Travel Plan 2023

I appreciate the info explanade and Teacher Terry. We will be hitting the big alpine villages first (as you correctly surmised) and will spend a day in Lucerne before heading home via Zurich. We may just enjoy the city that day.

June: "The territories trip": Guam and Saipan. Followed by the Australian external territories of Cocos/Keeling Islands and Christmas Island. Stops in Korea (overnight), Manila for a day, Perth (twice), Singapore (two nights), followed by a long day in Korea then back to USA.

October: "The RTW trip": Cape Town, South Africa safari, Mauritius, hiking in Western Australia, Lord Howe Island off of the eastern coast of Australia, back to USA.

I got home last night from 11 days in Europe. I went to Lucerne Switzerland, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague. It was an amazing trip. I saw castles, churches, palaces, beautiful countryside and the famous Stallburg where the Royal Lipizzaner horses train.

The last day In Prague we had a private tour for the 12 of us to tour a summer palace, a performance by musicians and a private home cooked dinner on the palace grounds that was so delicious. It was a small group of 27 women and one very nice man. The people were fun and my high school friend went also.

Nice trip!

This trip we walked 12-16k steps a day and I have been home 6 days and am really tired. I was attributing it all to jet lag but my son pointed out that I usually walk about half of that distance daily. This tour involved much more walking than Ireland and the guide walked fast. Glad I did it while I was still physically capable.

June: "The territories trip": Guam and Saipan. Followed by the Australian external territories of Cocos/Keeling Islands and Christmas Island. Stops in Korea (overnight), Manila for a day, Perth (twice), Singapore (two nights), followed by a long day in Korea then back to USA.

October: "The RTW trip": Cape Town, South Africa safari, Mauritius, hiking in Western Australia, Lord Howe Island off of the eastern coast of Australia, back to USA.

Guam, Saipan, Cocos and Christmas Island, now that's a trip. I was in Guam for a couple of nights many years ago, but not as a tourist.

Recently, for a lark I looked at travel info to Guadalcanal. Airfare is not cheap, nor travel time that convenient. So it's just a pipe dream.

Guam, Saipan, Cocos and Christmas Island, now that's a trip. I was in Guam for a couple of nights many years ago, but not as a tourist.

Many years ago, also not as a tourist, I spent three weeks traveling from Korea to Okinawa, Guam, Wake, Midway, and Adak. Interesting trip.

15 days in Scotland and northern England-help!

Our very fluid itinerary includes 6 days in Edinburgh and 3 in Glasgow. Still trying to figure out where to base ourselves for touring the Highlands. What are sights I must see and ones to skip. No car. Relying on public transportation.

We are going to Zion National Park in early May and then over to Sedona AZ. Flying into Las Vegas. Will be doing mostly hikes and sketching. We hike with light weight tripod chairs for easy sighting of sketch material. The sitting rocks are rarely in a good position for two people. Hoping for good weather.

I just got back from a trip to the Flagstaff area, including Sedona. I recommend the Pink Jeep Tour, I heard about it on this board. We did the broken arrow tour, it was great. From Flagstaff we went to the Grand Canyon and then there are three National Monuments in the area that we all really enjoyed. Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon, and Wupatki. It was a wonderful trip. I would add that Sedona was very crowded we were there on a Friday.

Our very fluid itinerary includes 6 days in Edinburgh and 3 in Glasgow. Still trying to figure out where to base ourselves for touring the Highlands. What are sights I must see and ones to skip. No car. Relying on public transportation.

You might consider Rabbie's tours. They have very short ones too with a modest amount of people. We went on one some years ago from Edinburgh to the Isle of Skye.

Leaving for Egypt on Tuesday. A couple of days in Cairo/Giza, 5-day Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan, a couple days in Aswan including a day trip to Abu Simbal, then head for Port Ghalib and a week on a dive boat on the Red Sea. We splurged for business class tix - they were reasonable for business class, $2150 from IAD to Cairo. It is a red eye going over so worth it to me. Coming back are two day flights with an overnight in Zurich, so biz class wasn't necessary but still really nice! BTD.

A follow-up - Egypt was amazing. I would strongly recommend a small group with a guide in Cairo/Giza. We used Egypt Tailor Made for that leg. For two couples it was $660 for two days with a guide and driver (plus tip). They asked if we could start at 7:30 and we said sure. It turns out that Europeans and bus tour groups arrive at the pyramids much later, so by arriving at 7:35 we had the whole great pyramids area almost to ourselves. We have dozens of pictures with no one else in the frame.

For the Nile cruise and Red Sea diving we were with Aggressor Adventures (really only of interest for divers).

Our tour guides in Giza/Cairo and on the Nile cruise were both masters degree Egyptologists with 17 and 21 years experience, respectively. We didn't really stress that in our reservations, but I think making sure your tour guides are "senior" is worthwhile.

Attachments

• 01addabbabcb70958960f20a3fe143f91902428c1c.jpg
    01addabbabcb70958960f20a3fe143f91902428c1c.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 48
Us grant, really nice that you were there without the crowds. Much more enjoyable.

Many years ago, also not as a tourist, I spent three weeks traveling from Korea to Okinawa, Guam, Wake, Midway, and Adak. Interesting trip.

That trip was free for you. And you probably got to sit in the cockpit too.

A follow-up - Egypt was amazing. I would strongly recommend a small group with a guide in Cairo/Giza. We used Egypt Tailor Made for that leg. For two couples it was $660 for two days with a guide and driver (plus tip). They asked if we could start at 7:30 and we said sure. It turns out that Europeans and bus tour groups arrive at the pyramids much later, so by arriving at 7:35 we had the whole great pyramids area almost to ourselves. We have dozens of pictures with no one else in the frame.

For the Nile cruise and Red Sea diving we were with Aggressor Adventures (really only of interest for divers).

Our tour guides in Giza/Cairo and on the Nile cruise were both masters degree Egyptologists with 17 and 21 years experience, respectively. We didn't really stress that in our reservations, but I think making sure your tour guides are "senior" is worthwhile.

Maybe we had the same guides. Our two guys were always urging us to get up and go early so we could beat the crowds (and the heat). And our small group of ten former sailors and spouses was always game for that.

Glad your Egypt trip was a success. I may look into your guide for Cairo/Giza. A friend of mine (ex-coworker) and I are going to Egypt in October to dive and sightsee. We're diving with a land-based operation out of Marsa Shagra called Red Sea Diving Safari, then considering a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan after that, ideally wrapping up with a Cairo area tour prior to flying out.

How did you find the Nile Queen?

Last edited:
Glad your Egypt trip was a success. I may look into your guide for Cairo/Giza. A friend of mine (ex-coworker) and I are going to Egypt in October to dive and sightsee. We're diving with a land-based operation out of Marsa Shagra called Red Sea Diving Safari, then considering a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan after that, ideally wrapping up with a Cairo area tour prior to flying out.

How did you find the Nile Queen?

The Nile Queen was great - Muhammad was an excellent guide. It is part of Aggressor Fleet which is really a dive operation, so might not be the best price. We used them because our group was on the Red Sea Aggressor IV for diving.

In any case, definitely use a Dahabiya for your Nile Cruise - only 16 or so passengers in your tour group and you can get to places the large Nile cruisers cannot.

A follow-up - Egypt was amazing. I would strongly recommend a small group with a guide in Cairo/Giza. We used Egypt Tailor Made for that leg. For two couples it was $660 for two days with a guide and driver (plus tip). ....

is that $660 pp or per couple or total for all 4 people ?

We are finally going to visit Monterey CA early next month. Visit the famous aquarium, Cannery Row, hiking along the beaches/cliffs, wildlife watching. Thanks to RobbieB we’re spending a few nights at the Monterrey Bay Inn before moving inland Pacific Grove area. Looking forward to good eats and cool weather too.

I always been meaning to visit, but we never got around to it. That’s kind of what I’ve been working on lately - places we always meant to visit but hadn’t gotten around to.

This one is going to end up in the Blow That Dough thread.
This almost didn’t happen! We had a horrible storm Friday night with 80mph winds which knocked out power across most of the Valley. It took the whole weekend plus Monday to clear the power mess. At first we didn’t expect our power to be restored until 10pm the night before our Tuesday flight.

With poor cell coverage and no internet and conserving device power we were pretty incommunicado most of the time, just occasionally checking on things. So other than occasionally checking AEP Texas status and texts we had no news.

Fortunately our power was restored late Sunday (after 42 hours). And I noticed that flights had already resumed normal operations by Saturday evening. We were able to catch up on our errands Monday. Still lots of downed trees and damage - tall signs blown out, highway signs ripped apart, street lights torn up, even railroad crossing arms broken. Had to drive carefully. We left the outside freezer closed the whole time. The inside fridge freezer which we mostly left closed the ice had just barely started to melt so I think we’re OK.

We’re on our first flight out now. I’m posting from the plane as we now have free wifi via T-Mobile on United.

Last edited:
Hope you get better weather when you arrive.

It rained here overnight in parts of the Bay Area, which is unheard of in May. Temperatures dipped under 60 here during the day so I would imagine Monterey might be 50-55 during the day.

We're suppose to get some sun by Friday and gradual warming.

Last year we spent 3 months driving to and touring Alaska and the Canadian Rockies. 11780 mile trip.

This year we are going to Newfoundland via Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia then onto the ferry. Our return route is back on the ferry and then down through Maine, Mass., Conn., RI, NY, NJ, Delaware, and then back home via the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountains.

This will be our fifth consecutive year touring the US, and will complete our 50 state sweep of camping.

Next year we plan to cross the Canadian border at the Soo and tour the north shore of Lake Superior and then onto Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Southern BC. Then down the Pacific coast and back home via Big Bend NP in Texas, this will complete our visits to every NP that is drivable.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 33
Last year we spent 3 months driving to and touring Alaska and the Canadian Rockies. 11780 mile trip.

This year we are going to Newfoundland via Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia then onto the ferry. Our return route is back on the ferry and then down through Maine, Mass., Conn., RI, NY, NJ, Delaware, and then back home via the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountains.

This will be our fifth consecutive year touring the US, and will complete our 50 state sweep of camping.

Next year we plan to cross the Canadian border at the Soo and tour the north shore of Lake Superior and then onto Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Southern BC. Then down the Pacific coast and back home via Big Bend NP in Texas, this will complete our visits to every NP that is drivable.

Wow, sounds like some memorable driving/camping trips!

We just booked a place in Asheville NC for the month of October. Will use it as a base to explore the region for the first time.

Planning on seeing friends in Wilmington and road trip to Charleston. Also Biltmore.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom