Transition to gmail

I'm overwhelmed by the responses and wanted to provide an update. I decided to do the transition and proceeded. I sent a massive email to my addressbook informing them of the change. Initially I set up gmail to draw messages from my old domain but it was drawing in a lot of old messages so I changed it to not draw messages but set my old domain up to send new messages to gmail.

I'm getting used to the gmail interface and I think I will eventually like it and be totally off Outlook. I really like the way gmail, contacts and calendar integrate together and across my laptop, android phone and andriod tablet. Very handy.

I've been changing email addresses with vendors sporadically... I need to do better there.

Today, I received a message about their new app.. Inbox by Gmail. Has anyone used this instead of gmail? If so, what do you think?

See https://www.google.com/inbox/

I'm overwhelmed by the responses and wanted to provide an update. I decided to do the transition and proceeded. I sent a massive email to my addressbook informing them of the change. Initially I set up gmail to draw messages from my old domain but it was drawing in a lot of old messages so I changed it to not draw messages but set my old domain up to send new messages to gmail.

I'm getting used to the gmail interface and I think I will eventually like it and be totally off Outlook. I really like the way gmail, contacts and calendar integrate together and across my laptop, android phone and andriod tablet. Very handy.

I've been changing email addresses with vendors sporadically... I need to do better there.

Today, I received a message about their new app.. Inbox by Gmail. Has anyone used this instead of gmail? If so, what do you think?

I used "inbox" for about a week when it came out in the lab. I wasn't a big fan of it because of what I would call "clunky" interfaces. It's been a few months, so they have most likely fixed many of the issues I had. It's kind of like Maps...when they changed to the most recent "big change", it was quite a pain to use...now it's easy as pie.

As for your changeover, I am glad to hear that it's going well!

Thanks for starting this thread. I contemplated this move before we went to our winter home, but there wasn't enough time. This now inspires me to start working this now.

Thanks for the update, pb4uski, glad to know it's going well. As I suspected, you will probably not feel the need to continue with Outlook once you become comfortable with gmail. I did try Inbox, but abandoned it because I have several email accounts for different purposes and I found it annoying to have notifications pop up and cumbersome to trace their origins across three different accounts. But that's just personal preference. I may give Inbox another try.

Thanks for starting this thread. I contemplated this move before we went to our winter home, but there wasn't enough time. This now inspires me to start working this now.

Actually, our winter rental was the impetus for the change. Our ISP does not allow outgoing mail to be sent from Outlook unless you are connected to their network so while we are away I would need to send outgoing mail through their webmail site, which is clunky and inconvenient.

I could have just continued to use gmail through Outlook but decided to make the jump.

Back
Top Bottom