane, but that's as much for my hip, (which acts up), as anything else....fast approaching 75...so far, reasonably good.

Having done sporadic reading on the topic over the years it would appear that I'm one of the few 'lucky' ones for whom the pain/discomfort isn't intolerable.....so, as long as I don't have to get them done I won't.

Periodically I'll walk with a cane, but that's as much for my hip, (which acts up), as anything else....fast approaching 75...so far, reasonably good.

Thinking about it... when I was at work I'd sit for a couple hours and try to get up. It was pretty ugly scene I'd be so stiff I could barely walk. Colleagues would come to my desk rather then make me walk..

It is all about Just how bad does it get. Me I need mobility to burn calories...

Thinking about it... when I was at work I'd sit for a couple hours and try to get up. It was pretty ugly scene I'd be so stiff I could barely walk. Colleagues would come to my desk rather then make me walk..

It is all about Just how bad does it get. Me I need mobility to burn calories...

Exactly....most people feel the pain more than I (luckily) do....(as my grandmother used to say about me "No sense, no feeling")......before I got sciatica, (which has thankfully almost totally abated now), I was regularly stair climbing, around 5,000 risers.

Can still generally walk for long periods, (latest trip walked up 418 stairs to a Norwegian viewpoint with no problems).

Mobility....I need it to maintain my (tenuous) grip on sanity...I'd go batshit crazy if I was unable to move around....I haven't been able to run for 20+ years, and I still feel pangs of nostalgia every time I see a runner/jogger.

Best of luck with your knees......I'll try and avoid joining the club as long as I'm able.

My SO is the poster child for total knees . He could bend 90 degrees the day after surgery . He went to rehab because I insisted but they graduated him at two weeks .He used a walker for three days and no cane ever . He has had both done and has full mobility .He is so glad he had them done because the knee pain had really gotten intolerable and He has a high pain threshold .

Best of luck with your knees......I'll try and avoid joining the club as long as I'm able.

Your description of your condition also describes mine almost exactly. As long as I can put it off, I will.

The good news
1. Was able to spend 45 minutes sitting in a chair weeding my neglected garden (using a weeding hoe) Heat and lack of stamina had me retreat to the air conditioning. I'll get out there again today hopefully.
2. I've been on early morning dog walking duty successfully for more then a week. This morning she lightly nudged her bell at 5AM but I knew better and around six she scratched and I took her out.
3. Haven't taken any pills in days but I did fall asleep with the ice machine running on the knee last night.
4. Showering, shaving and getting dressed in the morning isn't such a chore.

The bad news
1. I was awake at 5AM when the old dog hinted at going out. The darn knee just won't let me get comfortable
2. I'm icing it again this morning.

Perspective
There's a kind of a informal 'knee club' at physical therapy where the patients chat about what's good and bad... about 2 weeks ago a husband of the patient told me his wife wasn't doing well.. didn't say much and didn't look happy at all. I hadn't seen her these last 2 weeks when yesterday she called me over. She told me the morphine has made her so ill she had to be hospitalized but she was off it and feeling better.

Even though the knee still aches I am always reminded it could be worse.

Hang in there, Ray - rooting for your fast and full recovery!

Glad things are improving for you. Wishing you a continued good recovery.

The amount of damage on x-rays doesn't correlate to the amount of pain. If you're doing what you want to do despite the knee, keep on keeping on. If pain is limiting you, get the surgery. I was miserable and even a few blocks of walking was painful, plus it was affecting my gait and stressing my ankle and foot.

I'm at 28 days today, still taking a little pain medicine, but transitioning to Aleve now. I'm taking the dogs for short walks again. Still gardening from a chair. However my new knee is nice and bendy.

I'm at 28 days today, still taking a little pain medicine, but transitioning to Aleve now. I'm taking the dogs for short walks again. Still gardening from a chair. However my new knee is nice and bendy.

Great news! In a month you'll be dragging those dogs all over.

Congratulations, rayinpenn! Hope the recovery continues going well. For going through it twice and sharing so much about both experiences, you have been quite a help as I consider getting at least my right knee done sometime in the future. Still trying to hold off for now. For totally different reasons, both you and Nemo2 are an inspiration. My hope, as I am a scardey cat (and do I have experience with real live scardey cats) regarding surgery, is that my next 19 yrs will be like Nemo2's past 19. Time will tell.

At two months in, I'm amazed how swollen my knee still is. The tightness that causes is the biggest factor in my difficulty in sleeping and causing more pain in physical therapy than these exercises normally would.

I've been told by the therapists that they've seen swelling continue for some for 6+ months.

The scar is already fading into shades of skin tone.

Overall, still really happy it was done. I'm on the recumbent bike now as a start of going through my daily exercises.

Keep it up, Rayinpenn! Between the two of us, we'd kick butt in a three-legged race! :D

One thing that has surprised me is how joint pain comes and goes.

I used to be a runner, but two years ago, summer of 15, my hip was hurting so bad I needed a cane just to hobble across the living room. My doc sent me to an ortho who took x-rays and said I had moderate to severe arthritis. Then he did an MRI to refine the diagnosis and told me I was "well on track for a hip replacement, probably within just a few years."

But after a few months of taking it extremely easy, the pain gradually diminished. Today, two years later, I'm back to regularly doing 3-5 mile walks almost every morning, at a pace well under 15 minutes per mile.

So I don't think these things are nearly as predictable as we would like them to be. My mileage has certainly varied far more wildly than I expected.

My experience was totally different. I was on oxycotin, tramadol and a muscle relaxer for about 6 weeks. It was awesome. It allowed me to really work in p/t and recover fully. 6 months out. I went jogging over the 4th. My pain was severe without it and every therapist in my center said they can always tell when patients try to "play through the pain". Usually end up in p/t longer

I admire you guys who are living with the pain because my new knee feels so much better that I'm pissed that I waited so long. absolutely no way am I waiting with my right knee. My ortho says I've got some cartilage left and I am trying to keep it going through exercise, diet and supplements but the nanosecond it gets to bone on bone I'll be getting it replace.

the only thing I don't like is the scar and if I do long plane or car trips my knee stiffens up, but usually a couple laps around the car and it's feeling good.

I no longer see the value in living with pain.

Last edited:
Keep up the updates...

My DW is wanting a new knee since she is having some pain... but I know it is not horrible pain as she still gets 20K steps in and does Zumba and a cycle class in the same day (today being one of them)...

I think she thinks it will be go in, get it done and you are good to go :facepalm:

Update: the Mrs says the cost for the hospital was $34,000
That's 2 days hospital stay and say 3 hours surgery.

Insanity!

Back
Top Bottom