Velcro shoe ties

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bought a pair of new balance walkers with the Velcro closures.

When the shoe lace on my previous pair broke I could just replace it.

I am wondering if the usable life of the Velcro shoes will be less because of the Velcro wearing out and not gripping properly?

I've avoided velcro on shoes for that reason. Velcro has worn out prematurely on other clothing.

I've never had Velcro wear out. I use Velcro straps for the handle on my walk behind mower and they've been on there for years. I attach and remove the Velcro straps every time I start and stop the mower. They do sell rolls, straps and small squares of Velcro that you could use to fix your sneakers. I have a jacket that's about 10 years old and the cuffs are adjustable with strips of Velcro. I can't imagine you would have sneakers for years.

I’ve never had shoes with Velcro, but I’ve had many other items with Velcro, and I don’t remember wear being a problem. Shoes with Velcro have been around for a long time, so I’d think you’d see all sorts of complaints online if it was an issue.

Velcro is one of those products that seems like it would last forever. But how long does velcro really last?

The answer may surprise you.

According to one study the average lifespan of Velcro is around 3000 cycles.

This means that if you use your Velcro 10 times a day it will last for about 800 days or just over 2 years.

[If not cycled excessively] Velcro can last up to 10 years.
https://www.arnabee.com/how-long-does-velcro-last/

Last edited:
Never had velcro shoes so I can't comment.

I may have to try them someday when I get old(er) or can't tie my shoes. Although arthritis is showing up in one finger on my left hand.:(

Any recommendations for velcro shoes? Maybe we should have a thread on this (recommendations)?

No velcro shoes but I have had many velcro sandals. All but one pair have worked well. It seems like there are different qualities of velcro and some grip better than others. Now I always check by trying to pull it apart. I also check the stitching to make sure it is made well. I can't think of anything else that you could do.

Now that you mention it I remembered that my Velcro Gets Sandler from 2002 still work fine.

By the time the velcro fails, it's most likely the shoe would need replacing otherwise. Soles get worn and support of the overall footbed will break down. If you are a regular daily walker, a year or two tops.

I have two pair of velcro sandals, they have lasted for years, but not used daily except in the summer.

We buy sketchers now, easy slip on sneakers. No ties or tripping possibilities.

I have two pair of velcro sandals, they have lasted for years, but not used daily except in the summer.

We buy sketchers now, easy slip on sneakers. No ties or tripping possibilities.

Bought a pair of these a few months ago, and they are great.

My sneakers only last a year before they wear out so I don’t think velcro would be an issue.

I had velcro straps on my running shoes a long time ago. I found they picked up lint/threads/etc which made them stick less in places.

I didn't like the look of the strap hanging somewhat undone at the ends due to not sticking there and never got velcro again.

I won't buy any velcro shoes, except maybe sandals. I just don't like the look of velcro straps on shoes. I can easily bend over to tie my shoe laces, so not a physical issue.

I always thought velcro straps on shoes were for people either too young or too old to tie their shoes....:angel:

I am wondering if the usable life of the Velcro shoes will be less because of the Velcro wearing out and not gripping properly?

I have used velcro walker shoes for 25 years. I have never had an occasion where the velcro gave out before some other part of the shoe (usually the soles). YMMV though

Last edited:
Substitute elastic laces and you can leave those tied & just slip the shoe on.

I always thought velcro straps on shoes were for people either too young or too old to tie their shoes....:angel:

Ah yes, I remember buying velcro sneakers when the kiddos were toddlers. They grew out of them before the velcro wore out - but that really was not a long time!

Exactly what I do. Though, I have thought about trying those slip on Sketchers.

I've had numerous pairs of velcro sneakers and shoes because they are more convenient and never had a problem with the velcro. But these days, I'm more of slip-on guy... problem solved.

Last edited:
That's a good option. I don't need that as I've always been able to leave my runners tied and then just slip them on and off.

Unless i break all my fingers or become paralyzed I have decided I am NEVER going to be old enough for velcro shoes! (No offense meant just a personal thing). My friend says the same about gray hair but I will give into that one day since it just looks odd to me after awhile to pretend you don't have any. . . .

Back
Top Bottom