Tricare and federal dental coverage

jmhibbs401

Confused about dryer sheets
In a meeting today, several of us retirees were told that you could let the Dental provider that accepts Tricare know you use Tricare Prime or standard and that would change the rate at which you are billed thru your primary dental coverage (Non Delta Dental). Does any of this sound true? Called Tricare and they said call DD but they only have automated systems and no real person to talk to. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

In a meeting today, several of us retirees were told that you could let the Dental provider that accepts Tricare know you use Tricare Prime or standard and that would change the rate at which you are billed thru your primary dental coverage (Non Delta Dental). Does any of this sound true? Called Tricare and they said call DD but they only have automated systems and no real person to talk to. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Sorry, I apparently know less than you do about this. What kind of dental provider accepts Tricare, and for what type of service? I think Tricare, in some cases, covers oral surgery. But for normal dental care (fillings, exams, extractions, etc), I can't see how having Tricare would affect what I pay the dentist. I'm willing to learn more, and would like to find an angle to reduce the cost of dental care. I think most military retirees do what we do--we pay out of pocket for it.

As a mil retiree, I opted out of dental coverage...the cost savings just weren't there. And as to the original question...well, I don't see why it would matter if you had Prime of Standard, the dental coverage is a whole different coverage. Even the Tricare website says,
Dental coverage is separate from TRICARE's medical coverage
https://www.tricare.mil/Dental.aspx

And what "meeting" was this you had? The 3rd aisle at the Commissary? ;)

As a mil retiree, I opted out of dental coverage...the cost savings just weren't there. And as to the original question...well, I don't see why it would matter if you had Prime of Standard, the dental coverage is a whole different coverage. Even the Tricare website says,
https://www.tricare.mil/Dental.aspx

And what "meeting" was this you had? The 3rd aisle at the Commissary? ;)

Clean up on isle 3!!:LOL:

Completely variable. Every dentist does his or her own thing.

For example, my dentist "accepts" no insurance of any kind from anyone.
He is happy to bill any dental insurance you may have and take what they pay, but then he bills me for the difference between that and whatever he charged.

And at that I'm lucky because my friend's dentist bills him first and he has to get reimbursed from his dental insurance.

Actually I'm double lucky because we have good subsidized dental insurance from DW's former employer (they continue to offer it to retirees).

That's what I said. I've been retired 21 years and nobody has invited me to a meeting like that.

I recall attending such a meeting 7-8 years ago when I was booted from Tricare Prime and just prior to being enrolled in TFL. Recall being loaded up with much reading material. Could DD in original OP be referring to Delta Dental?

FWIW I have never thought that dental insurance (not really insurance anyway) was ever worth the cost, but it's an individual option.

Back
Top Bottom