Trying to Help a Friend with a Projection TV......

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
One of my best friends is pretty pissed. He got a 55 inch projection TV from a contest he won 5 years ago. All of a sudden, the red projection bulb went. He called Samsung and they told him the set was discontinued and they couldn't get him a new bulb.

Any ideas where one could find a projection bulb, maybe an obscure website where hard to find things can be found? He did some checking on the Internet but no luck. Without it, the TV is toast.........:p

Any ideas where one could find a projection bulb, maybe an obscure website where hard to find things can be found? He did some checking on the Internet but no luck. Without it, the TV is toast.........:p
The best way I have found to locate replacement parts for just about anything is to just google the part number. Anything from a replacement water filter for the fridge to a new fan for my oven/microwave combo was an easy find. If there is not a part number, try using the model number and "replacement parts" or "projection bulb".

I've got a similar problem with needing a new remote control unit for a tv i bought 4yrs ago,seems the company (Sylvania) doesnt make or stock parts for this tv any longer,I've tried 3 different universal remotes but they dont seem to work on this tv.So the tv has been added to the mountain of useless electronic junk thats accumulating in my basement.:rolleyes:

I'm very happy with our All In One universal remote, but only because the old remote worked well enough to program the new one. What's wrong with your old remote -- you may be able to fix it (related thread).

Its been lost for more than a year.I didnt mind getting up to change a chanel in the pre cable days when you had the choice of 3 or 4 chanels but noW with over 100 chanels i dont have time to go through all the chanels one at a time...I was hoping to let the kids use the tv for their gaming systems but without the remote there is no way i can see to access the "input select" feature to allow games to be played,i've tried doing it manually from the tv menu and i do access a game chanel but the only option it gives me is game chanel on or delete,entering "on" does not seem to do anything to allow me to play a game all i get is a screen full of snow/rice:confused:

Lost Remote Suggestion

Jambo: If you have a recliner that you haven't moved it in a while you might want to look inside the back under the fabric cover. We had a waste basket right beside the recliner and I kept accusing my kids of knocking the remote (and replacements!) off the table into the trash. One day I moved the recliner, and there were the original and 2 replacement universal remotes just collecting dust. We have plenty of spares now :D !

Two other things:

6% of lost remotes are found in the refrigerator.

You can usually find the original remote on EBay or by googling the model number.

I have all my remotes tethered to a bureau next to the TV,this particular remote was never seen again after a visit from my friend and his Rottweiler,i suspect the dog ate it as i noticed the tether string was empty a few hours after they left.

Our Sony remote just died, so now it's too late to program the functions into the One For All.

Now I have to decide whether to spend $50 to purchase a new one at, for example, http://www.remotecontrolscenter.com/

Back
Top Bottom