We Got 16 Inches of Snow!!

OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway? Going there for a few days is a novelty, but living there must be agony.

Because family is close by. That's the only reason. The farthest relative is two hours away.

My original retirement plan was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was. But DW is enjoying not having to work solely because she can spend all the time with family that she wants. That's worth putting up with some snow once in a while.

Some people actually LIKE the stuff. A friend of mine says when he retires he'll do the same thing with the snow thrower/pickup truck, only drive north until people tell him "Man, that snow thrower ain't nearly big enough for around here".

Some people actually LIKE the stuff. A friend of mine says when he retires he'll do the same thing with the snow thrower/pickup truck, only drive north until people tell him "Man, that snow thrower ain't nearly big enough for around here".

Back from the doughnut shop - the city is plowing some of the side streets - got a 4-5 foot pile at the foot of the driveway in back of my little pickup.

I guess they 'knew' I'd been dogging my exercise and wanted me to catch up using the snow shovel.

heh heh heh - :D.

Ah, yes, I remember it well. When zero was an improvement and 20 degrees felt like a heat wave. The boss would let me leave at noon to dig out my car but would charge me vacation time. Those were the days.

The local weather guys updated out snowfall total to 20 INCHES!!!

But the snow is so "pretty"..........:(

Milwaukee area?? I'm closer to Green Bay so I got lucky this time around with only about an inch by us but 12+ inches 60-100 miles to the south. Still, well over 50 inches for the year so far. Now below zero temps for the weekend!

Snow is like sex: you never know how many inches you'll get, or how long it will last...

Alabama: "It's not the heat, it't the humidity that kills you"

Pacific Northwest: "It doesn't rain THAT MUCH"........

Texas: "Everything's bigger here, even the hail".........

Oregon: "Rain is effective tourist repellent"
Alaska: "It's difficult to ice skate on lakes that are not frozen"
"Snow shoes wear out too fast on dry ground"
"Skiing is a bitch without snow"
"No snakes" (except maybe certain of our politicians):duh:

OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway? Going there for a few days is a novelty, but living there must be agony.

Well, the problem with central Minnesota is there just isn't enough snow. I grew up in upper michigan and our average snowfall there is 120". Here it's only 49" and it never seems to do much but fall and melt.

The cold isn't that bad most of the time. It's psychological; 40F in September is cold, 40F in March is warm... by extension, 10F in February feels downright balmy. In fact, you'll see people without coats in March as soon as it crosses 30F.

The only time I find it truly miserable to live in Minnesota is mid-January through mid-February. It's the coldest part of the season (we're shooting for -20F by this weekend again).

You know what's funny... we went to Arizona one February on a whim... had enough of the cold and needed out. That was a great time to visit but we thought it'd be horrible to actually live in Phoenix during the summer.

Snow is like sex: you never know how many inches you'll get, or how long it will last...

I wasnt gonna say it, but you broke the ice.

"Hey baby, why hope for 16 inches of snow tomorrow when I can promise you 8 tonight?"

Thanks to our village plow trucks I got stuck in the wall of snow they plowed in front of my driveway last night.

Being a former muni employee, the plow drivers take good care of me. Our street has been plowed curb-to-curb after every snow event. And they make sure that the end of my driveway isn't piled up either! In fact I stopped down at the plow garage this afternoon to personally thank them for their great job! That was the 3rd time I've done that this winter. They appreciate the kind words.....they don't get many of them.

I was at Anna Marie Island yesterday and I was surprized at the number of vacancy signs for rentals . So leave the snow for awhile and mentally re group .

I'll be in Clearwater Beach starting next Tuesday for a week, then over to Daytona Beach for 2 more weeks after that! I'll get back here in March when it's almost spring! The crocus' and daffodils will be blooming by then! :D

I really like the weather here! The winters aren't THAT bad! So it snows some, and sometimes gets pretty darn cold, but overall it ain't bad! Personally, I like snow.....and the cold kills off the some of the pesky bugs....and germs! (and it keeps the darn kids off my lawn! :D) The summers aren't too bad either. Sometimes it get pretty hot, and sometimes it gets somewhat humid, but the pleasantly warm & sunny days far out weigh the more extreme days! Of course there's always the springs and falls!

There's no place like home!!! :cool:

Northern IL - close to WI. I would miss the seasons, and the snow *is* pretty. Add family ties to that.

Also, add the fact that the alternatives are not really that attractive to some people. Personally, I absolutely hate warm/hot, humid weather. I mean hate it. I hate the few weeks of hot/humid we get here. I hate the idea of having to routinely spray the house with pesticides. I hate mold and termites, and stuff like that.

...We had a -27 degree day here years ago, and a stretch of -20-22 lows a few years back. It's just painful, the tires on your car have flat spots on them for miles until they 'warm up' to -15 or something from the friction of driving. The radio knobs are stiff, the trans shifter has to be forced, .....

I agree! I'm a few miles further south (not far from the I-39 & I-80 interchange) and absolutely love all of the seasons we have! How do people stand living in those other climates? I just don't understand it! :rolleyes:

We have had the 4th snowiest Winter on record so far. We have had 8 consecutive snow storms over the past 2 weeks with one currently over us snowing, sleeting, and dropping 1/8 sized snow balls on us. I measured 3.5 feet of snow in the yard but there is also 3 inches of ice under it from previous snowfalls.

The good news is that is is not all that cold here. We get into the lower 20's at night and near freezing during the day. I left northern IL to get out of the subzero temps. 30 degrees here is down right balmy. In fact, kids wear shorts and Tee shirts most of the time during the day.

My snowblower is broken and I have been too sick with a very bad cold to get it fixed. The snow is about 8 inches deep in the driveway but we just drive over it. It will melt sometime.

Our plans are to move a few hundred miles south. It is in the mid-fifties there now during the day. The weather reports keep us motivated to get the house ready to market. Our agent says the market is still doing well here and not to worry....just be patient. So...we dream of warmer temps...no snow...mostly sunny days yet four seasons.

I recently returned from a funeral in Iowa via Chicago. One day it barely got above 0 degrees F.

OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway? Going there for a few days is a novelty, but living there must be agony. Monday I sat on the backporch with the dog where we drank a beer and watch the geese on the lake. 70 degrees, in February! I love the people in Iowa, but I just don't get why people live through the winters there. Even the summer heat isn't that pleasant there.
Today was -40. Luckily that is the same in F as C so no need to convert. I would leave Canada in the winter in a heartbeat except that I own a business, and the kids are still in school. When they graduate, my wife and I plan to become snowbirds. Our northern summers are awesome. Very comfortable temperatures. It gets dark at about midnight, and sun up at about 4 AM. I'm actually surprised that we don't see more desert folks coming up here for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom