UK Retailer Debenhams closing after 242 years

That sucks. Time before last when we moved I got rid of a sports jacket that I bought in Debenhams in the early 90s.

Based on our last trip to Blighty, I wonder how long M&S will last as well.

That will leave a void on many a High Street. DW loved having the store in Dubai when we lived in the UAE.

We have a brass statue that we use as a door stop that we purchased from Debenhams in 1979/80.

Not just Debenhams that went down. Arcadia Corp store chains, which include Topshop, Miss Selfridges and others, have also gone into administration and liquidations.

I guess the female news reader must have been a big shopper there. Look at the way she is ringing her hands!

Seriously, I think this will be common all over the world soon. Business models have changed to the point that many brick and mortar based stores have not adapted enough to survive. Pick any big chain in the US and you'll see they're all under pressure - even though most now have e-commerce capability. It's conceivable that we'll all buy our "stuff" from one or two big e-stores within 10 years. I hope not. Much as I hate to "shop" I like to "buy" in person. If I can't handle the merchandise, it's just not the same but YMMV.

Much as I hate to "shop" I like to "buy" in person. If I can't handle the merchandise, it's just not the same but YMMV.

The only times in the past I would buy online was with merchandise from Lands End when they were mainly online and before they were purchased by Sears.

I like to touch the merchandise too.

Personally, I do not think it is a good thing that Amazon has such a monopoly.

Even more scarier than Amazon's online store front is AWS. Many companies use AWS.

My only link to Debenham's.

But I urge you to listen to her sing, I tear up every time I watch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom