Walk-in Tub?

SoReadyToRetire

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone in this forum have a walk-in tub in their home? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Thinking of putting one in to replace our standard tub when we update our bathroom. I wonder if it would affect the resale of our home, or increase or decrease the value, etc.

They look like wonderful things for relaxing tired muscles in when you don't have a lot of room. :)

I too am looking at bathroom upgrades. Because we live in a co-op I doubt that a bubbler/jacuzzi is an option because of the noise and vibration. That said I would like a deep tub, a soaker. If that tub becomes an issue when we are older there are aftermarket step in kits.

I doubt that the type of tub will increase your home value.

An older neighbor really wanted one. Not sure if she got taken, but they had to install TWO 50-gallon hot water heaters to make sure she had enough hot water to fill it. And she still complains there's no such thing as a leisurely soak because the water cools off quickly. AND, you have to sit in it until it drains, because if you open the door, well, you're hosed, literally.

I've heard it's not good for resale, but our neighborhood is quasi-retirement, so it probably won't hurt her kids when they sell after she passes.

This is all I know about them. We decided we'd remodel the shower to be zero entry with stable seating available in the much larger shower. That's a blow that dough thing to be done in the future.

They are very heavily advertised in magazines aimed mainly at boomers, so they must be profitable to sell and install.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to get one.

When we were looking to upgrade our ground floor bathroom, we looked at a walk in tub, but didn't like the small size, the high price, or the idea of wasting so much water, or trying to keep it warm.

We both prefer showers, so we went with a low lip 36"x60" shower base, and enclosure that has a movable seat. https://www.homedepot.com/p/STERLIN...r-Kit-with-Seat-in-White-72290100-0/202925608

We truly love this shower, and can get the dogs in their as well for their baths.

Better to tile in an area large enough for a walk-in, curb-less shower.

Make it large enough for a shower chair & an attendant...but preferably large enough even a wheelchair could fit.

Curb-less is important...there's still a step to get over with walk-in tubs.

Usually much cheaper to go with the shower approach as well.

We looked at one for my mom, and decided to go a different direction, as the plumbing cost to fill the tub quickly were extreme. That being said, even if the plumbing was done correctly, it likely won't help your home value, as you eliminate some potential home buyers.

Doesn't make sense to me to sit and wait for the thing to fill, then have to wait until it drains before you can get out. Much rather have a shower. On our list is to redo our fiberglass shower with a custom tile with a regular shower head and handheld shower. Not sure if I want a large bench to sit on or just a small shelf to rest my leg on and room for a shower seat.
Then to get my architect son to design it.

I would buy a hot tub/spa instead. Oh wait, I did. It makes more sense to me to only have to drain and fill the hot tub a couple of times a year and it is always ready to use. Since average cost of a walk in tub with hydotherapy is $5 - 7k you could buy a hot tub for that kind of money. Then if you decide to move you can take it with you. Try to do that with a walk in tub.

Cheers!

I know an old guy that has one.
He filled some milk jugs with water and put them on the floor of it, so that it will take a few less gallons to fill up. He also replaced his 40 gallon water heater with a 50 gallon one.
This suggests to me, the issue of using a lot of water is true.

I don't find walk-in tubs to be one bit appealing (for me anyway)!

Here's what I think is perfect as one grows older:

Better to tile in an area large enough for a walk-in, curb-less shower.

Make it large enough for a shower chair & an attendant...but preferably large enough even a wheelchair could fit.

Curb-less is important...there's still a step to get over with walk-in tubs.

Usually much cheaper to go with the shower approach as well.
Also make the entry to the shower wide enough that the wheel chair could just roll right in.

I think I would freeze to death waiting for it to fill and same when it was draining

Next time you shower, turn off the water, open the door or curtain and just stand there. For a super long time. No thanks.

Would hinder you at resell if I was your buyer.

We just gutted and remodeled our master bath. We got rid of the tub and put in an 8' shower with no curb, no door. We love it. I love just walking in there without the high threshold. We have a large bench with we have a rainhead and a handshower. Well, OK see attached. We are really enjoying it.

For long soaks we use the spa in our pool. At our last house, which didn't have a pool, we bought a standalone Sundance spa which we put on our patio and was wonderful. Much more practical than a tub.

FWIW, both our designer and every contractor I talked to told that very few people want a tub in the master any more.

Edit: Don't really know why the pic is sideways.....

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 55
Does anyone in this forum have a walk-in tub in their home? If so, what's your opinion of it?

Thinking of putting one in to replace our standard tub when we update our bathroom. I wonder if it would affect the resale of our home, or increase or decrease the value, etc.

They look like wonderful things for relaxing tired muscles in when you don't have a lot of room. :)

Dh and I are currently looking for a home in a 55+ community. We are barely of age to be buying in such an area, so are on the younger side in case our data point is of interest to you.

Neither of us will even consider a home that has one of these monstrosities in it for all the reasons mentioned in the posts above mine.

We think they are quite ugly and that alone decreases the house's value in our eyes. We have passed on some beautiful homes because once we see that walk-in tub, it's a hard 'no'.

The water issues (heating and quantity) are real. In our current home, we have what is called a 2-person Jacuzzi tub (it's more like 1 1/2 person, as I can't see two adults in there at once) that has only been used a handful of times in the last decade because of the water issues. That thing takes about 25 minutes to fill, uses almost all of the hot water in our 50 gal tank, and gets cold within 10 minutes. Nothing relaxing at all about that. I would imagine the walk-in tub takes more water than that, and takes even longer to fill, although I could be wrong on that.

As a buyer, I say spend the money on a curbless shower.

We just gutted and remodeled our master bath. We got rid of the tub and put in an 8' shower with no curb, no door. We love it. I love just walking in there without the high threshold. We have a large bench with we have a rainhead and a handshower. Well, OK see attached. We are really enjoying it.

For long soaks we use the spa in our pool. At our last house, which didn't have a pool, we bought a standalone Sundance spa which we put on our patio and was wonderful. Much more practical than a tub.

FWIW, both our designer and every contractor I talked to told that very few people want a tub in the master any more.

Edit: Don't really know why the pic is sideways.....

That looks dreamy!

Regarding your last sentence, we just had our pre-listing inspection done and the guy asked if I used our Jacuzzi a lot and said no and told him why. He said that everyone building a custom home no longer puts them in and that every remodel has them coming out in favor of the curbless showers.

PERFECT shower!!! Wow. That is simply amazing. :) I don't see any grab bars; although I am sure you don't need them now, later on adding a few might be something to think about.

PERFECT shower!!! Wow. That is simply amazing. :) I don't see any grab bars; although I am sure you don't need them now, later on adding a few might be something to think about.

If you turn your head to look at the pic (not sure why it is sideways) there is an installed grab bar next to the hand shower near the bench. Also we put in the blocking to add an additional grab bar later on if needed. So, all we have to do is buy the bar and screw in it where the blocking is located.

we looked at replacing our tub with one. my wife is developing mobility issues so getting up from sitting in a tub is a non starter and i worry about her stepping over the edge of the tub to shower. sitting in the walk-in tub waiting for it to fill and empty isn’t attractive so we’re getting rid of the tub and putting in a curbless shower. yes, we might be eliminating potential buyers when we sell. no problem. if it’s an issue we’ll offer a cash-back to restore a tub. my wife’s safety is paramount and priceless.

we looked at replacing our tub with one. my wife is developing mobility issues so getting up from sitting in a tub is a non starter and i worry about her stepping over the edge of the tub to shower. sitting in the walk-in tub waiting for it to fill and empty isn’t attractive so we’re getting rid of the tub and putting in a curbless shower. yes, we might be eliminating potential buyers when we sell. no problem. if it’s an issue we’ll offer a cash-back to restore a tub. my wife’s safety is paramount and priceless.

From what everyone told us most people don't really want a tub in the master (there are exceptions for whom it is a deal breaker but mostly not). They do generally want one tub in the house.

You will love the curbless shower. Another thing to think about is the tile in the bathroom. I love both our bathroom tile and the shower tile. What I particularly love on the bathroom tile is that it isn't slick. I never feel I am in danger of falling. We picked the bathroom tile for looks, but that has turned out to be an added bonus.

If you turn your head to look at the pic (not sure why it is sideways) there is an installed grab bar next to the hand shower near the bench. Also we put in the blocking to add an additional grab bar later on if needed. So, all we have to do is buy the bar and screw in it where the blocking is located.

Oh great!!! In that case, I think your shower is beyond perfect. :D What a nice shower.

I would buy a hot tub/spa instead. Oh wait, I did. It makes more sense to me to only have to drain and fill the hot tub a couple of times a year and it is always ready to use. Since average cost of a walk in tub with hydotherapy is $5 - 7k you could buy a hot tub for that kind of money. Then if you decide to move you can take it with you. Try to do that with a walk in tub.

We moved 3 mos. ago, and have a relatively new hot tub at the "old house." I anticipate having to move that 800 lb. monster in the near future and the $1K electrics it's hooked up to. I'll have to rent a forklift to get it to the street.

I live in a 55+ community with a fair number of resales. The one complaint I frequently hear is how hard it is to sell a house with a walk-in tub. If you really want it for yourself (and it is someone else's headache on selling the house when you are gone) go for it; otherwise, realize it might be a bit of a hassle when you sell.

Marc

Also make the entry to the shower wide enough that the wheel chair could just roll right in.

I’ve found the easiest to use (if you’re the attendant) is wide enough to roll in, turn the wheelchair/shower chair to face the shower and have a little maneuvering room on all sides for using a hand shower head.

Our family removed a bathtub and tiled the entire space for a large shower. It was super helpful.

Last edited:
From what everyone told us most people don't really want a tub in the master (there are exceptions for whom it is a deal breaker but mostly not). They do generally want one tub in the house.

You will love the curbless shower. Another thing to think about is the tile in the bathroom. I love both our bathroom tile and the shower tile. What I particularly love on the bathroom tile is that it isn't slick. I never feel I am in danger of falling. We picked the bathroom tile for looks, but that has turned out to be an added bonus.
we have a traditional 3-BR, 1.75 bath split level home, no master bed/bath situation. I've heard the same about buyers wanting 1-tub in the house. but that's OK..we're gonna stay in the home as long as we can..hopefully another 10-15 years or for as long as we both can climb stairs. we love the home, town and neighborhood and have extensively remodeled the home to make it comfortable for us while at the same time not doing anything really wild and weird (think no 'jungle room'). so the tub is coming out and a curbless shower is going in along with some other changed and upgrades in the upper bath. and thanks for the tip on the tile...we will definitely look at that.

Back
Top Bottom