Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. How do you measure signal strength? My Fire TV Recast shows strength as Unavailable, Poor or Good... they may have better than Good but the best I get is Good. Unfortunately, none of our TVs offer a signal strength meter but I understand that some do.

Yes, my Samsung TV has a signal strength meter that gives a numerical readout for each channel. It can be found under Menu > Support > Self-diagnosis > Signal information. It provides info on the physical channel number (vs. the OTA channel number) and the signal/noise ratio (signal strength meter).

Other brands may have something similar.

Interesting. How do you measure signal strength? My Fire TV Recast shows strength as Unavailable, Poor or Good... they may have better than Good but the best I get is Good. Unfortunately, none of our TVs offer a signal strength meter but I understand that some do.
Yeah, that's a real shortcoming of the Recast. It's only recording OTA, so you'd hope they'd put a good OTA tuner on it, and a signal strength meter.

Yeah, that's a real shortcoming of the Recast. It's only recording OTA, so you'd hope they'd put a good OTA tuner on it, and a signal strength meter.
Tablo has similar issues with tuners seemingly worse than TV. Splitting among the multiple tuners is likely part of the issue.

I generally get good reception except for WRAL which is always in the lead in digital. They were one of the first stations in the nation. They currently are testing the new standard with a parallel broadcast. Anyway, the point is their signal is great, yet I pixelize. Seems to be multipath issues. Tonight it is raining and that improves my reception!

I cut the cable (ok, cut the sat dish) almost two years ago and was using an attic antenna for OTA channels long before that. When we moved out here in the country 22 years ago I installed an old "big @ss" antenna in the attic that I've had for so long I don't recall when or where I purchased it. I have been reasonably happy with it except for two small problems:

1. The thing is huge and unsightly (see photo below, left) and I had to do some redneck engineering to get it installed in the attic and pointed at the antenna farm 40 miles away. Of course I'm the only one who sees it, but I do have my standards.

2. Our local ABC channel has a strong signal but gets some infrequent and very intermittent signal interruption. It only lasts for a second and may occur a few times during a one hour broadcast but the interruption is irritating.

Enter the new antenna (see photo, right).

Channel Master offered $50 off their $89 UltraAntenna60 model and I took a chance on spending $39 (including tax and shipping) for a far smaller antenna that is probably 40 years newer than the old monster in the atttic. The Channel Master is 2 feet wide, 3 feet tall and 5 inches deep where the old antenna is something like 6 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 7 feet deep.

Took me about 30 minutes to install the new antenna next to the old one. Signal strength numbers are virtually identical and it appears the interference/signal loss on the ABC station is gone. :)

Tomorrow I'll go up and remove the old monster and give it a fitting send off.
I'm looking to buy that 4 bay antenna, can i ask you how you were able to get that price, that was a steal

We just signed up for ad-free Hulu yesterday. After the 30 day free trial we’ll still another month @$13 to get us into late November, but it’s well worth it for me just to avoid all the political ads.

Our Comcast HOA subscription includes HBO, so we get HBO Max, but can’t watch on the Roku. They seem to be at an impasse so I’m thinking about getting Apple TV.
Hulu usually has a Black Friday special, I'm paying $1.99 monthly for a year for the ad supported version and hoping they will have an offer this year as well.

Google's new (awkwardly named) Chromecast with Google TV is now out there and orderable.

ChromecastwithGoogleTV_Sky.0.jpg

I decided to get one so I can more easily enjoy my HBO Max subscription, since Roku is at war with AT&T.

I wanted to alert folks here that Google has a bundle deal where you get the device plus basic Netflix for 6 months for $90. The fine print actually says they drop a credit of $77.94 into your Netflix account. So, you essentially get the device for $12 and tax if you are going to be a Netflix subscriber.

The link is below. I was able to order at the top of the hour. It shows out of stock frequently, but I *think* they open orders top of every hour, which last for a minute or two. I camped on it clicking every few minutes until I hit the jackpot at exactly 9:00am eastern time. Feel lucky?

https://store.google.com/us/config/chromecast_google_tv_netflix

I should get the device in about 2 weeks. I'll write up my thoughts when I finally get it.

Last edited:
Effective today Youtube TV dropped Fox Sports Regional channels due to a money dispute with Fox Sports. This means I cannot watch some of my local college sports. First Youtube TV goes up in price and now they drop some channels I watch. I really like some things about Youtube TV (especially the DVR) but now I am looking for alternatives.

Effective today Youtube TV dropped Fox Sports Regional channels due to a money dispute with Fox Sports. This means I cannot watch some of my local college sports. First Youtube TV goes up in price and now they drop some channels I watch. I really like some things about Youtube TV (especially the DVR) but now I am looking for alternatives.
We like Hulu + Live over YouTube TV. $10 less per month and it includes FS1, FS2, FS Carolinas, FS South & FS Southeast for us (though prices/channels can always change, such is streaming). The cloud DVR isn’t as robust as YTTV, but the on-demand library is far larger.

A few months ago, I subscribed to YTTV over Hulu+live because the live sports were at slightly better picture quality. I've since dropped my subscription because NHL is over.

Well, I monitor Reddit and YTTV users have gone ballistic since NFL started. In many markets, NFL and NBA are unwatchable due to severe buffering. YTTV wants to blame it on the users' connection, but a pattern has emerged that certain live sports are the only shows suffering buffering. It sounds like a server-side issue, although no accountability has been admitted yet.

Meanwhile, nobody is complaining on Hulu+Live. I guess I know where I'll go when NHL starts up again.

My location is bad for OTA stations. When I go in antennaweb and input my location it returns a grand total of 2 possible stations I would receive. Even then I would have to get the largest antenna with preamp according to this site,
It is just not worth it. We have been reasonably happy with the Roku device since we ditched Directtv.
Occasionally we'll do a few months paying for a specific channel (Britbox, Netflix etc) until we run out of programming and cancel that channel.

We tend to watch less tv these days and just listen to music or public radio all day. Much more relaxing.

^^^^ I would not rely on the OTA web tools. Get a good quality antenna and test it... you can always return it if it doesn't work. We are ~30 miles from the transmitters and no line-of-sight because of a mountain between us and the transmitters.

According to antennaweb there is "no reception" at my address or even at any nearby neighboring addresses... yet I get ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS quite well with my $40 attic mounted antenna.

FCC DTV reception map indicates ABC is moderate and CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS are weak... yet I get them all and CBS, NBC and PBS are all strong.

TV Fool indicates that a roof-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up those channels, yet my attic mounted antenna picks them up fine.

^^^^ I would not rely on the OTA web tools. Get a good quality antenna and test it... you can always return it if it doesn't work. We are ~30 miles from the transmitters and no line-of-sight because of a mountain between us and the transmitters.

According to antennaweb there is "no reception" at my address or even at any nearby neighboring addresses... yet I get ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS quite well with my $40 attic mounted antenna.

FCC DTV reception map indicates ABC is moderate and CBS, Fox, NBC and PBS are weak... yet I get them all and CBS, NBC and PBS are all strong.

TV Fool indicates that a roof-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up those channels, yet my attic mounted antenna picks them up fine.

Could those signals be reflecting off something that the web tools are unaware of? Are all of the (your mentioned) broadcasting antennas located in the same area?

I was referring to the Antennas broadcasting (sending) the signals not your receiving antenna.

Oh, sorry. Yes, they are all near to each other broadcasting from the top of Mt. Mansfield... about 30 miles away according to TV Fool.

Good to know. I may give some thing like that a try.

Oh, sorry. Yes, they are all near to each other broadcasting from the top of Mt. Mansfield... about 30 miles away according to TV Fool.

Then IMHO. there has to be something directing the signal to your location that is not known to the OTA Web Tools. I would consider myself fortunate and enjoy my luck.

JoeWas,
I recently subscribed to Hulu +live, and I really like it. I used to have an antenna for local channels, but only on one TV.
Now I have a basement and bedroom TV all set up wirelessly using Firesticks.
Internet, Hulu+ and Netflix is a very nice setup.
I'm still dependent on Comcast for internet, and they continue to raise their prices.
A new fiberoptic cable provider is wiring up my neighborhood. Hopefully that competition will keep their prices down.

JP
A few months ago, I subscribed to YTTV over Hulu+live because the live sports were at slightly better picture quality. I've since dropped my subscription because NHL is over.

Well, I monitor Reddit and YTTV users have gone ballistic since NFL started. In many markets, NFL and NBA are unwatchable due to severe buffering. YTTV wants to blame it on the users' connection, but a pattern has emerged that certain live sports are the only shows suffering buffering. It sounds like a server-side issue, although no accountability has been admitted yet.

Meanwhile, nobody is complaining on Hulu+Live. I guess I know where I'll go when NHL starts up again.

I'm still dependent on Comcast for internet, and they continue to raise their prices.
A new fiberoptic cable provider is wiring up my neighborhood. Hopefully that competition will keep their prices down.

JP

It matters. We are super lucky to have Spectrum Cable, Google Fiber and AT&T fiber in our neighborhood. They are locked in a war with each other. Very helpful to keep the price in line.

I've used the flat antenna in outdoor config - and it worked ok, but was very sensitive to pointing.

Different house installed this one in the attic - easy to install and seemed less sensitive to pointing, but was on a different house, so perhaps apples to oranges - https://www.amazon.com/GE-29884-Out...1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1601830087&sr=8-19

Most recent house I got one of these just to avoid even going in the attic - works as well as either of the other two - about the same distance to stations, but perhaps now applies to oranges to grapes ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W52G8Q5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, lessons learned - too hard - too many fruit types!

BUT, I am a bit suspicious re sizing ... I have some basic understanding of antenna theory :)

And, as a final note, I solved the multiple TVs issue by plugging a SilconDust device that channelizes into the the router - so, the broadcast is available on all TVs via the house network. Still need to deal with app used to displace - AppleTV vs ROKU vs other methods.

It matters. We are super lucky to have Spectrum Cable, Google Fiber and AT&T fiber in our neighborhood. They are locked in a war with each other. Very helpful to keep the price in line.

You are lucky Joe. It is unbelievable to me that in Downtown Chapel Hill NC I only have one internet choice --Spectrum and they are awful, the cable goes out hours at a time. Google Fiber is in some neighborhoods but not mine yet.

You’re lucky. We have cox and spectrum available and I thought that would be helpful with pricing, but cox doesn’t budge on their pricing, even when I called to cancel and move to spectrum. Luckily the spectrum pricing is quite good for basic internet.

Yeah, I know. Having 3 providers with 500M+ service puts us in the top 1% of households, I'm guessing.

..... And, as a final note, I solved the multiple TVs issue by plugging a SilconDust device that channelizes into the the router - so, the broadcast is available on all TVs via the house network. Still need to deal with app used to displace - AppleTV vs ROKU vs other methods.

That is one of the things that I really like about our Fire TV Recast OTA DVR... in addition to recording OTA shows from our antenna, any of our 4 tvs that have Fire TV Sticks can use the Recast to view either live TV or any recorded programs. It is similar functionality of our former Dish TV Hopper setup, but $0 monthly charges (vs $65 for the Hopper).

That is one of the things that I really like about our Fire TV Recast OTA DVR... in addition to recording OTA shows from our antenna, any of our 4 tvs that have Fire TV Sticks can use the Recast to view either live TV or any recorded programs. It is similar functionality of our former Dish TV Hopper setup, but $0 monthly charges (vs $65 for the Hopper).

The same with our Tablo setup. It has live viewing and recorded viewing of OTA TV that can be viewed on all our TVs. We use Apple TVs for this.

I do pay a month add on to get the Tablo automatic commercial skipping service. Doesn't work on live shows that you are buffering (like the 10 O'Clock news), but works perfectly for shows like Jeopardy which we watch later - and oh boy do we skip a lot of commercials on Jeopardy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom