UPS drivers making $170,000 a year?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not yet, but wow, I had no idea they make as much as they do.

"During an earnings call on Tuesday, UPS CEO Carol Tomé said that by the end of its five-year contract with the Teamsters union, the average full-time UPS driver would make about $170,000 in annual pay and benefits, such as healthcare and pension benefits. "

This rivals tech worker salaries with college degrees.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tech-workers-react-ups-drivers-165836925.html

Not yet, but wow, I had no idea they make as much as they do.

"During an earnings call on Tuesday, UPS CEO Carol Tomé said that by the end of its five-year contract with the Teamsters union, the average full-time UPS driver would make about $170,000 in annual pay and benefits, such as healthcare and pension benefits. "

This rivals tech worker salaries with college degrees.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tech-workers-react-ups-drivers-165836925.html

benefits...healthcare and pension doing some heavy lifting there... (no pun intended).

benefits...healthcare and pension doing some heavy lifting there... (no pun intended).

Agree, although having a pension is sort of equivalent to taking money out of a base salary and putting it in a 401k.

It is important to note that the $170,000 figure represents the entire value of the UPS package, including benefits and does not represent the base salary. Currently, UPS drivers make an average of around $95,000 per year with an additional $50,000 in benefits, according to the company.

In five years, but still. Good for the drivers. It's not an easy job. :)

This will help to keep inflation humming along nicely.:)

That was my first thought, because, if the tech workers see someone else making X, they are going to want 2X

I have to wonder that even if some of them really do earn $170k/year (perhaps justifiable in places like NYC and parts of CA) how long can they earn that? I see those delivery guys jumping out of trucks and trotting, running, and sometimes sprinting, only occasionally walking, delivering those boxes. I seriously doubt anyone could keep that up for 20 years, let alone 30. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a major percentage of them have replacement joints by they time they're 50.

I have to wonder that even if some of them really do earn $170k/year (perhaps justifiable in places like NYC and parts of CA) how long can they earn that? I see those delivery guys jumping out of trucks and trotting, running, and sometimes sprinting, only occasionally walking, delivering those boxes. I seriously doubt anyone could keep that up for 20 years, let alone 30. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a major percentage of them have replacement joints by they time they're 50.

That is a good point. On the flip side though, wouldn't you think they might actually be healthier than a person with a desk job?

That was my first thought, because, if the tech workers see someone else making X, they are going to want 2X

And UPS will pass along increased prices, then the sellers will raise their prices, and then the manufacturers will......and so on.

That is a good point. On the flip side though, wouldn't you think they might actually be healthier than a person with a desk job?

Well, the running part to be sure, but I was thinking about the jumping out of the trucks and running on uneven surfaces. That has to be much harder on the joints than running on a smooth track or roadway like most recreational runners do.

I can't recall ever seeing a UPS driver that looks to be even a little overweight. FedEx drivers OTOH don't seem to be as rushed.

Last edited:
Inflation, yep.
$100k is no longer "The Big Bucks".
I guess it has not been for a while now.

Inflation, yep.
$100k is no longer "The Big Bucks".
I guess it has not been for a while now.

Just doesn't seem right that the I-bonds I bought in 2011 for $1000 each are only worth $1348. I swear $100k was a decent salary in 2011. Something is fishy :D

Just doesn't seem right that the I-bonds I bought in 2011 for $1000 each are only worth $1348. I swear $100k was a decent salary in 2011. Something is fishy :D

When I started working in manufacturing in a big plant in Connecticut in 1974 (just out of engineering college), my starting salary was around $12,000 a year.

My colleagues and I thought if we ever made $25,000 per year, we would be set for life!:cool:

I was shocked myself when I read about the $170K this morning but then saw the full benefits package was included. I do remember from my days budget planning we would use back of envelope numbers in early stages and would figure $40k per employee for all benefits and this was 25 years ago. We mostly used it then to figure budget savings for nationwide RIFs. The bad old days.

sounds about right. It has been mentioned that you don´t see many UPS drivers who are not fit and not moving pretty quickly, and you also don´t see many older drivers either. It is a younger person´s job, and they are selling their bodies quite literally.
They don´t get severance packages or any form of a golden parachute at the end of the day either. You work the hours you get paid.
That is how it is in the trades.

And UPS will pass along increased prices, then the sellers will raise their prices, and then the manufacturers will......and so on.

And consumers? Will they just pay up like mindless lemmings? I think not. Economic man will take over and seek lower cost alternatives .

sounds about right. It has been mentioned that you don´t see many UPS drivers who are not fit and not moving pretty quickly, and you also don´t see many older drivers either. It is a younger person´s job, and they are selling their bodies quite literally.
They don´t get severance packages or any form of a golden parachute at the end of the day either. You work the hours you get paid.
That is how it is in the trades.

I mean I get that, but there are other jobs like roofing, drywall (we are doing that one right now, uhg) which are pretty tough too and make nowhere near that coin. Imagine being on a roof in Texas in August.

how about the people who pick your food?
Lots of difficult work out there. I have been on paving jobs and those paving crews are doing it in the 100 degree heat around 300 degree hot asphalt.

Lots of difficult work out there. I have been on paving jobs and those paving crews are doing it in the 100 degree heat around 300 degree hot asphalt.

Oh, the paving crews. Same thought. How in the world do they do that in the 100 degree heat.

When I started working in manufacturing in a big plant in Connecticut in 1974 (just out of engineering college), my starting salary was around $12,000 a year.

My colleagues and I thought if we ever made $25,000 per year, we would be set for life!:cool:

If you want to amuse yourself watch that very old TV show The Millionaire where some ordinary person gets picked to receive a tax free million dollars. I bet you’d need at least 100 million today to live that same lifestyle. You will also see some very familiar and young faces.

Lawn crews around here are everywhere and earning their money cutting/trimming/etc in this 105 F heat. And they are not making anywhere near the UPS guys.

From a city near us:

"ASPHALT PAVING CREW ALL POSITIONS!!!
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
compensation: $30/ hour+ DOE
employment type: full-time
job title: Asphalt Crew
We are a well-established paving company looking to expand our asphalt crew. We have a great work environment with a large, state-of-the-art shop, quality, clean equipment, and full-time mechanic. We are looking for a qualified Paver operator with experience as well as labor and equipment operators. Must be dependable, reliable, and work well with others.

Health Insurance and Retirement
Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
Paid Weekly
Minimal to no Travel
Flexible Schedule"

$30/hr is $62,400 if working 40/hr week 52 weeks a year. No mention of how much or if there is a pension.

I wouldn't do paving here for $30 an hour, it was 97 degrees the other day.

From a city near us:

"ASPHALT PAVING CREW ALL POSITIONS!!!
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
compensation: $30/ hour+ DOE
employment type: full-time
job title: Asphalt Crew
We are a well-established paving company looking to expand our asphalt crew. We have a great work environment with a large, state-of-the-art shop, quality, clean equipment, and full-time mechanic. We are looking for a qualified Paver operator with experience as well as labor and equipment operators. Must be dependable, reliable, and work well with others.

Health Insurance and Retirement
Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
Paid Weekly
Minimal to no Travel
Flexible Schedule"

$30/hr is $62,400 if working 40/hr week 52 weeks a year. No mention of how much or if there is a pension.

I wouldn't do paving here for $30 an hour, it was 97 degrees the other day.

One of my friend's father worked on a paving crew in Connecticut back in the day. Over every summer, he routinely lost 20 + pounds and he wasn't a heavy person to start with. It's tough work.

Back
Top Bottom