Tramp ships, freighters, and ocean liners...anyone use?

I've never sailed on a freighter/tramp steamer, and I don't know anyone who has, but I've, over the decades and correctly or incorrectly, acquired by osmosis some ideas about them.

The dream of traveling on these vessels appears to be, for the most part, a romanticist's illusion, à la Somerset Maugham. They're slow, often extremely slow, a half to a third the speed of ocean liners at best. Space is limited, very limited, perhaps less than a handful of passengers, with no common areas - they're working ships and freight takes priority.

If they do carry passengers, it's not cheap. Nowadays ship owners seek to employ less and less crew, and to designate crew members to cater to a couple guests requires additional personnel which equates to extra cost.

Tramp steamers are often/mainly/exclusively coastal, and sometimes/oftentimes don't know where their next port of call will be, and may sit at anchor for extended periods while awaiting cargo. They're generally older, smaller ships, pulling in less income, and with age comes a greater chance of R&R&R (rust, rats & roaches).

Go for it....I'd love to get feedback from someone who's actually done it.

Good summary/info. Thx

+1. There is certainly no need for a dinner jacket, boiled shirt, studs, etc.

A 'travel blazer' (Tilley, etc.) with matching trousers, button down shirt, tie and comfortable dark shoes would be quite sufficient. And as the OP has said that he intends to be away for a couple of months, presumably he would want to bring along at least one set of decent clothing for occasional restaurant dining.

They are quite upfront about their standards, and I don't think they are "getting away with" anything. They just want passengers to make a tiny bit of effort.

There is an unfortunate stereotype about Americans dining while wearing baseball caps, jeans and Hawaiian shirts; but plenty of US citizens are not slobs.
Agree. "Getting away with this". I meant attracting enough passengers to fill the ship given the aversion many Americans have for formal dress. I have no such aversion and obviously many others must not as well.

Back
Top Bottom