Trivia

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
We have been playing trivia at our local pub . We have had a great time until this week . The boss of trivia has allowed large groups . Last night there were Tables of 12 and 14 and they were even sharing an answer between tables . I complained but the trivia boss said it was fine and he was going to allow this . Most of the groups are 3 or 4 people and there were no problems until last night .Was I wrong in complaining ?

If it's America's Pub Quiz, they sometimes reward teams with bonus points for turning out a lot of players. The goal is to get people out to eat/drink, not fairness.

The pub quiz I participate in has regular invitational tournaments, and teams there are limited to six players.

If it's America's Pub Quiz, they sometimes reward teams with bonus points for turning out a lot of players. The goal is to get people out to eat/drink, not fairness.

The pub quiz I participate in has regular invitational tournaments, and teams there are limited to six players.

It's a trivia called B trivial .

We play every Thursday. The company that runs trivia night for many taverns in town limits teams to 8 players. There have been issues of teams sharing answers but usually a word from the host cuts that out.

PS.
We won last week. Free pizza and wings tonight!

You are in the right. We play trivia in various places and they always limit the group numbers.

Thanks ! We had such a great time before He let it get crazy . Last night even with the huge tables we were third but to me It's just not fair .

We have been playing trivia at our local pub . We have had a great time until this week . The boss of trivia has allowed large groups . Last night there were Tables of 12 and 14 and they were even sharing an answer between tables . I complained but the trivia boss said it was fine and he was going to allow this . Most of the groups are 3 or 4 people and there were no problems until last night .Was I wrong in complaining ?
Questioning it once wasn't wrong. But the trivia boss said it was fine. So just don't complain any more.

Either accept the large tables and answer-sharing and enjoy it anyway, or move on to some other pub that has trivia with stricter rules.

Questioning it once wasn't wrong. But the trivia boss said it was fine. So just don't complain any more.

Either accept the large tables and answer-sharing and enjoy it anyway, or move on to some other pub that has trivia with stricter rules.

The real question is: are there rules, or not? If none, then, I guess your recommendation is correct. If there ARE rules, and the "Trivia Boss" is just ignoring them, then it is right to call BS.

It might not help (maybe Trivia Boss brings in more paying customers?).

The real question is: are there rules, or not? If none, then, I guess your recommendation is correct. If there ARE rules, and the "Trivia Boss" is just ignoring them, then it is right to call BS.

It might not help (maybe Trivia Boss brings in more paying customers?).

There were rules but He has decided to ignore them .I will probably quit for awhile .

Who are you going to "call BS" to? The Trivia Police? The Trivia Supreme Court?

It's a (presumably free) game. Either enjoy it, play elsewhere, or don't play.

Who are you going to "call BS" to? The Trivia Police? The Trivia Supreme Court?

It's a (presumably free) game. Either enjoy it, play elsewhere, or don't play.

If the game has established rules (written, published or otherwise distributed), then it is BS to ignore them. Fair game to call out the Trivia Boss. If they then choose to ignore their own rules, then, yes, I would move on.

If the game has established rules (written, published or otherwise distributed), then it is BS to ignore them. Fair game to call out the Trivia Boss. If they then choose to ignore their own rules, then, yes, I would move on.

"Hey Trivia Boss, I'm calling you out!" Okay.

Which higher authority are you suggesting should be appealed to here?

Maybe I'm missing some official government Trivia authority here. Are there published Trivia laws where you live?

"Hey Trivia Boss, I'm calling you out!" Okay.

Which higher authority are you suggesting should be appealed to here?

Maybe I'm missing some official government Trivia authority here. Are there published Trivia laws where you live?

If the trivia group is organized under some official group, then there could be rules and a chain of command to report this to.

But if the bar owner is happy with all these people coming in, and they would not come in if they could not have the large teams you are probably tilting at windmills. Worth a try to get it made fair, but be ready to move on.

-ERD50

Thanks everybody , I will just let it go or go elsewhere . By the way Joeea you probably belong to one of those huge rule breaking trivia teams or else you really have adapted George's personality.

I don't go to bars; since I don't drink I feel like a fish out of water at bars. But if I did, here is what I would be thinking:

It seems to me that the whole point of trivia, from the customers' point of view, is to have FUN, which might inspire them to drink more and want to come back. You didn't have fun! I wouldn't have, either.

So if it was me, I'd either go to other bars, or go to that bar on nights that were not trivia nights. It's not worth it to participate in something that is upsetting to you and your SO. In a sense, you were cheated out of the fun you thought you would have and that's no good.

I don't go to bars; since I don't drink I feel like a fish out of water at bars. But if I did, here is what I would be thinking:

It seems to me that the whole point of trivia, from the customers' point of view, is to have FUN, which might inspire them to drink more and want to come back. You didn't have fun! I wouldn't have, either.

So if it was me, I'd either go to other bars, or go to that bar on nights that were not trivia nights. It's not worth it to participate in something that is upsetting to you and your SO. In a sense, you were cheated out of the fun you thought you would have and that's no good.

A lot of people go to bars and do not drink they go there for the food and atmosphere . We had a lot of fun in the beginning at trivia . It was just last week when the group sizes got sooo big that it stopped being fun .I am taking a break from it .

A lot of people go to bars and do not drink they go there for the food and atmosphere . We had a lot of fun in the beginning at trivia . It was just last week when the group sizes got sooo big that it stopped being fun .I am taking a break from it .

I think that is a smart idea. Just take a break from it and enjoy the evening some other way. We don't live forever so we might as well get the most out of life.

I know, you *should* be able to go have a pleasant evening playing trivia at that bar, but it sounds like it just isn't going to happen since they are letting some people get away with so much. I'll bet that if enough people stop coming to trivia night, pretty soon they won't be having trivia night any more.

Now that you mention it, it's true that we used to go to a sports bar down the street for the (terrific!) food. But in that case its atmosphere was pretty bad. It's one of those sports bars where the male customers don't talk, they shout (so any conversation is impossible). They get obnoxiously drunk and "in your face", too, so even with ear protection it is annoying. Plus their bar stools are the uncomfortable type and they don't have tables and chairs. We still sometimes get take out food from there.

Thanks everybody , I will just let it go or go elsewhere . By the way Joeea you probably belong to one of those huge rule breaking trivia teams or else you really have adapted George's personality.

I used to play for a team during an annual Trivia Challenge fundraiser for charity.

We never cheated, even though a few other teams did. We also decided it wasn't worth whining about and just had fun anyway. It wasn't really about the winning, just the playing.

Life's too short to get bothered about every minor injustice.

Life's too short to get bothered about every minor injustice.
I agree and I am rarely bothered by small stuff but this does bug me so I am going to take a break and see how I feel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom