Upcoming holiday gatherings?

I don't think I've been to any sort of holiday (family or otherwise) get together where a "spirited political" discussion broke out.

I don't think I've been to any sort of holiday (family or otherwise) get together where a "spirited political" discussion broke out.

my "core" family - DW, DF, DM, DSIL, DBIL, DS, DS and DNephews generally dislike the same politicians so it's actually kind of fun

You could always try playing an Adelle song like in this SNL skit:

Last edited:
No one in my family talks politics, and on the rare occasions it comes up, most people are on the same page and can see through all the BS put forth by both the politicians and the media.

Arguments are non-existent as there are far more interesting things to talk about.

You can just come up with some ready excuses to leave if someone wants to discuss topics you don't wish to talk about. I think a ban only leads to folks tempting to cross the ban or take offense about the rules.

Do something like...

Uncle Bob: How about that election?
You: How about that new QB for the Cowboys?

If Uncle Bob persists, excuse yourself and get a beverage refill.

I'm totally outnumbered and have to go through this every year - election year or not. That's one reason I live 1000 miles away and visit these people only during the holidays.

I say go for more of a controlled burn. Provide plenty of fuel (alcohol), start the political topic, and let'er rip. It's inevitable that a heated conversation will happen at some time. Just be sure you're in charge of the timing. That way the party ends early and quickly and you can go on enjoying your holiday!

Back
Top Bottom