Want to buy a ladder - questions

Best way to remove built up debris from the gutter that I've found is to use a leaf blower. ....

+1 And start the leaf blower before you get on the roof. That way you don't have to worry about keeping your footing while yanking on the cord. Then climb the ladder, and walk around the perimeter of the roof blowing out the gutters. Takes about 5 minutes.

I do my gutters several times a year, and I'm getting shakier up there as I get older. I have an 8/12 roof pitch - I would not attempt anything steeper than that.

I'd get the 24' aluminum.

As for stability, I would also buy one of those extenders that hold the ladder in place better..

Get yourself a stabilizer kit (U-Shape) like this one at HD for $25, you're good to go. I have been using it in the last 8 years, and it makes a day and night difference. Of course, always exercise with caution and sound judgement.

a7380032-c0d0-4c36-b313-68c39c349aa3_300.jpg

You should have 24 foot minimum for a 2-story, it needs to be placed at a 75 degree angle and extend at least 3 feet above the contact point. Odds are the ground around your house won't be perfectly level, IOW the base will be at low spots in some places.

I totally agree with Midpack. It's always a good idea to overestimate it a little instead of having regret later on.

Texas Proud said:
I do not think that would work for a two story... and pine needles are not the same as leaves....

BUT.... I just found this... might have to look into this as an option... much safer...

Ultimate Rain Gutter Cleaning Tool

Thanks -- I am going to get one! I've fashioned something like that for clearing the downspouts, but this looks better.

It is hard to know where to draw the line regarding safety and cost. I fell off a ladder once and was lucky not to be more seriously injured.

I have a folding ladder, which works well, and I can store it in the shed. If it weren't for the expense, I'd get a telescoping model.

Last edited:
BUT.... I just found this... might have to look into this as an option... much safer...

Ultimate Rain Gutter Cleaning Tool
Looks like it would take forever that way, much more time consuming than going up a ladder. But clearly much safer, and for $27.99, probably worth a try.

I posted earlier about ladders, but I'm with the get it done without a ladder crowd. Just too dangerous, especially with a two-story (my next house will be a one-story).

+1 And start the leaf blower before you get on the roof. That way you don't have to worry about keeping your footing while yanking on the cord. Then climb the ladder, and walk around the perimeter of the roof blowing out the gutters. Takes about 5 minutes.

I do my gutters several times a year, and I'm getting shakier up there as I get older. I have an 8/12 roof pitch - I would not attempt anything steeper than that.

I'd get the 24' aluminum.
Our low roof pitch makes it easy to walk on. I too use a leaf blower and have bought a cordless one shown here: Amazon.com: Black & Decker NS118 18-Volt Cordless Electric Broom Hard Surface Sweeper: Home Improvement
There is no cord or worry about. It is not as powerful as an electric but does the job and is a lot more convenient around the house. I have 2 batteries also and use the B&D hedge trimmer with the batteries. Best to do when the leaves in the gutters are dry (before rains). Use safety goggles. Save the beer for after the job ;).

If your worried about the aluminum ladder stability have your spouse stand by and hold the ladder from side-to-side movement as you go up/down. Once I was using a hose up on the roof and the hose pushed the ladder over. DW had to rescue me.

As one that felt he was always safe on a ladder, trust me, hire it done. As you get older, you not only get weaker you also tend to lose you balance more readily. I've fallen twice now and that's it. Last time caused rotator cuff surgery.

I have had a Little Giant ladder for 15 years and I love it. Does everything I need and more......:)

Something to watch out for as you guys grow older - - (I'm sure it wouldn't apply to any of you early retirees and other members).

I don't know WHAT it is about elderly men that makes them h*ll bent on spending time doing risky things up on top of a roof. Young guys won't do it no matter how much their wives nag, but older guys value roof time more than sex, I think. :rolleyes:

I suppose these elderly men are thinking, "See, everybody? I've still GOT it" but the neighbors are all thinking, "There's that crazy old John Doe, nutty as a fruitcake, galavanting around on his roof again."

older guys value roof time more than sex, I think. :rolleyes:

You've just given me an idea, but I don't think I can get Lena to go along with it.

Any chance you have a second story window that opens up to rooftop access? The ones on either end of my house do that so I don't need a ladder.

Something to watch out for as you guys grow older - - (I'm sure it wouldn't apply to any of you early retirees and other members).

I don't know WHAT it is about elderly men that makes them h*ll bent on spending time doing risky things up on top of a roof. Young guys won't do it no matter how much their wives nag, but older guys value roof time more than sex, I think. :rolleyes:

I suppose these elderly men are thinking, "See, everybody? I've still GOT it" but the neighbors are all thinking, "There's that crazy old John Doe, nutty as a fruitcake, galavanting around on his roof again."
In my case, it's as simple as I can be that cheap given half a chance. But I don't plan to clean my gutters with a ladder again, last time this past Fall.

Though come to think of it, DW didn't object at all, she held the ladder. She even suggested that I get on the 2-story roof instead of cleaning from the ladder only, that made me highly uncomfortable. Maybe I didn't pick up on what she was thinking...hmmmmmmmm

I have spent more nights than I care to remember in Operating Rooms helping to put guys back together who fell off ladders .Spend the money !

Last edited:
With interest rates so low, a ladder gives you the chance to take advantage if rates ever........Oh...that kind of ladder.

I agree with Ha......
I would suggest maybe renting a ladder to determine the right length. Even at 40 pounds, the length can make it extremely awkard (dangerous) to handle. I needed a 40ft extension ladder to reach my gutters and after renting one and getting it home (an adventure in itself), I realized it takes two people to safely lift it into place....after that paying $100/yr to have the gutters cleaned seems like a deal and I put it into my expenses spreadsheet.

All my neighbors have gutter guards and when it rains heavy, the water just spills over and flood the area below.

Choosing to get up there and do the gutter cleaning depends on so many things:

1) Do you really want to do it?
2) Is the personal satisfaction or savings worth it?
3) Are you OK with heights?
4) Are you in good physical shape?
5) Do you have the right equipment?
6) Do you know the safe procedures?
7) Is your roof easy to deal with i.e. is it low to moderately pitched?
8) Do you have the right clothes up there i.e. sturdy rubber soles, etc. ?

Probably more questions I cannot think of.

When I'm up there I'm always thinking safety first.

I have spent more nights than I care to remember in Operating Rooms putting guys back together who fell off ladders .Spend the money !
Hey, some of those broken-up guys were probably ones who were paid the money.

Gravity: an equal opportunity force of nature.

This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?

Try to find a women who would clean gutters to save $100!

Ha

This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?

Try to find a women who would clean gutters to save $100!

Ha

Well, it is not just $100... that is what it cost to do it one time... with all the pine trees etc. it probably should be done 4 or 5 times a year... and think every year.... that is why I would rather get something that is easier to handle and a good screen that handles pine needles..

I still clean my own gutters -- well most of them. There is one that's located a story-and-half high and I just get too scared tackling it every three years or so. The others are all one story high. Nevertheless, it is an onerous task that I don't look forward to each fall and could very well be one of the things I hand off to (pay) someone else.

I'm seriously considering retiring the snow shovel as well and getting a snowblower. But as this winter (has so far) been a non-event, it has been a easy couple of months.

Well, it is not just $100... that is what it cost to do it one time... with all the pine trees etc. it probably should be done 4 or 5 times a year... and think every year.... that is why I would rather get something that is easier to handle and a good screen that handles pine needles..
Yep, I get up there once in September and then again just before rains start here, in October generally. Then I blow them out a bit more after a few months. Only one side of the house gets a lot of small oak leaves.

I clean my own gutters and have a 1 story home. No getting on the roof for me so I work from the ladder. Here are a few tools that I have purchased over the past 18 years and find them to help with the job.

Ladder stabilizer: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

Really like the debris removal tool with the extension wands. Don't need to move the ladder as much and don't need to lean when on the ladder. Gutter cleaning tool: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

Just bought this in 2011 as the other stabilizer is limited around windows and does not allow getting very close to a corner. It works OK, but is more of a hassle to put on and take off. Also a ladder is really akward to carry around with a stabilizer attached. Ladder stabilizer for corners: Amazon.com: Werner AC78 Quickclick Stabilizer: Home Improvement

I would like some effective covers for the gutters, yet find some real concerns for each type when reading the reviews.

Several years ago I bought one of the tools similar to this: Amazon.com: Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning tool: Home & Kitchen .
Although the one I got was aluminum and plastic, it broke quickly and was a real piece of junk (found it at HD).

Paying someone else to do it is sounding better each year that goes by!

.....I don't know WHAT it is about elderly men that makes them h*ll bent on spending time doing risky things up on top of a roof. Young guys won't do it no matter how much their wives nag, but older guys value roof time more than sex, I think. :rolleyes:

Yes. My 78 yo uncle hurt himself working on a roof a couple of years ago. I happened to see him when he was recuperating. I asked him if I could ask him a question and he replied "yes". Then I said "What the f were you doing up on a roof at your age - are you f-ing crazy?" Then he muttered something about how the young guys couldn't do the job as well as he could and as a result he "had" to do it. I just :rolleyes:. I don't get it.

This thread amazes me. What kind of priorities and attitudes could it take for a middle aged, well off guy to risk himslef on a ladder to save $100?...

Ha - it all boils down to "I've cleaned my gutters myself for ___ years. I'm in great shape. I can do this well into my 70's." It's a simple way for a guy to prove that he still has his youth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom