Vinyl siding question for Old Medic

Maximus

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello old medic. Hope your recovery continues to improve. I see you posted 582 days ago about a vinyl siding project. The algorithm said I should not bump the thread so here I am.

Did you proceed with the project? If so can you share any insights? I am considering vinyl instead of a paint job. Thanks.

We’re looking at replacing the siding on our Jersey Shore home either with vinyl or fiber cement siding. The estimates, for the few willing to do them, are outrageous!

Vinyl siding should just need an occasional washing where fiber cement siding also needs to be painted every few years.

I've done a little vinyl siding in the past.

I think it's a great product, not hard to do, and lasts decades.
I would prefer vinyl over aluminum siding, as aluminum shows scratches, dents, etc.

Our vinyl did get some holes in it from a severe hailstorm, and I just had to buy new pieces to match and then took out the old ones and installed new ones wherever a damaged one existed. No need to strip the entire wall, just take out a piece and put in a new piece.

I would prefer vinyl over aluminum siding, as aluminum shows scratches, dents, etc.

Our vinyl did get some holes in it from a severe hailstorm, and I just had to buy new pieces to match and then took out the old ones and installed new ones wherever a damaged one existed. No need to strip the entire wall, just take out a piece and put in a new piece.

We’re looking at a thicker vinyl siding from Certainteed. A bit more expensive than fiber cement.

As others have said, vinyl is almost maintenance free. I would opt for that rather than occasional painting.
If you are handy and have the time, It is not a hard job to do unless you have a two story home, that would cause additional concerns.
If you do take on the job, watch a lot of Youtube videos! Attaching the siding is the easy part and only has a few things to be concerned about. Leave the fasteners loose enough, so the siding can expand and contract and make sure any ends you cut allow for that expansion. I used siding screws to help control depth, nails will work, it is just harder to control how far the go in. A magnetic screw driver bit to fit your cordless drill is very helpful, when you are trying to hold the siding and drive the screw in at the same time. Find the direction you will most often see the house, have the closest piece to you over lap the next piece. The joint line is much less visible that way.

The trim work is where the thinking comes into play. It is not hard and after a couple of practice pieces you get a feel for how to cut the piece you want to install.

Vinyl will crack (especially when colder) if hit with a weed whip, or rock, so do purchase a few extra pieces and store it for a color match.

As others have said, vinyl is almost maintenance free. I would opt for that rather than occasional painting.
If you are handy and have the time, It is not a hard job to do unless you have a two story home, that would cause additional concerns.
If you do take on the job, watch a lot of Youtube videos! Attaching the siding is the easy part and only has a few things to be concerned about. Leave the fasteners loose enough, so the siding can expand and contract and make sure any ends you cut allow for that expansion. I used siding screws to help control depth, nails will work, it is just harder to control how far the go in. A magnetic screw driver bit to fit your cordless drill is very helpful, when you are trying to hold the siding and drive the screw in at the same time. Find the direction you will most often see the house, have the closest piece to you over lap the next piece. The joint line is much less visible that way.

The trim work is where the thinking comes into play. It is not hard and after a couple of practice pieces you get a feel for how to cut the piece you want to install.

Vinyl will crack (especially when colder) if hit with a weed whip, or rock, so do purchase a few extra pieces and store it for a color match.

No way would I attempt this myself. It’s a two story home built in 1940. I can’t even climb a ladder anymore.

No way would I attempt this myself. It’s a two story home built in 1940. I can’t even climb a ladder anymore.

Yep, I wouldn't try siding a two story house, and I don't have many years left where I will be doing any siding jobs.

We have vinyl siding on our house as does my mother's house.

We splurged on the faux cedar shake vinyl siding. We liked the looks and it is much thicker and sturdier than the clapboard style of vinyl siding on my mother's place.

Only maintenance is spraying with bleach and pressure washing every 5-7 years and I hire that out.

As they say, vinyl is final.

I was going to mention the hail situation also. After a severe hail storm years back, numerous homes in our area experienced vinyl holes, many temporarily covered with duct tape until contractors could be lined up (not easy with so much roof damage at the same time).

Heavier vinyl siding, as mentioned later in this thread, might be a better answer.

Also, (forgot to add) find a vinyl that is not easily faded. I still see homes with the "patchwork" vinyl look (usually from the darker/more bold colors) where matching the existing color was not possible.

We replaced 40 year old vinyl with new vinyl.

This sums it up quite well. I built my detached garage/workshop about 20 years. Vinyl siding with aluminum soffit and fascia.

The only maintenance I do to the vinyl is cleaning. I had to replace a piece that I damaged with a weed eater. Other than that, it has been great. The aluminum soffit and fascia is showing some age discoloration.

But I think I'm going to tear off the vinyl and aluminum and replace it with LP Smartside. Just to give the shop a new fresh look.

Oh yeah, if you live in a high humidity warm area like south Louisiana DON'T use white vinyl. It shows the mildew much quicker than colors. At our previous house I had to wash the vinyl 2-4 times each year to keep it looking good. Neighbors with tan vinyl could go a couple years before needing washing. The mildew was there it just didn't show up as quickly as white.

I was going to mention the hail situation also. After a severe hail storm years back, numerous homes in our area experienced vinyl holes, many temporarily covered with duct tape until contractors could be lined up (not easy with so much roof damage at the same time).

Heavier vinyl siding, as mentioned later in this thread, might be a better answer.

In 20 years, we have had a number of hail storms, but only 1 damaged the siding on 1 side of the house.

It requires two things to damage the siding:
  • Large hail
  • Driving wind (which means the damage is going to be limited in number of sides and not all 4).

when adding a new master suite, a relative used fiber cement shingles to match the original exterior siding on the house.

vinyl siding wouldn't have worked well anyway at his windy beach location.

when adding a new master suite, a relative used fiber cement shingles to match the original exterior siding on the house.

vinyl siding wouldn't have worked well anyway at his windy beach location.

Why wouldn’t vinyl siding work at a beach location? Especially the thicker vinyl options available.

Why wouldn’t vinyl siding work at a beach location? Especially the thicker vinyl options available.

Still easy for the wind to get under it and pop it loose, based on his neighbors' experiences.

Cement shingles ain't going anywhere.

And said he made sure to keep the original exterior shingles properly painted since they're probably full of asbestos. :)

Still easy for the wind to get under it and pop it loose, based on his neighbors' experiences.

It was probably a bad installation... I've see a neighbor's vinyl siding come apart while all the other houses are fine.

Like anything it has to be installed correctly or it will fail..

Hello old medic. Hope your recovery continues to improve.
Did you proceed with the project? If so can you share any insights? I am considering vinyl instead of a paint job. Thanks.

Thanks and I'm slowly getting better. Yes we did proceed, and its still not done. I managed to get it about half done before the accident, and some great friends and family stepped in to help out. Our problem was we had to remove the original fiberboard siding, and cover the framing with OSB then done the siding. I will agree with not going with white, We did light gray siding with white trim, then used the shake style in a darker gray for the gable ends.
Depending on what you have now, you could also add some foamboard insulation under the new siding. Are you a DYI guy:confused:?

Thanks and I'm slowly getting better. Yes we did proceed, and its still not done. I managed to get it about half done before the accident, and some great friends and family stepped in to help out. Our problem was we had to remove the original fiberboard siding, and cover the framing with OSB then done the siding. I will agree with not going with white, We did light gray siding with white trim, then used the shake style in a darker gray for the gable ends.
Depending on what you have now, you could also add some foamboard insulation under the new siding. Are you a DYI guy:confused:?

Definitely not a dyi guy. Think I will solicit some bids.

Back
Top Bottom