TurboTax Max Discount Watch

Thanks for this thread. I saw the price change this morning and ordered, but forgot about the $10 bundle (missed it). I was able to cancel and reorder with the $10 gift card. Once again er.org saves me money!

I've always used Premier because that's the version Fidelity provided for free. They dumped me from "the list" last year. But I still bought Premier from Amazon due to some complicated real estate sales. But for this year, I'm thinking of stepping down to Deluxe for $27 (net). All we have now is a bunch of 1099s and investment stuff that we download from Fidelity. What's the main reason people buy Premier? I just read a bunch of online comparisons and I don't see any tangible differences. Thanks.

We had no problem switching back to Deluxe when Fidelity dropped us for a couple of years.

You will be fine with Deluxe. Prior year stuff imported fine.

Deluxe handles foreign tax credit just fine. We always have foreign tax credits enough to file Form 1116.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, that’s the one!

Just bought and already uploaded Premier to my Mac - effectively $54.99 vs $104.99 list. Lovely!

Excellent Midpack. You saved 5000 pennies from just waiting. Certainly more than just a few. :dance:

anyone here have foreign tax credit from their mutual funds + earn some nominal consulting/freelance 1099 income?

Debating between $30 cheaper Deluxe disk or Home & Business disk - but can't get a clear answer on whether Deluxe version can handle 1099 income and expenses without a lot of extra time/angst.

(Premiere is so close price wise to H&B, that if Deluxe wasn't the best fit, I'd just stick w/H&B in that case.)

Last edited:
Yup, it beats my Amazon Black Friday deal by $1. :dance:

I jumped on the Black Friday deal to give me time to sort out some state tax issues. But the state forms are not yet available. But don't worry, they should be available "by Dec. 21." :facepalm:

I'm thinking of stepping down to Deluxe for $27 (net). All we have now is a bunch of 1099s and investment stuff that we download from Fidelity. What's the main reason people buy Premier?

Like you, I got Premier free from Fidelity until they took it away in 2018. I bought Premier in 2018 and 2019, but have used Deluxe ever since. It handles basic 1099 stuff. However when I sell any of my ESPP stock from a prior employer, I think I'll need Premier to handle that correctly (I see that I bought Deluxe in 2019 and upgraded to Premier for that reason).

Thanks to all for sharing the links. I almost bought Deluxe for 44.99 _without_ the gift card.

anyone here have foreign tax credit from their mutual funds + earn some nominal consulting/freelance 1099 income?

Debating between $30 cheaper Deluxe disk or Home & Business disk - but can't get a clear answer on whether Deluxe version can handle 1099 income and expenses without a lot of extra time/angst.

It has been some time, but when I had that situation (Schedule C) I remember using Deluxe with no problem. I would recommend trying it, and if you need to upgrade to Premier it's easy to do from within the application.

Thanks, Midpack, for starting this thread.

Thanks, JoeWras, for notifying us today's deal!

Just ordered my TT with gift card.

omni

(Premiere is so close price wise to H&B, that if Deluxe wasn't the best fit, I'd just stick w/H&B in that case.)

Deluxe handles foreign tax credit just fine. We have to deal with it every year. Both Deluxe download and Premier handle it and we’ve used both.

In the past we had also done Schedule C with Deluxe, but it’s been a very long time now.

Last edited:
OK, so what does the 'Download' step look like on a Windows 10 PC ??

Is there some file in my Outlook Email to download ?
Something on the Amazon website ? On the Intuit Site ??

OK, so what does the 'Download' step look like on a Windows 10 PC ??

Is there some file in my Outlook Email to download ?
Something on the Amazon website ? On the Intuit Site ??

You click on a link and it downloads to your computer. Find the file in your downloads folder and click on it and it will install. My system usually says something like “download complete - do you want to open the file?” and I just click on that. You can’t mess it up. Amazon stores your purchase so you can download again if needed.

Like you, I got Premier free from Fidelity until they took it away in 2018. I bought Premier in 2018 and 2019, but have used Deluxe ever since. It handles basic 1099 stuff. However when I sell any of my ESPP stock from a prior employer, I think I'll need Premier to handle that correctly (I see that I bought Deluxe in 2019 and upgraded to Premier for that reason).

Thanks to all for sharing the links. I almost bought Deluxe for 44.99 _without_ the gift card.

I buy Premier to deal with ESPP. TT handles ESPP shares well, so well that I’ve forgotten how to do them manually.

Once I retire, I’ll start buying Deluxe.

Terry --
Thanks, I found it in the Downloads folder. This new PC is so dam quick, and I didn't get a message saying "Download Complete' so I had clicked on it again (now there's two copies in the folder). I should be able to sort it out from here.

I swear some of these new computing programs are baffling. I've had a PC on my desk since 1984, and I am astounded by some of these routines.....Old School, I guess.

Hmm I can't install it using firefox. After the "download" which resulted in an empty folder, I am trying again on chrome but it says the download will take 1 hour?! Should have bought the disk or something else I guess.

Got mine as well.

Kinda funny how Turbotax is a download, but they are sending a physical card for the gift card. Almost like they hope you misplace it and never use it:D

I've gone back and forth between Deluxe and Premier, mostly because the latter handles Roth conversions (and Foreign Tax Credits?) more smoothly among other details.

That said, all desktop versions of TurboTax have ALL the forms, they just don't include ALL of them in the interview process. And TT certainly doesn't want consumers to know that. If you know exactly what forms you need, you could use TT Basic - you just won't get the interview handholding. I've used Deluxe but had to bring up some forms and complete them manually. Not as easy, but entirely doable. I choose Premier because taxes are too important to play around IMO and on sale it's $20 extra vs Deluxe?

Here are all the forms included with TT Basic (surprising huh?). There are bunch of them you'll never see from the interview, but they are all there to open and complete.

After years of having a CPA do our taxes due to their complexity, post-divorce I finally achieved relative simplicity (and a lower tax bracket), so I used the IRS's Free File with Online Tax Preparation Companies. That met all my needs.

This year might be slightly more complicated because I sold a foreign property, but I think the minimal capital gains will be easily canceled out by the expenses and foreign taxes. Anyone know if I'm still good with the IRS's Free File? I fall under the program's $73,000 AGI threshold, so I still qualify.

I do one return on a Windows machine, and 4 returns on Macs. Therefore, I usually get the disc version (which has both flavors). If you go the download route, can you download both versions, or are you committed to all PC or Mac?

Got mine as well.

Kinda funny how Turbotax is a download, but they are sending a physical card for the gift card. Almost like they hope you misplace it and never use it:D

Last year, my gift card never came. I reported it and Amazon credited $10 back to my credit card. So don't forget about it.

I do one return on a Windows machine, and 4 returns on Macs. Therefore, I usually get the disc version (which has both flavors). If you go the download route, can you download both versions, or are you committed to all PC or Mac?

Single downloaded file can be installed on PC or Mac. You can also install it on multiple machines if needed, however you're still limited to 5 returns.

Just downloaded home and business version on amazon (have rentals and do taxes for a relative who is a realtor). Thanks for the tip!

Thank you! Frank forgot to get Turbotax a month or two ago when I got it; at that time they had the same deal (briefly).

So, I just forwarded him the info and hopefully he can get it tonight before the deal ends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom