Vacuum recommendations

akl432

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi everyone! I’m hoping you all can help with vacuum recommendations! Here is what I’m looking for:

-Must have sufficient sucking capability to fluff up the carpet nap, to keep the carpet looking fresh and new
- Corded (not cordless)
- Must have an attachment to clean in tight spots/corners (unless there is a quality portable one you’d recommend for use in tight spots/corners)

I’ve seen good reviews on the Shark Lift-Away, but the lift-away part looks very cumbersome to use. I’d rather find one that doesn’t require taking apart the vacuum in order to use the attachments.

Thanks in advance for your help!

WE have a Meile, with multiple attachments.
Hepa filter, strong suction.
Easy to change the bag and attachments.
Can be spendy, ours was over $1000 a few years ago, but worth it.
I've tried Hoover, Shark, many others. This has been the best so far.

Meile gets my vote. I have a total of 4 vacuums and 2 carpet cleaning machines. If you only want one - get a Meile.

We have a Shark and very happy with it.
+1. I have the lift away and it is easy to use. I rarely use the attachments, instead, I detach at the lower pipe and just run that into corners and along baseboards. I only detach at the top in the rare occasions I use the upholstery attachment -- which I have to mention does a great job on cat hair.

As for the "lift away" canister operation: I only do that when I need to get under the bed. No need to lift anything away most of the time. Even so, it is not cumbersome. You do not need to lift away the canister to use attachments either. It is optional. You can leave the canister sitting on the brush and wheels. When you use an attachment, the machine "knows" this and turns off the beater brush. It essentially becomes a stand for your canister.

Pick one that has the strongest suction with bagless design. It actually became a good exercise for me during covid.

Miele Complete C3 Marin PowerLine .
You will get the best deal from your local vacuum store.
We really like ours.
We also bought one for our daughter.
$1100

Pick one that has the strongest suction with bagless design. It actually became a good exercise for me during covid.

+1
Look for power consumption. The Shark NV500 has a higher wattage than some higher price models. It has three washable filters, one of which is a HEPA filter. Consumer Reports has great ratings for the Shark.

I like my current Miele Complete C3. It's perfect for hardwood floors and the occasional rug. But when I had a lot of wall to wall carpeting, the best vacuum was my Dyson Animal upright. It pulled much more dirt out of carpets than any other vacuum I tried. I will say though that I wasn't overly impressed by the longevity of the Dyson (it ended in the landfill after only 5 years). I've been much happier with Miele and Electrolux in that department.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your quick responses and advice! When looking at suction power, I need to look at amps, correct (not wattage or volts)?

So far, here is my list of options:

- Shark NV 500 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs). Do you all recommend the Shark NV 500 over other Shark models?
- Hoover [FONT=&quot]UH71250 WindTunnel (12 amps, 16.5 lbs). Any experience or opinion on this model?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Hoover Commercial Upright [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CH54115 (12 amps, 19 lbs).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Any experience or opinion on this model?[/FONT][/FONT]
- Miele Dynamic U1 HomeCare - SHCE0. It looks like this is the only Miele option that is an upright vacuum.

I'm trying to strike a balance between suction ability and weight (since I'll be using it on stairs). The Shark NV 500 and Hoover [FONT=&quot]UH71250 WindTunnel are 15-16 lbs. The Hoover Commercial Upright is 19 lbs; do you think this would be too heavy for stairs? I am a single female.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Of the 4 listed above, which one would you choose?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Comparing watts or amps is fine since Watts=Amps*Voltage. Choose Shark.

+1. I have the lift away and it is easy to use. I rarely use the attachments, instead, I detach at the lower pipe and just run that into corners and along baseboards. I only detach at the top in the rare occasions I use the upholstery attachment -- which I have to mention does a great job on cat hair.

As for the "lift away" canister operation: I only do that when I need to get under the bed. No need to lift anything away most of the time. Even so, it is not cumbersome. You do not need to lift away the canister to use attachments either. It is optional. You can leave the canister sitting on the brush and wheels. When you use an attachment, the machine "knows" this and turns off the beater brush. It essentially becomes a stand for your canister.
This is so helpful - thank you!

Miele Complete C3 Marin PowerLine .

I like my current Miele Complete C3.

+ another plug for the Miele C3. I like to vacuum, love Miele construction, and so have one upstairs, one down. And a Miele H1 for the kitchen (to keep errant food in 1 bag).

Our cleaning lady though swears by her Shark and has been cleaning for over 20y. But I like to vacuum.

I recently replaced an old, but still working, Eureka upright with a Dyson Ball 2 on the strength of a very positive recommendation from a good friend. However I cannot recommend the Dyson myself. My main complaint is that it is very cumbersome to switch from vacuuming to using the hose and attachments to dust. My old Eureka was much easier to use in this regard. Also, the whole thing just strikes me as being built out of flimsy plastic parts and there is a groove in the handle that digs into my palm.

On a positive note, it is an excellent carpet vacuum and the head is slightly lower and narrower than on my old Eureka which makes the Dyson much easier to maneuver around and under furniture. It's also lighter and quieter than my old vacuum. Since I already owned a small canister vacuum, I've resolved to just use it for dusting and the Dyson for carpets. Life goes on.

Edit to add: It turned out that my friend never uses hers for anything but vacuuming the carpet, which is why she had no opinion on using the hose and attachments. Getting good requirements is hard!

Thanks so much for your quick responses and advice! When looking at suction power, I need to look at amps, correct (not wattage or volts)?

So far, here is my list of options:

- Shark NV 500 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs). Do you all recommend the Shark NV 500 over other Shark models?
- Hoover [FONT=&quot]UH71250 WindTunnel (12 amps, 16.5 lbs). Any experience or opinion on this model?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Hoover Commercial Upright [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CH54115 (12 amps, 19 lbs).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Any experience or opinion on this model?[/FONT][/FONT]
- Miele Dynamic U1 HomeCare - SHCE0. It looks like this is the only Miele option that is an upright vacuum.

I'm trying to strike a balance between suction ability and weight (since I'll be using it on stairs). The Shark NV 500 and Hoover [FONT=&quot]UH71250 WindTunnel are 15-16 lbs. The Hoover Commercial Upright is 19 lbs; do you think this would be too heavy for stairs? I am a single female.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Of the 4 listed above, which one would you choose?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Also in the market for vacuum cleaner. Need to clean carpets and hardwood floor.

Can you add " $ price ", to your list. Will save me and others a lot of time researching. Also, I assume your choices are all uprights? Thanks. :flowers::flowers:

I have a Miele canister so I can't speak to the upright model. I will say however that we were replacing our prior vacuums every few years before we bought the Miele vacuum which we have now had for 16 years. So despite an initial higher cost it definitely has turned out to be less expensive.

We have a Miele C3 and a Shark Lift Away and like both but for the price and being bagless the Shark wins by a fair distance in my book. We have a dog and the Meile goes through bags at a prodigious rate while it's just fun to see the Shark fill up with hair.

Dyson Ball Animal has really sucked for us (in a good way). It has performed flawlessly for about 4 years. Aside from strong suction power, this vacuum emits zero dust or smell, nada! The only negative is an extension hose that is awkward to use because it is constantly trying to retract back into the handle. We paid about $500, now I see them for under $300.

We had great service from a Dyson Animal after being (very) disappointed with a Eureka and an Oreck. The Dyson finally died after about 10 years, and we bought a top of the line Shark Apex w Duo Clean - to our surprise it’s been just as good as the Dyson. A pleasant surprise at half the price of a Dyson.

One of the features that is important to me in a vacuum cleaner is noise level. Quiet is good.
Another is that I hate stick/uprights.
I don’t care about cost of bags as the extra filtration is worth it to me.
Therefore, Miele C3 Marin for the win.

Thanks, everyone! Based on your friendly, helpful recommendations, here is my updated short list of options. I hope everyone finds this helpful! I'll report back after I make my purchase!

- Shark Apex AZ1002 (11.3 amps, 16 lbs) $249

- Shark Rotator NV 501 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs) $150

- Shark NV 500 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs). $149
- Miele Dynamic U1 HomeCare - SHCE0. $1,000+

Thanks, everyone! Based on your friendly, helpful recommendations, here is my updated short list of options. I hope everyone finds this helpful! I'll report back after I make my purchase!

- Shark Apex AZ1002 (11.3 amps, 16 lbs) $249

- Shark Rotator NV 501 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs) $150

- Shark NV 500 (10 amps, 15.5 lbs). $149
- Miele Dynamic U1 HomeCare - SHCE0. $1,000+

DS just got a Shark Apex and says it is fantastic. I could not be happier with my Miele Delphi. To each their own!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom