Two Toilet Roll Holders?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The paper industry introduced larger toilet paper rolls. The newer rolls don't fit into our recessed toilet paper holder. We're careful to buy the older, standard size, but Costco doesn't carry those, and occasionally we buy the wrong size.

Options:

1. Just take them back when we buy the wrong size (big packs cost $20).

2. Install a newer holder (but the ones I've seen require smaller hole in wall.

3. Remove old holder, repair wall, and paint bathroom.

4. Put up a second holder—who cares if it looks weird.

Option #5:

s-l1000.jpg

When I moved into my current house there was a hideous recessed toilet paper holder so I took it out leaving an ugly hole. I bought this to solve the problem:

https://www.wgwoodproducts.com/store/agora.cgi?p_id=TAYL-1&xm=on&ppinc=search2

It worked great because all I had to do was slightly enlarge the existing hole, which of course is much easier that patching the hole and mounting something different. It holds almost any size roll.

Last edited:
What if anything does this say about the state of our country when the paper industry introduces larger toilet paper rolls ?

Larger roll, less tissue.

I have had this problem also with the mega rolls, just ordered up 2 of these

That explains it!!!

The conventional (1960's) built in toilet paper holders in my Dream Home had missing spindles when I bought the house. Instead, the prior owner of my home had used a stand alone toilet paper holder, as in The Cosmic Avenger's post above. I couldn't figure out why anybody would DO that if they had a choice about it! Now I know.

One of the first things I did after moving in, was to order new spindles for these holders from Amazon. I like these original pastel toilet paper holders, which are built into the matching pastel tile walls, exactly like those I remember from my childhood.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 224
My first thought when seeing T-Al's subject line was that it was an ingenious way to resolve the argument of over or under. Mount two on the wall and each person can have it their own way. Cheaper than a divorce, that's for sure.

I’m surprised no one offered the solution of saving your old cardboard tube and loading it up with the excess from the new giant roll.

Now that's a roll of toilet paper. :)

https://nypost.com/2019/06/04/giant-toilet-paper-rolls-designed-for-millennials-are-here/

(Article about new 8.7 or 12 inch giant toilet paper rolls)

From the article,
“Go up to one month before changing your roll,” Charmin boasts on its site, alongside customer review.

The standard toilet paper roll lasts for about 18 days. “For a lot of the single-user households we hear from,” Rob Reinerman, innovation director for P&G’s family-care business, told the Wall Street Journal, “this will last two or three months.”

“I really love not having to worry about buying t.p.!” a buyer named Richard wrote on the site.

Like.... they don't have anywhere to store a normal sized roll of toilet paper? And they worry about buying toilet paper? And buy it one roll at a time? Gee. I guess I'm a special snowflake; I buy it in packages of twelve,$6.65 for twelve on Prime Pantry. And store it in the cabinets under my bathroom sink, within reach of the toilet. Somehow this is not a problem for me.

just put on top of toilet tank, no need to blow the dough or wonder about over under !!!!!!!

Since my bathroom only had a stainless steel hole in the wall in which to set a TP roll on I don't have a problem with the roll size. The bonus is that it is directly above the heating/cooling duct from my heat pump. Nice soft paper that is warm in the winter and cool in the summer for my tushy.

Cheers!

In true LBYM fashion, one could just opt for the "left hand toilet technique".

Toilet Paper!
You people can afford special paper for the toilet?. What ever happened to the proud LBYMers that used to post here?

I find this interesting as my Dad figured out a while ago that rolls were getting shorter and narrower. I kinda thought he was full of it (Ha! Pun intended) but over the years, he had bought THOUSANDS of rolls of TP when it was on sale. So, when he passed away, I inherited a LOT of TP and you know what? He was right. The older rolls are bigger and wider than the ones bought today...with the exception of the Costco brand, which was the same as the packs from the early 90's.

And reducing the times that they need changing? Really? Is this an issue for people?

Re the extenders, the rolls are too thick, not too wide.

I have had this problem also with the mega rolls, just ordered up 2 of these

I had that in my cart, but the existing holder has a wider hole in the wall. That is, if I install that one, it won't cover the existing square hole.

Back
Top Bottom