Virtual "physical" with Molina rep

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I got on with Molina this year. Early in the year they sent us letters about getting our yearly physicals as soon as possible. I had mine in February, and everything was fine. DH hasn't had his yet. Some time later, Molina contacted me and wanted to do a virtual physical with them. I asked why, saying I'd already had one with my doctor, and the rep said, "It's just something we do." They had me sign up on their "MyChart" system, fill out some health questionaires and do a video interview with a Molina rep. They haven't asked my husband to do this.

Several years ago, he and I both had some joint surgeries. Also, he's had a spot of melanoma, and I've had a cardiac ablation to break an accessory pathway that was causing SVT. But since all that, we're both back to our usual activities with no problems. Back then, he was on a private insurance plan through the City, and I was with United Healthcare. I'm wondering if my health history was more visible to Molina, and they were concerned about their liability with me? I poked around online and couldn't find anything about this.

Has anyone else had Molina or another insurance provider ask you to do a virtual physical with one of their reps?

Last edited:
After reading your post, this sounds like the insurance company getting health information about you, to decide on premium or drop you or a similar thing.

How can an insurance rep do a virtual physical ? Where is their medical license ?

It does not sound like anything related to your health as it would be if it was a physical with a doctor.

After reading your post, this sounds like the insurance company getting health information about you, to decide on premium or drop you or a similar thing.

That's what I'm thinking. But the rep obviously had access to my health history, as she was asking questions about my past issues. So I don't know why they'd need to interview me like that.

As I understand it after doing a bit of research, insurance companies can't drop you for health-related reasons, nor can they base premiums on your current health or medical history. I've asked Molina again about the purpose of this "physical" and will post back when I get an answer.

Molina got back to me on this. I got a call from the supervisor of the nurse practitioner who did the virtual physical. He said they started doing virtual physicals with Medicare clients, then decided it'd be a good thing to do with all their clients. The purpose is to help ensure that clients are getting their health issues addressed, as doing so can save the company money in the long run. No doubt they're looking to beat the $737 million in profit they earned in 2019.

I'll have more confidence in his explanation when I hear of other Molina clients who are asked to do a virtual physical.

I have been asked but have declined every time... most of the times I do not even answer the phone..

Once when I did they did say they wanted to make sure blah, blah, blah.... I said that is what I have a primary care doc for and do not need their help..

NOW, if you wait (not sure if they do this anymore) they will send an offer that if you do your annual physical they will send a $25 gift card.... my wife has gotten one.. I go every 3 to 6 months for my check up and meds...

I just got a call from oncology to change my in-person appointment to virtual. It has been years since I had a diagnosis of breast cancer, normal mams every year since. I didn't see the need to meet with the physician so a virtual appointment is more than enough. Frankly with all the deferred medical care physicians are likely hearting financially, I suspect that this is more for her benefit than mine. Call me a cynic.

NOW, if you wait (not sure if they do this anymore) they will send an offer that if you do your annual physical they will send a $25 gift card.... my wife has gotten one.. I go every 3 to 6 months for my check up and meds...

Oh rats! I'll try this next time they contact me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom