Vanguard would like to contact me??

Free2030

Dryer sheet wannabe
Not sure if this has been discussed before. If yes, my apologies in advance!

I received the following in my email inbox and am wondering why I'm receiving it. I've been a pretty passive investor, maybe moving my allocation 1-2 times a year, and my balance is below $500K so not on their list of any preference. Why would VG want to talk to me? Anyone received something similar?

Thank you for sharing you wisdom!
------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for entrusting Vanguard to help you achieve your financial goals.

We want to touch base with our clients to ensure all of their investing needs are being met and that you have the resources to be successful. I’m reaching out now to discuss a few account-related items and I wanted to give you advance notice in case there are additional topics you would like to discuss.

If you have a preferred time and day to be contacted, please respond to this email with a few dates and times that work best for you.

I look forward to speaking with you and assisting with your investment goals.

Sincerely,

XYZ
Registered Representative
Vanguard Retail Investor Group

I think all the major brokerages do this from time to time. It's just to offer you their services, with the hope that you might be interested in letting them manage some of your portfolio for a small fee. No harm in talking to the rep, and it's even possible that you might get an idea or two from him or her.

I've been with Vanguard for years. The only time I ever recieved something like this was years ago when we had a personal advisor at Vanguard

If I were to call them back, I would not necessarily want to use the phone number in the email. I would ask if they are available as an extension to the main well-publicized phone number.

-gauss

I think all the major brokerages do this from time to time. It's just to offer you their services, with the hope that you might be interested in letting them manage some of your portfolio for a small fee. No harm in talking to the rep, and it's even possible that you might get an idea or two from him or her.

I get them all the time. Phone messages. Email. I'm feelin' the love.

Interesting recent example from Wells Fargo:

Our role is to provide an improved and more personalized experience, however, not to provide advice. I would like to set up a time for us to connect and go over what this means for you.

+1.

OP: Most companies want to make sure you know what services they offer, so you can take advantage if it’s of value to you. Vanguard is much less aggressive in selling than most IME. It’s not unheard of for some customers to be unaware of all services available, and even to complain ‘why didn’t you tell me’ when they find out. If you’re not interested, don’t reply...

If I were to call them back, I would not necessarily want to use the phone number in the email. I would ask if they are available as an extension to the main well-publicized phone number.

-gauss

just get the main number from their website and go from there. likely a sales call.

I am bugged by how Banks & Brokerages do this type of thing.
Groom their customers to respond to emails... which is helpful for all the scammers out there.

It would be fine (IMHO) if Banks and Brokerages, said in the email "don't respond" instead go to the site like you normally do and enter a code number in a box, or log into the site and click on "mail".

Of course they only think of getting sales and not of the cost of stolen customer info/money down the road.

I got a phone message from my Vanguard registered representative a few weeks ago offering to just touch base and go over things if I wanted to. It was low pressure, and since I know what they offer and don't need any help at the moment, I didn't bother calling him back. He did mention his name in the message and it does match the name on my account statements, and it sounded like him, so I'm sure it was legitimate.

I think Vanguard is probably just making a low key push to help drum up some sales of their services. Fine by me, just not necessary for me at the moment.

I had a recent, unexpected, email from Fidelity asking me to contact them. They had "found" almost 10k for me.

Maybe their data is showing they are losing business - and, it is your demographic.

Fidelity?

Back when VG had their personal advisors, I told them to not call me, I'll call them. Watch out for the heelots :(.

Thanks everyone! I am usually very suspicious of sales pitches. I've been with VG for about 15 years and this is the first time they tried to reach out to me. I may call them in a few months through their main number on their website. Thanks for assuring me that it's not unusual (even though this may still be some Nigerian prince). ;)

Scammers are using texting now, I got one saying there was a problem with my Amazon account. I blocked the number.

Huh. I’ve been with VG for over 30 years (so has DH) and neither of us has ever gotten a similar call or email. Over $2mm there.

Rather than make sales pitches, maybe they should concentrate on giving good service to those that call in for help!!
I recently spent 1:45:00 on the phone, about 1:35:00 of that on hold, to transfer money from my account into my son's account.
It was something that could not be done online or I would have.
They used to have such good service.

Back
Top Bottom