Turkey Quality

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you think that a name brand or locally grown fancy turkey is likely to be better than a store-brand frozen turkey.

For Thanksgiving we had a very inexpensive Safeway frozen turkey. It was excellent -- but could it have been better?

I've got to say that I prefer the Butterball turkeys. That said, I can't really say I've had a bad one even with the no-names that I've tried. Most likely it's all in my head!

I don't know if there is a clear answer to your question. You may find this interesting, America's Test Kitchen did an episode where they roasted a number of different kinds of turkeys and did taste tests. The link is a summary of the information.

America’s Test Kitchen :: Taste Tests

I would say how you prepare and cook it is probably more relevant than the brand.

We had the $0.45 per pound el cheapo turkey (Jennie O brand IIRC) this year. I didn't see any store brand turkeys here (at Food Lion). It was delicious and moist. We marinated it in a seasoned brine bath for a day or two before cooking. Turned out well and guests loved it. Much better than the Butterball that SIL insisted on (and subsequently overcooked so that it was dry).

For Thanksgiving we had a very inexpensive Safeway frozen turkey. It was excellent -- but could it have been better?

We had the same (cooked in an electric roaster), and it too was excellent. A couple of years ago, my wife ordered an expensive fresh organic/free range turkey and it was far from the best we've had (a bit dryer and chewier). On the other hand, the forzen store brand turkeys, injected with all that salt water, have been quite tasty.

There really are only two great ways to cook a turkey. Deep fried or smoked. Anything else is just a compromise. With either of the two great methods, the process overcomes just about any shortcomings in the raw bird.

We paid through the nose for a Shady Brook brand fresh turkey that we preordered at our local IGA for this Thanksgiving. The bird was bruised as if it had been slaughtered with a baseball bat. The breast skin was was torn, the tail was half missing and the carcass only contained half a stomach and no liver. We've had plenty of 29 - 39¢ per pound frozen turkeys that were better.

There really are only two great ways to cook a turkey. Deep fried or smoked. Anything else is just a compromise. With either of the two great methods, the process overcomes just about any shortcomings in the raw bird.

I agree that deep fried is good; we alternate every other year with frying two smaller (~14lb) birds versus roasting one large (19-20lb) bird. Frying also has a significant advantage with regards to cooking time, but the 2-3 gallons of peanut oil adds quite a bit to the overall cost of the meal.

I would say how you prepare and cook it is probably more relevant than the brand.

We had the $0.45 per pound el cheapo turkey (Jennie O brand IIRC) this year. I didn't see any store brand turkeys here (at Food Lion). It was delicious and moist. We marinated it in a seasoned brine bath for a day or two before cooking. Turned out well and guests loved it. Much better than the Butterball that SIL insisted on (and subsequently overcooked so that it was dry).

You may have overpaid. We got one for $0.28/pound at an ethnic store (Fiesta Mart). It didn't taste "ethnic" -- not even sure what that would be, as food is food, but it was indeed a Jennie-O. I smoked it (in a meat smoker) and it was eaten pretty quickly.

Last edited:
You may have overpaid. We got one for $0.28/pound at an ethnic store (Fiesta Mart). It didn't taste "ethnic" -- not even sure what that would be, as food is food, but it was indeed a Jennie-O. I smoked it (in a meat smoker) and it was eaten pretty quickly.

I try not to fret over spending a buck or two extra on grocery items if I can save time and save auto related travel expenses! :D

After I smother the turkey with a ladle full of gravy, I don't know that I could tell the finer distinctions between a high end bird and a low end bird. :D

Did the brine bath this year for the first time and the turkey came out excellent. Best I've ever had, and it was the cheaper store brand turkey.

Back
Top Bottom