UHC/AARP vs UHC Medigap

I have AARP/UHC Medigap, no problems at all. Medicare pays 2, sometimes 3 weeks after submission from provider. Then Medicare sends approved charges on to Medigap, and AARP/UHC pays around 2 weeks later. Covering about three years, zero issues to date.

Thank you. That’s good to hear.

We both went on AARP/UHC this spring. Couldn't be happier with them. A couple of surgeries this year and other than paying the deductible I just smile at the billing people on my way out the door.

I have AARP/UHC Medigap, no problems at all. Medicare pays 2, sometimes 3 weeks after submission from provider. Then Medicare sends approved charges on to Medigap, and AARP/UHC pays around 2 weeks later. Covering about three years, zero issues to date.

+20

I have had it for 3 years also no issues for me either.

I signed up for AARP/UHC Plan N and Silverscripts Plan D to start 1 Nov 22. When I log into my account on medicare.gov the Plan D is listed but don't see any mention of Plan N. Should it be listed there? How does my medigap plan get notified when a billing takes place and they need to pay a claim?

I signed up for AARP/UHC Plan N and Silverscripts Plan D to start 1 Nov 22. When I log into my account on medicare.gov the Plan D is listed but don't see any mention of Plan N. Should it be listed there? How does my medigap plan get notified when a billing takes place and they need to pay a claim?

When you see your healthcare providers, you’ll give them both your Medicare card and your AARP/UHC card. The information will be included in the Medicare submission and will be sent to your insurance provider after Medicare pays their share.

I just wonder how many phone calls have been made in the past week to those 65 and older? It's just constant rings for us.

We have United Healthcare on the AARP plan. And since my wife's had a number of surgeries and I'm type II diabetic, we're on Plan F--top of the line (and most expensive.) Once you get on Plan G or Plan F, you don't want to go back to lesser plans. And I'm not an Advantage Plan supporter. I question any plan being so heavily advertised.

I was eligible for Plan F but opted for Plan G. The only difference is that F pays the Part B deductible ($233). Other than that they are the same. The premium for F was much more than that $233 so I opted for G. I am happy with it and agree I would not go back to any less and definitely not an Advantage plan.

It will be listed but sometimes they are a little slow. It should be under My Plans. I would check back in a week or two or call them. Mine didn't show up for awhile. After Medicare pays it's portion of the claim they forward the claim onto the supplement plan so it can pay it's portion.

So, as I follow this thread ....there appears to be about a 10% discount if UHC is used with AARP membership.

Do you have to keep the AARP Membership active for each year you renew the Medicare plan ?? Or is it just the starting year ??

Also, there appears to be an additional discount if both DW and I are on the same Plan....correct ??

We are both in good health,m thank you Lord, so I will get some quotes on Plan F-HD or Plan G-HD.

So, as I follow this thread ....there appears to be about a 10% discount if UHC is used with AARP membership.

Do you have to keep the AARP Membership active for each year you renew the Medicare plan ?? Or is it just the starting year ??

Also, there appears to be an additional discount if both DW and I are on the same Plan....correct ??

We are both in good health,m thank you Lord, so I will get some quotes on Plan F-HD or Plan G-HD.

You only have to be a member the first year. I think discount for you both being on an AARP plan is 5%. I’m not sure if it has to be the same plan, but the two of us are both on Plan N

For comparing costs, all you have to do is get a free quote, check pricing online or call UHC direct. Then you can decide. It really is that simple. Just make sure they are quoting the same coverage.

Do you really expect to be in the same health over the next 25-30 years? My experience and observation are, to paraphrase a well repeated phrase, "Past health is no guarantee of future health". I am a good example of that. So is DMIL who passed away last year.

DH and I are in good health also. But DH is glad he is on Plan F (gotten before it went away) and I am glad I am on Plan G. Once I've handled the annual deductible (which is usually used up in my first doctor visit, I am done having to deal with payments of deductibles. The lack of hassle is just worth it to me.

DH and I are in good health also. But DH is glad he is on Plan F (gotten before it went away) and I am glad I am on Plan G. Once I've handled the annual deductible (which is usually used up in my first doctor visit, I am done having to deal with payments of deductibles. The lack of hassle is just worth it to me.

DW and I are meeting with our local SHIP advisor and I will ask those kinds of questions at that time -- I'd like to gain some knowledge before going in there.

If we get Plan G-HD, is it possible to move out of the High Deductible group at some point down the road ??

DW and I are meeting with our local SHIP advisor and I will ask those kinds of questions at that time -- I'd like to gain some knowledge before going in there.

If we get Plan G-HD, is it possible to move out of the High Deductible group at some point down the road ??

Probably not without underwriting.

A few states may have exceptions to that.

If you are willing to move to a state that has open enrollment at that time, then absolutely.

If not, I wouldn't count on it. But as you age - the savings between G and G HD become greater and at some point could be more than the deductible.

Changing from a Plan G HD to a regular Plan G, is probably considered moving up in coverage. Some companies will let you drop down in benefits without underwriting. For sure, changing companies at the same time would likely require underwriting.

Thanks for the followup responses.

I called my Humana rep this morning, asking about more detailed cost figures to move from my Humana Advantage plan to a Plan F, G, or N.

The Deets :
Based on my age & zip code, I was given these monthly costs, pending a physical --

Plan F -- $196 to $225
Plan G -- $163 to $187
Plan N -- $131 to $157
All plans would require a Part D for Rx, the lowest cost is $40 per month (way too much for my Tier 1 Generic scripts).

My Other Observations :
Humana's Licensed Insurance Sales Rep was pushing the Advantage Plan very hard. "It covers MORE than any of the Medigap Plans" was her repeated response to my questions.

She said there was No Household Discount, at least at Humana.

She also got a little huffy when I started asking for details on Coverages. "I have people On Hold," says she. "I waited On Hold too," says I.

I have a sit-down with an Independent Sales Rep soon. He has helped DW navigate the ACA world in the past....in Feb of next year DW starts Medicare.

Thanks for the followup responses.

I called my Humana rep this morning, asking about more detailed cost figures to move from my Humana Advantage plan to a Plan F, G, or N.

The Deets :
Based on my age & zip code, I was given these monthly costs, pending a physical --

Plan F -- $196 to $225
Plan G -- $163 to $187
Plan N -- $131 to $157
All plans would require a Part D for Rx, the lowest cost is $40 per month (way too much for my Tier 1 Generic scripts).

My Other Observations :
Humana's Licensed Insurance Sales Rep was pushing the Advantage Plan very hard. "It covers MORE than any of the Medigap Plans" was her repeated response to my questions.

She said there was No Household Discount, at least at Humana.

She also got a little huffy when I started asking for details on Coverages. "I have people On Hold," says she. "I waited On Hold too," says I.

I have a sit-down with an Independent Sales Rep soon. He has helped DW navigate the ACA world in the past....in Feb of next year DW starts Medicare.

It seems that it would make no sense for you to get an F as the difference in premium between F and G is more than the deductible.

Some people like Plan N. I don't feel like it's really enough savings vs the G? If I wanted to retain some of the cost risk, then I'd just probably go for G HD. Globe Life (sold direct) and United American (owned by Globe Life, but sold by independent agents) seem to typically have the lowest premiums for the HD plans.

Some people like Plan N. I don't feel like it's really enough savings vs the G? If I wanted to retain some of the cost risk, then I'd just probably go for G HD. Globe Life (sold direct) and United American (owned by Globe Life, but sold by independent agents) seem to typically have the lowest premiums for the HD plans.

Be certain to compare past annual price increases. Plan G is a guaranteed issue plan for folks coming on Medicare later, like those who work to 70 or so. This will allow older, sicker people to get on Plan G, thereby raising their costs, followed by higher price increases.
Plan N is not guaranteed issue past initial enrollment, so will likely be able to control prices a bit more.

Be certain to compare past annual price increases. Plan G is a guaranteed issue plan for folks coming on Medicare later, like those who work to 70 or so. This will allow older, sicker people to get on Plan G, thereby raising their costs, followed by higher price increases.
Plan N is not guaranteed issue past initial enrollment, so will likely be able to control prices a bit more.

^ This.

Admittedly not a definitive answer to what the future holds, however...
I mentioned earlier that I've been monitoring annual rate increases for Plan G vs N by my carrier, Mutual of Omaha. I just ran the numbers on the increases announced over the past several months, covering rates for 25 individual states. Their average announced increase for Plan G was 8.25% while Plan N was 5.2%.

G HD controls the prices even more. I think United American has gone years without raising the premium.

I called UHC this morning. The phone lady was very responsive, answered all my questions (as opposed to that grumbler from Humana).

The Details :
UHC/AARP has a Household Discount for multi-insured folks of 10% off the premium. There's also a $4 discount for EFT Payment.

The have an 'Early Sign Up' discount -- based on Age at Sign up, not the Month you Sign up. This is a significant discount off the premium up to age 85.

The AARP Membership is $16 per year, only needed in the first year.

Plan G -- $140 approx with all discounts included
Plan N -- $104 approx with all discounts included
UHC's Part D coverage appears to be substantially cheaper than Humana. I was quoted a cost of about $28 per month for my one generic drug vs $40 for Humana's lowest cost.

I have yet to find a coherent description of the differences in each of these Plans. This only serves to highlight my Pet Peeve with these Plans --
We're halfway thru the alphabet with Plan letters, and it's dam near impossible to differentiate one from the other. If you don't deal with this every day....all of these "Parts and Plans" are confusing.

How about dropping the term Plan, and creating three levels of coverage ?
Full Coverage for x Dollars
Medium Deductible
High Deductible.

I called UHC this morning. The phone lady was very responsive, answered all my questions (as opposed to that grumbler from Humana).

The Details :
UHC/AARP has a Household Discount for multi-insured folks of 10% off the premium. There's also a $4 discount for EFT Payment.

The have an 'Early Sign Up' discount -- based on Age at Sign up, not the Month you Sign up. This is a significant discount off the premium up to age 85.

The AARP Membership is $16 per year, only needed in the first year.

Plan G -- $140 approx with all discounts included
Plan N -- $104 approx with all discounts included
UHC's Part D coverage appears to be substantially cheaper than Humana. I was quoted a cost of about $28 per month for my one generic drug vs $40 for Humana's lowest cost.

I have yet to find a coherent description of the differences in each of these Plans. This only serves to highlight my Pet Peeve with these Plans --
We're halfway thru the alphabet with Plan letters, and it's dam near impossible to differentiate one from the other. If you don't deal with this every day....all of these "Parts and Plans" are confusing.

How about dropping the term Plan, and creating three levels of coverage ?
Full Coverage for x Dollars
Medium Deductible
High Deductible.

You probably know this, but your Part D insurer does not have to be the same as your Part B insurer. I have AARP/UHC for Part B and Aetna Superscript Plus for Part D prescriptions.

Back
Top Bottom