Uber experience?

I use Uber and Lyft a lot. Would recommend downloading both apps and checking out the estimated pricing for both, as one can be more than double the other, depending on when they're adding a surcharge.

Additionally, you should be able to find codes from people where your first few rides are free, or you get a $50 ride credit, or something like that (but not if you've already used the service.) The free rides might not be available always (for example, on a holiday), but I have a feeling that once you try Uber/Lyft, you'll use it again in the future!

I know a few Uber drivers and they don't make a lot of $. They also put a ton of miles on their cars, etc. I think it is terrible that people don't tip. Recently Uber changed it's no tipping policy because so many people said they did not tip because of it. Still very few people tip them. Every driver has been excellent. Wish I could say the same about cabs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/travel/uber-taxi-tipping.html?_r=0 Interesting article about Uber and tipping, and interesting comments as well. We don't do Uber (no reason, just haven't) but occasionally take a cab or limo for the airport runs. My kids only do Uber and have used it since the beginning, but I am not sure they tip as that really was not supposed to be part of Uberness --I'll have to ask them. If Uber drivers don't make enough money without tips, is that the passengers' fault?

I know a few Uber drivers and they don't make a lot of $. They also put a ton of miles on their cars, etc. I think it is terrible that people don't tip.

BIL's son is an Uber driver. One of those guys who keeps meticulous records of time/miles/$ etc.

He says he averages about $25 an hour of actual drive/available time. I'm sure he isn't deducting his gas or wear/tear but even so that's not a bad paycheck for a job where you can set your own hours.

Lyft allows tips FWIW.

Fault? No one is telling anyone here they should tip Uber drivers, but quite a few people do.

Last edited:
Trial run status: Success!

Attachments

• monde.jpg
    monde.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 28
We took a ride in Florida that only cost $3.00. WE had luggage and there were no sidewalks so could not walk. I gave the guy a 3.00 tip. It would not have been worth his time otherwise. Uber changed it's policy on tipping. You tip a cab driver so you tip your Uber driver. When you figure gas and wear/tear they are not making 25/hour. We paid 10 to go to airport with Uber and the people behind us who live a block away paid 30 for a cab. It would have been terrible not to tip him. WE saved a lot of $ on that ride.

Though I hate the whole tipping approach (your employer can decide your pay - just tell me what it's gonna cost, all in), I've used Uber a couple times, and the fare was so low, that I just didn't feel right not leaving a good tip. Even with a 30% tip, it was less than a cab w/o the tip, and more pleasant.

The argument many people have with Uber's tipping policy (which I believe is no policy at all - tip if you want, they can't stop you, and they can't make you tip) is that you cannot tip with the app. For many people, the no cash, no swipe is convenient, and now they need to carry cash and dig through their wallet for this tip. Kinda defeats the purpose. Not a big deal for occasional users, but if you do it a lot, and are a mostly cash-less person, it's a bit of a pain.

As I understand it, Lyft allows cashless tipping through their app.

-ERD50

I'm sure if we used car services like Uber we would tip (we even tip the drivers of the free shuttle bus that takes us to and from remote airport parking, and I'm pretty sure they are paid adequately). Just interesting that the company's business model started as no tipping, which both drivers and customers apparently welcomed at the time. From the article I linked to above, I get the impression that the drivers are considered by Uber to be independent contractors, not employees, and sued to not have to follow the company's no tipping mandate (which apparently an employee would have to follow?). Tipping might be a moot point as Uber already is testing self-driving cars in Pittsburgh....

But happy new year in NO, Fermion! The beignets look delicious.

Last edited:
I only used Uber a few times and they were all good experiences.

My kids and their friends who are in their 20s and live in cities use Uber all the time like daily or even multiple times a day. They love Uber because it is simple, easy, convenient and cheap. Cash tipping would be a huge hassle for such frequent users.

I personally like it so much better when I travel to countries with no custom of tipping. I hate to try to figure out who I need/should tip and how much.

We took a ride in Florida that only cost $3.00. WE had luggage and there were no sidewalks so could not walk. I gave the guy a 3.00 tip. It would not have been worth his time otherwise. Uber changed it's policy on tipping. You tip a cab driver so you tip your Uber driver. When you figure gas and wear/tear they are not making 25/hour. We paid 10 to go to airport with Uber and the people behind us who live a block away paid 30 for a cab. It would have been terrible not to tip him. WE saved a lot of $ on that ride.

+1.
I recently used Lyft for a two mile drive to get the car from the dealership (repairs) (planned on walking, but snow storm ruined it!). The cost was under $10 so I tipped $5 to help the driver make a little $. Most likely still saved $10-15 over calling a taxi.

Doesn't Uber give the driver info about where the ride is going.? What if all the drivers choose to not go that far out and have double the miles riding empty. If there is more money to be made in short bar to bar trips you may not get a answer from drivers.
Drivers don't know to avoid cherry picking easy fares.

I have a family member who is a driver. He hangs out away from bars and airports to avoid dealing with those riders, who tend to have random destinations. It is very tempting, however, for a driver to cruise those areas because of the surge pricing. That's how Uber balances things. Some drivers like to only do surge driving.

Doesn't Uber give the driver info about where the ride is going.? What if all the drivers choose to not go that far out and have double the miles riding empty. If there is more money to be made in short bar to bar trips you may not get a answer from drivers.

This is true. On super bowl night last year I got a call from the driver to make sure I really was going a long distance before he committed to pick us up way up in North Scottsdale. He explained once he picked us up that he just couldn't commit without a long ride. Seemed reasonable.

The cab driver expects to be tipped so why not tip the Uber driver who has saved you a ton of $?

I don't tip because the Uber business model is predicated on an easy cash free experience. I hope tipping doesn't become the norm as that will lessen the convenience in my view. Have never had a $3 fare but if I did I might tip in that case. Most of our rides are $25-40 dollars. That seems like enough although if probably is cheaper than taxies , at least in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Have had some surge pricing over $100 ie getting up to North Scottsdale on Super Bowl Sunday last year.

Last edited:
TIME said:
[Uber]“Fares have been cut by as much as 45% in some cities, and while Uber is guaranteeing this will actually lead to larger earnings for drivers, the opposite has already proven to be true—drivers are reporting they’re making as little as $2.89 per hour,” the Observer reported.
While I am sure $2.89/hour isn't anywhere near an average (drivers would disappear), many drivers are making considerably less now [per trip] than when Uber began in 2009. That's why tipping is receiving more attention now than when Uber began.

Many Uber drivers are taking on more rider trips than they used to, to keep total income up. Demand is up with popularity/familiarity so they have more rider opportunities than years ago if they want them.

We tip with cash, and the drivers haven't acted like it was expected at all, but they appreciated the tips.

How Much Do Uber Drivers Make? Uber Reveals Driver Wages

Uber said:
Can I accept cash tips?
There is no tip with Uber. The Uber experience means not having to reach for a wallet at the end of a ride. As a result, we message to riders that tipping is not required - we never want riders to feel obligated to pay extra at the end of Uber trips. If a rider offers a tip, please remind that them that tipping is not necessary with Uber. New riders may not know that there is no tip with Uber and could feel cheated if they later learn that tipping was not required. However, if the rider still insists, you can accept the tip.

Last edited:
Have had some surge pricing over $100 ie getting up to North Scottsdale on Super Bowl Sunday last year.
I recommend you investigate a corporate taxi account in Phoenix as an alternative. The ones in Toronto are excellent, especially with Crown and Royal. It might cost a bit more but you have a relationship with them.

This is true. On super bowl night last year I got a call from the driver to make sure I really was going a long distance before he committed to pick us up way up in North Scottsdale. He explained once he picked us up that he just couldn't commit without a long ride. Seemed reasonable.
Not supposed to happen, but it does sometimes. I don't blame drivers who skirt the rules a bit in this case.

I don't care what the business model says if you are paying less for a better service and tip a cab why wouldn't you tip the Uber driver? If I ride a free airport shuttle and the guy handles my bags I tip 1.00/bag. It is not that hard to carry a bunch of ones with you which is what we do. A cab can take a long time to come but with Uber it never takes longer then 5 minutes even in the middle of the night.

Is it reasonable and safe?
I have used both Uber and Lyft extensively on both coasts (Lyft West and Uber East). Both have very reasonable rates, cheaper than cabs, are safe, reliable and easier to use if you're even remotely tech/smartphone savvy.

It is not that hard to carry a bunch of ones with you which is what we do.

It kind of is hard. Never seen an ATM that spits out 1's, so I'd have to get cash then remember to ask at a cash register for change for a 20. And sometimes opening the till isn't possible if you're paying with credit.

In the case of a taxi or uber, I'm fumbling with kids, luggage, maybe food or drink, my phone, possibly travel documents, maybe an umbrella. Then I have to get out my fat roll of 1's to peel off a few? YMMV.

We use Lyft vs. a taxi on NYE, but we're hardly in the late crowd (our trip home from dinner is 9pm a the latest lol). Still cheaper than cabs we've used in the past.

It's always only as safe as the vetting of the driver, but not like that's any worse than most cab companies invest. I prefer Lyft over Uber just because everything I've read about Travis K screams raging a-hole.

We tip when we use an Uber if the service is good (has been every time so far), but you don't have to. Lots of people do tip, but not everyone. IME Uber is faster and cheaper than a cab, and a cab driver will go nuts if they're NOT tipped! So even after a tip, it's cheaper than a cab. YMMV

Uber drivers say you should tip them - Business Insider

Around here, Uber drivers only give 5 stars to passengers that tip. Tipping has become expected.

I have had cab drivers drive like maniacs and scare me and never had that with an Uber driver. You can rate the drivers and they can rate you.

I don't know. If a passenger has a bad rating other drivers may not pick you up. Really to get a bad rating you would have to act like a jerk. If a driver has too many bad ratings they lose their jobs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom