Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with Black Friday coming up, both products are usually on sale, you will literally pay next to nothing for them. I just bought another Fire stick on July Prime day for $15, not because I needed it but because I couldn't turn down the $15 price. That deal also included a $45 Sling TV credit and an Amazon $5 credit when I activated it. You will be up and running in 5 minutes with either of these products, they really are amazing. I prefer Roku but it does not have browser capabilities. The Fire Stick has the Silk browser and others can be side loaded t for IPTV and Kodi if it's still around. I subscribe to a UK TV club that works great with the Fire Stick.

While we will replace our TVs in the future, assuming we don't for a while, what are our streaming options with these TVs given the pre-2016 Samsung limitation?

We have both ROKUs and nVidia Shields and can recommend either one. However, the ROKU units are somewhat more user friendly.

In any event, do some research before proceeding. Here are a few to start with:

https://bestreviews.com/best-streaming-devices

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/313411/the-best-media-streaming-devices

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

FWIW, all our TVs are 2019 model "Smart" TVs that are used simply as Monitors. The "Smart" part is essentially useless to our TV watching..

I have 6 Rokus installed and they last for ever, not one of them has died yet. I just checked my account and the oldest one was installed 1/6/2013. I tested it for a couple of months first and cut the cord shortly after that. It's almost been 7 years now and I've saved a ton of money with no cable TV.

Last edited:
+1. Using a Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or even a Chromecast would be better than any smart TV. Your existing Samsung’s will be fine for cord cutting. We cut the cord Feb 2018 and we have three TVs with Rokus, only one is “smart” and we don’t use the smart features at all.

+2... I don't know anyone who streams using the smart tv apps... most are either Roku or Fire TV or Apple TV. Sounds like statsman is struggling to find a rationale not to cut the cord.

I stream using smart tv apps, but they are TCL Roku TVs.

The newer generation LG smart TV isn't too bad, but I put a Fire stick on it anyway to have the same interface on all TVs.

Make sure your TV has plenty of HDMI inputs.

I've had Rokus and Firesticks and can safely say neither work any better than the smart apps on my Sony tv. The interface is very fast with the Oreo interface.

That depends on your setup and usage. In our case, we only use one HDMI on the TV, which receives the output from our AVR. The TV is just a dumb monitor... we use no speakers, no tuner, no smart apps, no functionality at all other than the display. The AVR collects all inputs, like streaming devices and blu-ray. But in practice, we almost never switch inputs away from the Fire TV. Haven't bought a DVD in over a decade. We have a Chromecast that rarely gets used anymore. No gaming console. No OTA tuners. So as a practical matter, we really only need one HDMI on the AVR as well.

That depends on your setup and usage. In our case, we only use one HDMI on the TV, which receives the output from our AVR. The TV is just a dumb monitor... we use no speakers, no tuner, no smart apps, no functionality at all other than the display. The AVR collects all inputs, like streaming devices and blu-ray. But in practice, we almost never switch inputs away from the Fire TV. Haven't bought a DVD in over a decade. We have a Chromecast that rarely gets used anymore. No gaming console. No OTA tuners. So as a practical matter, we really only need one HDMI on the AVR as well.

Good point. Once you settle, don't need many.

I'm still evaluating a few things. Roku, Firestick, Chromecast. Having the 4 inputs helps.

I envision us just having the Roku eventually.

:confused: You only need one for a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV or Chromecast. If you need more HDMI inputs for other devices (Blu-ray), make sure you have enough.

I’m not recommending it but may still find a few streamers that use RCA cables instead of HDMI if you have none. And there are third party HDMI to RCA converters too.

Incidentally, you’ll have to have an HDMI 2.0 port if you want to stream 4K content, so don’t spend extra for a 4K capable Roku if you don’t have a port to support it. HDMI 1.4 and older is more common, e.g. our newest Samsung has 4 HDMI ports, but only one 2.0, the others are 1.4.

Last edited:
That depends on your setup and usage. In our case, we only use one HDMI on the TV, which receives the output from our AVR. The TV is just a dumb monitor... we use no speakers, no tuner, no smart apps, no functionality at all other than the display. The AVR collects all inputs, like streaming devices and blu-ray.

That is exactly our setup.

However, our AVR has 7 devices connected to it -- either directly wired or through the LAN. They are the HTPC (SageTV), ROKU Ultra, nVidia Shield Pro, ATT TV Now Box, AirTV (Sling), HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, and Tablo Quad.

It would appear that the ROKU and Shield duplicate each other and, for the most part, that is true. However, while the ROKU gives access to hundreds of networks available nowhere else the Shield gives access to additional ones through the Android Play Store. The ROKU is, also, super user-friendly.

FWIW, the AVR gives us access to Internet Radio and other music (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) and, TBH, is used this way more than TV watching.

Besides... if they were truly "smart," they would shutdown during political commercials.

Last edited:
I am looking at streaming options. We watch alot of PBS. It does not look like any of the streaming services include PBS. I did see an article back in the summer that Youtube TV would include PBS at some point but it is not listed on the Youtube TV website. Anyone know the status of PBS being streamed? Thanks

I am looking at streaming options. We watch alot of PBS. It does not look like any of the streaming services include PBS. I did see an article back in the summer that Youtube TV would include PBS at some point but it is not listed on the Youtube TV website. Anyone know the status of PBS being streamed? Thanks

Yes, currently the only way to stream PBS is donate to your local PBS station (minimum of $60 per year). An Yes, YouTube is threatening to include it someday... perhaps soon.

After trying streaming boxes (Apple TV, Roku and Firebox) we find we prefer the smart TV (2016 Samsung TVs).
Our issue was each device was it's own black box. Each would give you a certain set of services, but none provided all the services we wanted.

Note, this was over three years ago and may well have changed. The new Apple TV+ for example, seems to have access to all of the other services (Hulu, etc).

End result though is the same, we are thrilled to be done with cable companies and their required annual haggling.

Regarding PBS, where we are at we get 6 channels of PBS OTA via a HD antenna in our attic. That may be a simpler option if available in your area.

Last edited:
After trying streaming boxes (Apple TV, Roku and Firebox) we find we prefer the smart TV (2016 Samsung TVs).
Our issue was each device was it's own black box. Each would give you a certain set of services, but none provided all the services we wanted.

Note, this was over three years ago and may well have changed. The new Apple TV+ for example, seems to have access to all of the other services (Hulu, etc).

End result though is the same, we are thrilled to be done with cable companies and their required annual haggling.

Regarding PBS, where we are at we get 6 channels of PBS OTA via a HD antenna in our attic. That may be a simpler option if available in your area.

First, is your "smart" TV able to access (for instance) these channels?

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

Secondly, the ability to watch PBS live is not the same as watching it "On Demand." The wait for a specific episode of Ken Burn's "Country Music" to be rebroadcast (particularly without a "beg-a-thon' feed) is not the same as simply going to the PBS channel, selecting it, and playing it in your own time and place.

Yes, currently the only way to stream PBS is donate to your local PBS station (minimum of $60 per year). An Yes, YouTube is threatening to include it someday... perhaps soon.
That’s incorrect.

You can watch a lot of PBS content with the free PBS app for free including the News Hour, This Old House, Nova, Frontline and quite a few others.

You only have to contribute $60 a year for PBS Passport if you also want Passport only content, Victoria is Passport only for example. Passport only shows are clearly marked with a small blue compass.

So I’d download the free PBS app and see what if anything you’re missing without Passport - unless you just want to donate to support PBS anyway.

PBS NewsHour has been live-streamed daily on free YouTube for quite some time. YouTube TV has mentioned adding PBS to their live channels.

And a heads up, Passport gives you all the national programs plus your locally produced/broadcast programs IF that’s where you donate. That might mean you’ll miss some other regional programming even with a Passport subscription. So you might want to donate to a large PBS market (like WGBH Boston for example) and have their Passport subscription instead of your local PBS affiliate. Our smaller local PBS station has almost nothing local of interest, so we subscribe to WGBH instead. You might want to check large metro PBS stations before subscribing to Passport to make sure you get the programs you want most. You can subscribe to any PBS affiliate anywhere, you’re not restricted to your local affiliate.

And we got PBS OTA clear as a bell, another option.

Last edited:
That’s incorrect.

You can watch a lot of PBS content with the free PBS app for free including the News Hour, This Old House, Nova, Frontline and quite a few others.

Good to know. But can you access "On Demand" programming as I was referring to?

(You are correct, I don't know what the OP was searching for exactly. I was simply "mind reading"... which we have already determined I am not very good at.)

Good to know. But can you access "On Demand" programming as I was referring to?

(You are correct, I don't know what the OP was searching for exactly. I was simply "mind reading"... which we have already determined I am not very good at.)
The PBS streaming app is on demand only, free or Passport. The only PBS live stream I know of is the NewsHour on free YouTube. No one else has live stream PBS programs that I know of, though paid YouTube TV appears to be working on adding PBS to their change lineup - linked earlier.

Repack/rescan has been a disaster for my older "flat paper sheet" style antenna. I don't typically use OTA except as backup. But if when I cut the cord, I want better access.

Any current recommendations for a good INDOOR OTA antenna?
One thing I can tell you is do not underestimate the power of height. This holds true especially for an indoor antenna. Maybe 7 or 8 feet is as high as an antenna can go indoors. Get it up there and aim it towards the transmitters and see what you can get.

The PBS streaming app is on demand only, free or Passport.

Okay, you have my attention. Are you saying that you can access past episodes "on demand" of "Country Music" with the "free" App? Or early episodes of "Bluegrass Underground," "Austin City Limits." "Masterpiece Theater," etc.?

If so, what is the advantage of subscribing to "Passport"? (Read why donate for programming access then.) I tried to research this but couldn't access the "free" version since I am already a member.

Okay, you have my attention. Are you saying that you can access past episodes "on demand" of "Country Music" with the "free" App? Or early episodes of "Bluegrass Underground," "Austin City Limits." "Masterpiece Theater," etc.?

If so, what is the advantage of subscribing to "Passport"? (Read why donate for programming access then.) I tried to research this but couldn't access the "free" version since I am already a member.

The free PBS app is quite good, with tons of quality content available. But if you want access to the complete on-demand library, you have to become a Passport subscriber for $5/mo. Before I subscribed several years ago, there were a number of recent episodes of Austin City Limits that I could not watch. That's the only example I can recall. I just don't pay much attention now to what's Passport and what's not.

If you want a more complete answer, just download the app and start watching for free. You'll quickly notice the Passport-only programs have a small compass symbol as mentioned earlier by Midpack. So you can reach your own conclusion.

IMHO, the problem with the app is that it only offers national PBS programs and programs produced by your local member station. It does not include syndicated programs aired by your local station. In our area, these are some of the best programs, like the Saturday line-up of DIY, cooking, and travel shows.

According to several websites, including this piece at cordcuttersnews.com, multiple PBS member stations will go live on YouTube TV starting Nov 4. We are PS Vue subscribers looking for a replacement. So YouTube TV is looking pretty good for that reason alone. We have no OTA access. We look forward to regaining access to the local syndicated programming plus PBS HewsHour live at 6pm. Yes, I know it live-streams on free YouTube, and we watch it that way sometimes. But we usually miss it because it live-streams at 5pm central time and we're usually still out-and-about at that time.

I might drop our Passport subscription once PBS goes live on YTTV. We can DVR our favorites and save a few bucks. Not sure about that yet.

I’m starting to cut the cord. We have 3 tv’s. Family room, exercise room, and my detached workshop. And internet and phone - all as part of a Comcast bundle.

First step of my plan is to get the exercise room and detached workshop tv’s off of the cable bill. I can put the exercise room tv on a fire stick.

But I don’t know how to best get the detached workshop tv working without being connected to cable.

I currently have a coax cable connecting the workshop tv to a splitter in the basement- about a 300’ run. I could repurpose this coax with Ethernet adapters on each end and then put the workshop tv on a fire stick. But I don’t know if the 300’ of coax and the adapters will be sufficient to run the tv streaming with the fire stick.

I’ve read that the best way to handle this is to wirelessly send internet from the house to the workshop using 2 antennas. I can probably mount the antennas on the house and workshop such that they are about 100’ apart. Again, I’m not sure if this wireless transmission will be sufficient to stream tv through a fire stick in the workshop.

Anyone have any ideas on how to best cut the cord for tv to a detached building?

Anyone have any ideas on how to best cut the cord for tv to a detached building?

An outdoor wireless access point mounted on the outside of your house would probably work, would need to run a Cat 5/6 cable from your router to the access point, could also use this cable to power the unit. If it's just 100' then you might get a strong enough signal in the shop so just one of these devices mounted on the house would work, you wouldn't need to mount a similar device on the outside of the shop.

https://www.amazon.com/COMFAST-Outd...3&sprefix=outdoor+access+point,aps,291&sr=8-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom