What are you making from all the food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green chile stew!!

Walmart has some really good green chiles that are chopped and sold in the freezer section (the have red too) from a company in Colorado, and because I love anything green chili and had a big pork butt roast, i've been doing lots of Mexican, ......think Arizona/New Mexico dishes.

Also, I made some vegetable beef soup from a pot roast I had made, and tossed in some pearl barley and that's been a good thing that's lasted a couple days.

I bought a head of cabbage that I've been staring at and thinking about making some "lazy dazys", which I used to like, as a kid. Basically hamburger meat, onions, spices chopped cabbage, in a pastry dough then deep fried.

There's a surplus of chicken's paws too! Personally, I like wings, but feet...NOT!

View attachment 34541

I ate those in China during my working days. Only because they were "special" and an honor to be served. :facepalm:

One story from then. I was in the Port of New Orleans watching a shipment of my companies goods being sent.

They pointed out several refrigerated containers, set to ship to China, full of chicken feet.:D

I ate those in China during my working days. Only because they were "special" and an honor to be served. :facepalm:

One story from then. I was in the Port of New Orleans watching a shipment of my companies goods being sent.

They pointed out several refrigerated containers, set to ship to China, full of chicken feet.:D

Interesting!

Let me say they were not "jumping off the shelves" at Walmart when I took the photo!

A few weeks ago, I scored two spiral hams at Sam's Club. :dance: {sell-by date is a month or two from now.}

I plan to smoke them on Saturday and use them as the basis for numerous meals:
  • ham slices/baked potatoes
  • split pea soup (DH just found a bag of split peas in the baking basket :confused: on a high shelf in the pantry :LOL:
  • ham/pasta casserole
  • ham fried rice
  • ham sandwiches
  • ham salad
  • 15-bean soup
  • chef salad (If we have lettuce)

and some will get put in the food saver and frozen.

Yesterday lunch; Shrimp and mussels (the frozen cleaned and precooked kind) with frozen chopped mixed veg with a dollop of Chinese garlic chili sauce with small butterfly pasta. Key is to use very little water to make the pasta and use the salty starchy pasta water to make the sauce. Took 15 minutes to make as I keep sliced onion and garlic in the freezer ready to go.

Dinner was French opinión soup using a container of chicken stock I made and froze with some ossobuco made in the instant pot.

A few weeks ago, I scored two spiral hams at Sam's Club. :dance: {sell-by date is a month or two from now.}

I plan to smoke them on Saturday and use them as the basis for numerous meals:
  • ham slices/baked potatoes
  • split pea soup (DH just found a bag of split peas in the baking basket :confused: on a high shelf in the pantry :LOL:
  • ham/pasta casserole
  • ham fried rice
  • ham sandwiches
  • ham salad
  • 15-bean soup
  • chef salad (If we have lettuce)

and some will get put in the food saver and frozen.

Never smoked a ham. This is a cured one? How long do you smoke it and to what temp?

Never smoked a ham. This is a cured one? How long do you smoke it and to what temp?

I have smoked fresh hams and fresh hams that I have cured. Many recipes are online, but as a rule you smoke either of the hams at 220-235 degrees at 15-20 minutes/pound. The internal temperature should reach 190 degrees to be safe. I have had some difficulty with the cure penetrating all the way deep into the meat but they were 12-15 pound hams, but I don't inject the solution as some recipes suggest. Regardless, they were delicious.

As a side note, not out of safety, I always lightly cooked my slices of ham. Since I retired 5+ years ago, I no longer eat sandwiches, as I am/was tired of them. I ate three of them a day for over 40 years.

I am taking my bread machine back out after not using it for several years. Finally got some whole wheat bread flour from a grist mill. A neighbor bought me the last white bread flour in Walmart and gave me a few packets of expired yeast.

My first loaf came out horrible.

I am now waiting for a few yeast packets from an acquaintance in Texas so Ican try again.

Tonight monkfish out of the freezer, crusted with ground nuts, seeds and garlic. Keto versión of breadcrumbs. Kale with red peppers and balsamic cherry tomatoes and string beans with garlic butter. Sticking to low carb as best we can....

There's a surplus of chicken's paws too! Personally, I like wings, but feet...NOT!

I'm not a big fan of eating chicken feet, but I have used them to make a stock. They make a really thick rich stock since they have so much collagen in them. I freeze it in ice cube trays and a single cube is enough to help richen up a pot of soup.

I'm not a big fan of eating chicken feet, but I have used them to make a stock. They make a really thick rich stock since they have so much collagen in them. I freeze it in ice cube trays and a single cube is enough to help richen up a pot of soup.

Do you roast the feet first or add them raw to make stock?

Do you roast the feet first or add them raw to make stock?

I've done them raw because it's pretty versatile - adds mouthfeel without a lot of color or strong flavors - but I think you could roast them to get a darker stock. I pretty much always roast chicken or turkey carcasses when I make stock out of them

Grocery stores are stocked. Everything but hand sanitizer and paper that is. Beef, chicken, turkey ham, lamb, pork...what you want?

Produce packed with fresh too. Bread there but sketchy. Pasta, sauces, rice. Lot's of fresh fish too. Potatoes are back in 5 and 10 lb bags.

These are the regular, cured spiral hams. We smoke them at 225 for extra flavor. When I texted DH "How many hours should I smoke the ham?" he replied:

Thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, ...

(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Maybe 10 pounds of lentils in the pantry and impulse bought a double jumbo pack of tortillas at Costco. Hmmm....

Cooked a big batch of lentils Indian-style (aka chana). Got tired of eating them. So made lentil fajitas on the pellet grill. Quite decent. Grilling the bland tortillas really helped. Next time will throw on grilled peppers and onions too.

Deep-fried some chicken wings. I almost never cook chicken wings myself, but as I no longer eat out, I had to make them myself.

Made homemade tortillas today. Came out ugly but tasty. Not bad for a first try.
IMG_20200409_192605.jpeg

We made blue corn tortillas last week. Probably the best ones I have made.

Tonight was squirrel and rabbit pot pie by special request of DD2.

Last night was Basil (fresh from the garden)/Walnut Pesto with Ziti for dinner. Tonight we'll have pork chops with the last of the fresh collard greens from the garden. Today I will spend some time in the back yard with a good book and watch the tomato plants grow. Have to wait a month or so before they are ready. :D

Cheers!

Just made some pancakes from scratch. I'm curious about what low-carb cooks are doing to extend food supplies. I grew up in the midwest, and carbs WERE the way meals were extended, particularly potatoes. (In fact, I cannot imagine how one can feed teenage boys WITHOUT potatoes.)

I'm not avoiding carbs, so extending food the old-fashioned way is how I do it (currently eating a baked spinach ziti with tons of spinach from my garden). Bu I know there are lots of low-carb cooks on this forum, and I'm wondering how you extend your food.

We are low carb for diabetes and weight control. Added beans into the home menú. They have carbs but are low glycemic index usually so don’t spike sugars. Eat with protein and is ok.

Other is the use of cauliflower in lieu of potato. Made a Shepard’s pie with 3 toppings. Mashed potato, mashed/whipped cauliflower and a mix of the two. The mixed was even better than the plain potato. Can also use to make a faux pizza crust...

Finally, lots of nuts and seeds. Grind up almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, coconut (unsweetened) lino seeds, sunflower seeds, garlic etc. add salt and pepper, toast lightly and use instead of breadcrumbs on Fish, chicken, milanesas etc. almond and coconut flour for baking.

We're not really having any trouble extending food supplies while eating keto. We did stock up on eggs and butter and nuts and meat, plus we're growing vegetables. But we also stocked up on frozen veggies. DW got experimental and ordered powdered eggs and powdered butter (!?), but we haven't had to use any of it yet. If we didn't have our veggies growing we'd probably have to go to the store every two weeks. But the way it is now, it will be well over a month before we go back for anything, and that will probably be Diet Pepsi.

Now, if we didn't have a freezer, it would be a very different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom