Upscale cruise lines

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We want to visit France and specifically Normandy. I like the idea of a cruise for various reasons. I’m looking for any recommended cruise lines that tend to be more adult than families with kiddies. We are already looking at Viking, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't looked at their European voyages recently, but Regent Seven Seas is all-inclusive, very upscale, and the passengers tend old enough to almost be my parents (and I'm 66). One does sometimes see grandparents taking families with grandkids on a cruise, but it's not common, and the ships I've been on don't have much in the way of kid-friendly activities.

I've sailed with them twice, and would go again.

We have traveled Viking River, not ocean going, but have heard good things about them. We have gone Oceania to France (Brest, Bordeaux) etc...and highly recommend it as it seems to fit your criteria. Definitely the older set with slim to none families or kiddies.

We have done both viking river and ocean cruises.
OP - are you planning to do a river cruise and visit Normandy as an excursion ?

We did our river cruise in the beginning of June to avoid European children being out of school.

My parents did a lot of Viking and Grand Circle. I've done one of each with my Dad. Viking ships are a bit fancier and more numerous than Grand Circle. But Grand Circle is definitely quite nice as well. The youngest passenger I saw on either boat was a college graduate, and she was on a trip with her similarly aged brother and parents.

If I were looking at a specific area, I'd probably look at the specific offerings of the cruise company and pick based on the itinerary. Both Viking and Grand Circle almost certainly offer something in the Normandy area.

Check out Silver Seas. Smaller ships w about 1 to 1 guest / passenger ratio. We're currently on a 5-month world cruise and can truthfully say they are a class operation.
Also, look at Sea Dream… we've cruised the Med with them and would not hesitate to go back.

We have done both viking river and ocean cruises.
OP - are you planning to do a river cruise and visit Normandy as an excursion ?

We did our river cruise in the beginning of June to avoid European children being out of school.

We have been looking at a cruise from Paris to Normandy on Viking. We have a cruise next month on Viking to NZ and Aus and want to consider Normandy before we go as they normally offer 25% discount if you book your next cruise with them while on a cruise.

I want to have considered other vendors also but have heard good things about Viking, Hoping for smaller less crowded than the Celebrity we took few years ago.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions so far.

We were on the Danube with Viking last year. Enjoyed it very much.

We just booked an Italy intensive cruise on Azamara. It is a smaller ship which focuses on a more port intensive itinerary. We are going in October, so I don’t have any feedback. I found a YouTube video that compared three luxury cruiselines which was helpful.

We have taken two Azamara Cruises and liked the extra attention and all included. They are smaller ships with less features like smaller shows etc. We plan on going on them again. We also like Celebrity, but likely larger with families than you want.

We have been looking at a cruise from Paris to Normandy on Viking. We have a cruise next month on Viking to NZ and Aus and want to consider Normandy before we go as they normally offer 25% discount if you book your next cruise with them while on a cruise.

I want to have considered other vendors also but have heard good things about Viking, Hoping for smaller less crowded than the Celebrity we took few years ago.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions so far.

We found the Viking River cruise to be more personal than the Viking Ocean cruise.

Our Viking Ocean cruise was the Caribbean which meant the included tours pretty much sucked as (IMHO) the Caribbean islands are boring to us. Had it been in Europe it might have been better.

Sounds like you're looking just for river cruising.
We've taken two with Viking, and although they were good, you have to be aware that water levels in the rivers can be a problem. One of ours turned into more of a bus tour than a river cruise.

Uniworld gets a thumbs up from me. Great excursions, food, wine. All inclusive IIRC.

Sounds like you're looking just for river cruising.
We've taken two with Viking, and although they were good, you have to be aware that water levels in the rivers can be a problem. One of ours turned into more of a bus tour than a river cruise.

So if they had to bus you, did they have to take your bags along or did they manage to get the ship to the next destination?y

So if they had to bus you, did they have to take your bags along or did they manage to get the ship to the next destination?y

Caught up with the boat every time, so no unpacking involved. Just a pain to be taking long bus rides between stops.

Caught up with the boat every time, so no unpacking involved. Just a pain to be taking long bus rides between stops.

Thanks. Just thinking of packing and unpacking each day. None of that is one thing we like about a cruise :cool:

Back
Top Bottom