Turning hobby into $$ ?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So with everyone enjoying RE have any of yall turned a hobby into a small money making gig?
I thought about photography and did lots of sports and some studio portraits while still working but decided I didn't want to be tied down and have to deal with the public as much. I enjoy reading novels and have developed a knack to find errors as I read. It helps to be OCD. So after contacting a few authors that I like reading I'm now a proofreader for a few. Doesn't pay much but I get free books from authors I like that I'd read anyway. I certainly won't get rich doing this but it fulfills my purposes rather neatly. And I can do it anyway, even while we're traveling.
Any other things that yall are doing to e*rn a little spending money?
BTW I find that I pick up errors more now while reading forum posts, advertisements, etc. Kind of a pet peeve but I'm dealing with it.

My John Deere X500 tractor is my oasis as it always gives me time to think and relax. I now mow several neighbors yards for money and can at least tell my wife I have a paying job. I also win a little money on the golf course, but that is definitely not steady income!!

VW

I have turned an art into extra cash but I still do it on my terms. I carve wood sculptures and have sold many all over and I also give some away for charity groups.

I only work on a project when the urge is to create and be imaginative sets in. So nothing steady for income but it is fun to have that money in my pocket knowing it come from my work of art.

Exactly, it's that feeling of accomplishment, whatever it is, that I'm discovering again. Proofreading for me fills that need. And it's so nice to only do it when and for who you want to. Never had that option while w*rking!

I earn some extra money guiding bike trips and whitewater rafting trips. A bit like a j*b on some days, because if I’ve committed to taking a trip I can’t change my mind if I wake up and don’t feel like going out. But I enjoy most days, getting paid to do something I’d likely be doing anyway. An added benefit was the introduction to like-minded coworkers who are sometimes companions on non-paid adventures.

One of my other hobbies is quilting. I’ve purposely avoided turning that into a paid hobby, despite people offering to pay me to make quilts for them. I don’t want the pressure of creating a perfect quilt on a deadline, and most people would not want to pay enough to properly compensate me for the time involved.

^ I can relate to what you said to a T. LOL

I have been designing parts for drones using my 3D printer for almost 4 years now, but I have recently slacked off. It made quite a bit for the first 2 years and more than paid for the hobby. But now it is tapering off as I have somewhat lost interest. The newer drones do not lend themselves to innovative design options for accessories as most if not all are already provided by the manufacturers as options.

Yes, in fact a "hobby-business" worked well into our RE plans. I make jewelry and sell online. I work on my own terms and hours, as little or much as I want to, though, of course more during the next few months.

I have had so may hobbies over the years which sucked lot of $$. First time in my life I have a hobby that is paying somewhat which is beekeeping. I expect to break even in a year or so. And I am not even retired!

Next in the list is gardening. I am already having access produce that we can and wife gave me the idea to sell the excess. Food laws are pain to deal with though for a small time hobbyist.

I give away my excess produce, so no money there. Maybe money saved by not going to therapy.
Lately I’m into to art and paintings, I hope eventually I get to sell some paintings that I don’t like to make room for more paintings. I have limit wall space. So that’s the plan.

My bands earn money playing gigs. It's not a lot...but I do come ahead every year and have a good time while doing so.

I work on my house most days. I don't get paid for it, but I don't pay anyone else for the things I do. I also don't have to pay income taxes this way and I will always be in a high bracket, so it seems best for me that I find non-income ways to make/save cash.

I work on my house most days. I don't get paid for it, but I don't pay anyone else for the things I do.

I'm an avid DIYer as well and like you I'm not paid for it, but have saved 10's of thousands over the years for my efforts.

The next best thing to getting paid to do something is not paying someone else to do it.

I thought about turning my hobby into a business. Others have encouraged me to do so. But, I do it for pleasure and if I suddenly have to meet the expectations of others and the obligations of a business, that is not pleasure.

Honestly, if I needed the money I could make at least as much working at the local chicken sandwich place - $15.00+ an hour to start and Sundays off like in the old days.

If I wanted to put up with BATF, and and the PLCB, I could sell an ocean of wine like my buddy who owns a winery. But I'm retired, and I see the work that he and his wife does. DW and I help out all the time; but it would cramp our style big time, traveling the way we do. Besides, he has to make wine that sells, not wine that his DW and he likes to drink, on a large scale..

Last edited:
I don't make any money from my hobbies, such as playing video games. Luckily I don't mind. :)

So with everyone enjoying RE have any of yall turned a hobby into a small money making gig?
I thought about photography and did lots of sports and some studio portraits while still working but decided I didn't want to be tied down and have to deal with the public as much. I enjoy reading novels and have developed a knack to find errors as I read. It helps to be OCD. So after contacting a few authors that I like reading I'm now a proofreader for a few. Doesn't pay much but I get free books from authors I like that I'd read anyway. I certainly won't get rich doing this but it fulfills my purposes rather neatly. And I can do it anyway, even while we're traveling.
Any other things that yall are doing to e*rn a little spending money?
BTW I find that I pick up errors more now while reading forum posts, advertisements, etc. Kind of a pet peeve but I'm dealing with it.
We had several hobbies that could have made some money, and learned several new skills that could have brought in some funds.

I certainly understand using a hobby to make money to help support that hobby. We have several friends that support their photography “habit” this way.

We didn’t because we had enough income to support whatever we wanted to do hobby-wise, so we didn’t want to deal with the additional work aspect of a side business. Marketing, clients/customers, schedules, bookkeeping, etc.

We have donated quite a few things to various nature organizations from our photography.

Last edited:
My John Deere X500 tractor is my oasis as it always gives me time to think and relax. I now mow several neighbors yards for money and can at least tell my wife I have a paying job. I also win a little money on the golf course, but that is definitely not steady income!!

VW

Ha!

That’s pretty cool that you enjoy it.

In our area they are short of/advertising for Americorps volunteers to teach in the public schools. I think they mostly do individual tutoring.

We have a 73YO friend who does this and likes it a lot. There is a small paycheck too, which in his case is very welcome.

YMMV

I/We turned a few of our "hobbies" into sole proprietor businesses during our "w*rking lives* simply for the tax write-offs. It "worked" out quite well.

We've informally considered doing the same now that we're FIRE'd, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. We might consider something along the lines of cash-only income, but there's not the same incentive now as there was in the past.

Besides, every day's a Saturday now, so who wants to w*rk weekends?:LOL:

_B

I have sold some woodworking pieces, and have had a few paid photography gigs. A local art gallery recently inquired if I would be interested in putting some of my photos there and selling on consignment. I haven't made my mind up on this yet. Sounds like work.

I certainly understand using a hobby to make money to help support that hobby. We have several friends that support their photography “habit” this way.

We didn’t because we had enough income to support whatever we wanted to do hobby-wise, so we didn’t want to deal with the additional work aspect of a side business. Marketing, clients/customers, schedules, bookkeeping, etc.

For a while I gave some thought to doing photography as a hobby business but discarded the idea for those reasons. When one has to do all that it's not a hobby anymore, it's a job.

I would think most would try to tie there hobby to a business, if nothing else just for the tax deduction.

Photography - Travel to exotic locations for material becomes deductible
Jewelry - Travel to fairs around the country becomes deductible

My next business venture will be medical tourism :) I've already started some research on it.

I would think most would try to tie there hobby to a business, if nothing else just for the tax deduction.

Photography - Travel to exotic locations for material becomes deductible
Jewelry - Travel to fairs around the country becomes deductible

My next business venture will be medical tourism :) I've already started some research on it.
Well, yes. Sorta. BTDT with a business selling sports car racing parts and supplies.

Sadly, the IRS understands the game. (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/is-your-hobby-a-for-profit-endeavor) Expenses can only be deducted to the extent of hobby income unless you convince the IRS that this is a serious business. This is done most of the time by showing a profit in three of the past five years.

My salvation with the racing business was that I never got audited.

Back
Top Bottom