Unable to lock down SSN on eVerify.gov

Safire

Recycles dryer sheets
My young adult daughter who has a limited credit history (as an authorized user of my credit card) is unable to shut down her SSN on eVerify.gov. It turns out that "they" use Experian to ask her id questions and she answered None of the Above or N/A to all because she has no other credit history of installment loans or anything. Now, we're stuck. She was able to get an IP pin on the IRS website (as ID.me required her to upload her identifying docs) but the advice from eVerify customer service is to purchase a "private" ID monitoring plan. Gee, thanks! Even the govt wants you to be credit reliant / have a consumer a/c. Okkkkkkkkkkkk

She needs to set up an account on Experian. The process of doing that will reveal anything weird going on.

Has she gotten her free annual credit report for this year ? Maybe it shows something she forgot about or shows if anyone has been using her SSN already.

She needs to set up an account on Experian. The process of doing that will reveal anything weird going on.

Has she gotten her free annual credit report for this year ? Maybe it shows something she forgot about or shows if anyone has been using her SSN already.

She could not have get her report online & ended up ordering via phone. TBH, I'm freaking out because she has only the one credit card and says she has nothing else, so the questions on installment loans or mortgage etc.

Maybe she "borrowed" money and doesn't want you to know.....

Could also be she interprets installment loans differently than what they actually are. My credit card offers me to pay some stuff spread over time at no charge, I don't bother, as I know it's a trap to build up debt so I am stuck.

She could not have get her report online & ended up ordering via phone. TBH, I'm freaking out because she has only the one credit card and says she has nothing else, so the questions on installment loans or mortgage etc.

Sometimes the answer is really none of the above, but may not have been for all the questions. Have been asked questions about an address 4-5 houses ago.

Have her sign up on something like Credit Karma, she might be able to see a whole-view there vs waiting on a specific bureau.

I don't know why the freak out, those are typical questions they ask everyone. Perhaps someone without enough identifying info - a new credit user - would typically have this issue.

Well..... it just got more interesting. She tried to create an account on Transunion & Equifax and could not. Transunion claims that there is a mismatch between her SSN and last name when she attempted to create a free account on Transunion.com. Equifax just said to call their customer service number and she gave up after being unable to reach a live human being within a reasonable time. Trans Union wants her to email a copy of her SSN, driver's license AND a copy of the bank statement or a utility statement (she has none in her name) to TUIFULFILLMENT@Transunion.com

If a credit file does in fact exist in her name or if her identity has been stolen, what should she do? How can we help her? Please advice. Thanks!

It sounds like she just has not credit history at all. She may be an authorized user, but maybe the CC comp you are using isn't reporting her to credit agencies. *Is she actually using the card? If not, no reporting in that case either.

Have your daughter open up a starter credit card in her own name to get a start on her credit history. Discover card is good for college aged students starting out. Discover is how I started up my history in my young 20's. My kids did the same.

Last edited:
I signed my daughter up as an authorized user on my Discover credit card for emergencies and buying groceries etc when she was 16. I've often wondered if somehow the credit reporting agencies confused my excellent credit history with her credit rating since she's been over 800 since she was about 20. The only problem she ever had using that card was when a super observant cashier called her out, the card said member since 1986(me) and she wasn't born until 1987 but that's what it said on her card as well.

It sounds like she just has not credit history at all. She may be an authorized user, but maybe the CC comp you are using isn't reporting her to credit agencies. *Is she actually using the card? If not, no reporting in that case either.

Have your daughter open up a starter credit card in her own name to get a start on her credit history. Discover card is good for college aged students starting out. Discover is how I started up my history in my young 20's. My kids did the same.

Yes, she is using the card. It has a very low limit on it - I had it reduced last year. The bizarre thing is that TransUnion does have a credit file on her. It was the ONLY bureau she could actually request her credit report from via phone. However, when she attempted to sign up on TransUnion for an a/c online, it said that there is a MISMATCH between her SSN and last name, and also that an account already exists for her SSN. It really is bizarre and made me suspicious - not the existence of the credit report but the existence of an a/c using her SSN (but a different last name apparently) on Transunion.com.

I signed my daughter up as an authorized user on my Discover credit card for emergencies and buying groceries etc when she was 16. I've often wondered if somehow the credit reporting agencies confused my excellent credit history with her credit rating since she's been over 800 since she was about 20. The only problem she ever had using that card was when a super observant cashier called her out, the card said member since 1986(me) and she wasn't born until 1987 but that's what it said on her card as well.

Thanks, I'll do it. My daughter's card also says the same thing - Member Since 4 years before she was born! :D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom