UHC/AARP vs UHC Medigap

You probably know this, but your Part D insurer does not have to be the same as your Part B insurer. I have AARP/UHC for Part B and Aetna Superscript Plus for Part D prescriptions.

Well, I didn't know that....so thanks !! My current Rx comes out of Humana and it's Free all year. I'll consider continuing this option.

And again -- this only highlights my statement about the confusing details around Medicare.

I see on TV that McCarthy wants to curtail the "Entitlements" known as Social Security and Medicare. The last two clowns who tried that were Boehner and Paul Ryan....who haven't been heard from since they uttered the word Entitlements.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't know that....so thanks !! My current Rx comes out of Humana and it's Free all year. I'll consider continuing this option.

And again -- this only highlights my statement about the confusing details around Medicare.

I see on TV that McCarthy wants to curtail the "Entitlements" known as Social Security and Medicare. The last two clowns who tried that were Boehner and Paul Ryan....who haven't been heard from since they uttered the word Entitlements.

Please keep politics out of this before they close the thread. [emoji6]
You can go to Medicare.gov to compare all the Part D plans in your area. It’ll ask you to enter your prescriptions and will compute the annual cost of each plan.

I find it interesting to see people post rates for G and N plans in different states. I live in Tennessee and plan G for someone turning 65 is only about $10 more per month than a plan N and that is virtually the same for every company. The prices vary between companies, but the difference between the two plans is not worth the bother for me.

I find it interesting to see people post rates for G and N plans in different states. I live in Tennessee and plan G for someone turning 65 is only about $10 more per month than a plan N and that is virtually the same for every company. The prices vary between companies, but the difference between the two plans is not worth the bother for me.

It does vary by location. But you also need to look at history of price increases as stated above.

To summarize 3 possible choices --

Plan F covers a Medicare Deductible of $233 (worth about $20 per month)
Plan G apparently good coverage, minus $233 worth of doctors you might pay. Might have higher annual increases based upon Must Insure.
Plan N lowest cost per month. No coverage for Part B (Doctors) excess charges.

Part F, G HD -- Uncertain deductibles, and upgrade to full coverage later.

Correctamundo ??

Last edited:

Plan G apparently good coverage, minus $233 worth of doctors you might pay. Might have higher annual increases based upon Must Insure.

Correctamundo ??

Plan N has an up to $20 copay for office visits, but not lab tests, imaging and so on.

Correctamundo ??

Plan F is closed except for people that turned 65 prior to Jan 1 1955, so they will have the highest annual increases since no new younger people are joining the plans.
Personally, I just want the easiest and best plan for me, and that includes no bills to pay other than the deductible, so I chose a plan G. Whatever the cost will be in 20 years is anyone's guess.

Much bigger difference in my area (AZ), average difference around $35 per month.

You probably know this, but your Part D insurer does not have to be the same as your Part B insurer. I have AARP/UHC for Part B and Aetna Superscript Plus for Part D prescriptions.

Me too, and I think a lot of us. The "dirt cheap" Part D deal is from aetnamedicare.com and is 4.80 where I live. It's cheaper in some states, but more in a few states.

If you only or mostly need Tier 1, the copay is $2 and it's not subject to the deductible.

Look for SilverScript SmartRx Prescription Drug Plan S5601-190

For comparing costs, all you have to do is get a free quote, check pricing online or call UHC direct. Then you can decide. It really is that simple. Just make sure they are quoting the same coverage.

Do you really expect to be in the same health over the next 25-30 years? My experience and observation are, to paraphrase a well repeated phrase, "Past health is no guarantee of future health". I am a good example of that. So is DMIL who passed away last year.

Do NOT call them!!! I called and was given a quote that was much higher than what I got online from their website... not sure if UHC or medicare

When I signed up the lowest rate that I saw was listed so I completed the sign up

Go to medicare . gov and you can look up the price of plan D with your current drugs... it will give the lowest TOTAL cost to you based on the premium plus drug cost....

For me it looks like Wellcare...

My UHC is about $30 per month... that is 18 trips to the Dr in a year... and from what is said the difference will get worse over time...

If you want certainty then go for G.... pay premiums and the deductible and you are done...

From what I was told by the two large insurance agent it is rare to have excess charges... one said that they saw it mostly on mental health Drs...

I just called UHC, I will be starting in Jan of 2023, and I Live in Florida. There is no discount for multi plans in household.

Plan G, quote is 188.83, with with direct payment.
I am also considering Mutal of Omaha, due to good friend that says it has taken care of many large bills fighting cancer, no billing headaches, MO also says it give a discount for multi policies, he also reports premiums have not gone up more than 8-10 a month for last 10 years. I know not all of that may be applicable to today. Price is couple dollars more than UHC.

I have considered plan N, its $40 a month cheaper, I know exess charges is supposed to be rare. But I am concerned that in the future, more excess charges will occur as midical cost go up and medicare payments to doc will be under pressure to stay down, and its a way for Doc's to make more.

Last edited:
Plan G, quote is 188.83, with with direct payment.
I am also considering Mutal of Omaha, due to good friend that says it has taken care of many large bills fighting cancer, no billing headaches, MO also says it give a discount for multi policies, he also reports premiums have not gone up more than 8-10 a month for last 10 years. I know not all of that may be applicable to today. Price is couple dollars more than UHC.

I have considered plan N, its $40 a month cheaper, I know exess charges is supposed to be rare. But I am concerned that in the future, more excess charges will occur as midical cost go up and medicare payments to doc will be under pressure to stay down, and its a way for Doc's to make more.

Be careful with Mutual of Omaha as many have discussed earlier in this thread.
As far a ease of payments that your friend experienced, all Medicare Supplements pay the same. If Medicare pays, the supplement pays. They don’t have any choice.

What kind of excess charges are we talking about here ?
Is this Doctor's excess fee that Plan N won't cover ?? Excess Hospital charges ??

I thought all Medicare Plans had limits on charges and held some negotiating leverage. Is this the major difference in Plan N ?

Plan N was $$40 cheaper in my area also, but I haven't found a clear read-out on the major difference between N and F/G.

Excess charges - I have only seen comments about doctors charge it, don't know about hospitals. And I believe it can be a max of 15% over the agreed to medicare charge.

I think Excess charge are the only diff with plan G and N.

Yes I read here about MO closing book and jacking prices up fast. That is a big concern. I searched and found no other reports than here, and none in Florida. My understanding is UHC considers real rate much higher than what you pay first year, something like a 35% discount is given that goes away with age, that increase , and normal rate increases due to inflation/etc may mean UHC rates will go up faster than others. So all plans raise rates, but who is fastest.

To the gentlemen that researched rate increases for MO, any tips on how and where I might do my on research?? Am i correct to assume the rate increases you saw were what was published for a given age, the first year. So is it possible that once on a plan, rates can increase faster than you reported for the reason age and inflation can increase rates?

Plan N has an up to $20 copay for office visits, but not lab work, imaging and such.
Excess charges are rare and easy to avoid, but even if you get one, it’s usually only a few dollars. 96% of doctors don’t charge excess charges, and seven states, including PA where I live, don’t permit excess charges. All you have to do is ask if the doctor accepts Medicare assignment to avoid them completely.

To the gentlemen that researched rate increases for MO, any tips on how and where I might do my on research??

If you are referring to the MoO rate increases I reported in post #46, this was my source: https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/express/index.php/category/medicare-solutions/

This is a link to a MoO blog providing information to MoO agents. You can see rate increase announcements by scrolling down looking for monthly "Upcoming Rate Adjustments" for individual states. Under that category, click on "2010 Modernized In-Force Rate Adjustment" which will show upcoming rate adjustments for MoO supplement companies in that state by Plan (G, N, etc.).

Am i correct to assume the rate increases you saw were what was published for a given age, the first year.

No, the announced rate increases are, as I understand it, due to increased medical costs, etc. and will be applied to existing rates for all insureds in the designated MoO company in that state, regardless of age.

So is it possible that once on a plan, rates can increase faster than you reported for the reason age and inflation can increase rates?

Yes, as I said above, the announced increases are due to increases in medical or other costs (or whatever amount MoO can convince state regulators to approve). Once on a MoO plan, rates will increase by more than this announced cost increase since MoO also adjusts rates annually for an individual based on age. These announced cost increases and age increases are combined and implemented as a single annual increase for each insured.

I've been following these MoO increases for the past four years. I was surprised to see that in my case at least, even though the "book" on my MoO company was closed three years ago, MoO did not announce or implement a cost-based increase for my company in TX last year (I still got an age-based increase). They've already announced a 10% cost-based increase for the coming year, which I will see in June of next year along with another age increase.

If you are referring to the MoO rate increases I reported in post #46, this was my source: https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/express/index.php/category/medicare-solutions/

This is a link to a MoO blog providing information to MoO agents. You can see rate increase announcements by scrolling down looking for monthly "Upcoming Rate Adjustments" for individual states. Under that category, click on "2010 Modernized In-Force Rate Adjustment" which will show upcoming rate adjustments for MoO supplement companies in that state by Plan (G, N, etc.).

No, the announced rate increases are, as I understand it, due to increased medical costs, etc. and will be applied to existing rates for all insureds in the designated MoO company in that state, regardless of age.

Yes, as I said above, the announced increases are due to increases in medical or other costs (or whatever amount MoO can convince state regulators to approve). Once on a MoO plan, rates will increase by more than this announced cost increase since MoO also adjusts rates annually for an individual based on age. These announced cost increases and age increases are combined and implemented as a single annual increase for each insured.

I've been following these MoO increases for the past four years. I was surprised to see that in my case at least, even though the "book" on my MoO company was closed three years ago, MoO did not announce or implement a cost-based increase for my company in TX last year (I still got an age-based increase). They've already announced a 10% cost-based increase for the coming year, which I will see in June of next year along with another age increase.

Rates in Texas are not the same as rates in Florida. You need to check the rate history for MoO in your location. An independent insurance agent can help you with that.

...My understanding is UHC considers real rate much higher than what you pay first year, something like a 35% discount is given that goes away with age, that increase, and normal rate increases due to inflation/etc may mean UHC rates will go up faster than others.
Medigap policies written in FL are "issue-age" so they have inflation increases but not annual age increases. The UHC disappearing discount is only used in states that allow attained-age plans in order to compete with their low initial rates, so it doesn't exist in Florida. The ~$188 quote is "the rate" and will increase for inflation.
Premium Issues

All Florida Medicare Supplement policies must be sold on an “issue age basis.” This means that an individual’s premium will not increase due to age as they get older. For example, if Mary purchased a Medicare Supplement policy when she turned 65 years old, she will always have the rate of a 65 year old. However, if Mary switches to a new insurer she will be rated based on her age at the time of the new application.

Premium Increases: Medicare Supplement insurers may adjust premiums due to inflation, overall claims experience, or because of benefit adjustments in a policy as Medicare benefits change. For example, when the Medicare Part A deductible increases, a company usually raises its premiums to pay for the increased deductible it covers.

Reference: https://www.myfloridacfo.com/divisi...erage/medicaresupplementinsuranceoverview.htm

Back
Top Bottom