what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
... last of summer vegetables ...

My! Is fall here yet?

"Keys that jingle in your pocket
Words that jangle in your head
Why did summer go so quickly?
Was it something that you said?"
- Lyrics of The Windmills of Your Mind

Since we're having new flooring put down in five areas, we decided to save some money by tearing up the old carpet and stuff. ...

Regarding tearing the old carpet and pad out the job will be less nasty if you do something like this: pick a corner of a room, grab carpet with pliers and pull back from corner, lifting it off the tack strips. Go to the nearest corner and pull back there as well, till you have about a 5' flop of carpet folded over on itself. Measure your dumpster to see what the length should be - you will be putting rolls of carpet in and want to maximize the room. Using a razor knife or box cutter, slash the carpet into a 5' strip from the backing side. Roll strip up and start a stack. Continue till all carpet is removed. Then pull up the pad - note that it is in stapled down 5' strips - a flat bladed shovel used at the seams will be your friend. Dusty dirty job. No reason to pull tackstrip that is sound, metal edging will be replaced.

My next big home projects are stalled out until January at the request of DW. She doesn't want my controlled chaos around for the holidays...

I found myself looking at some real estate web sites last night, scoping out vacation homes. There's some cheap stuff out there. I've gotten some feedback in the past that I'm 'too old' to go have a vacation home, now that the kids are grown. Heck, I'm not quite 56, so I have a few good years left!

Hey, this might be another good Life after FIRE thread.

Thank you so much calmloki! :)

I've torn up a lot of old carpet, but have not tried it this way. I'll give it a whirl. The carpet is on a concrete slab, so there should not be staples in the floor.

Yuck...then there's all that dust and stuff underneath the pad. What a dirty job! :yuk: Hmmm, I wonder if Mike Rowe would be willing to help me out...

Last edited:
Are you sure you need to replace the pad? Carpet companies have a lot gain in convincing you to do this. I had one rep say "You wouldn't change your suit without changing your underwear, would you?" but that's baloney.

You might need or want to, but when our carpet was replaced, we figured we'd need a new pad, but the installer said "Well, this old pad is fine -- no reason to remove it."

I will follow calmloki's tips when replacing my carpet. About the pad, my experience is that mine was always in even worse shape than the carpet, and disgustingly dirty. In fact, I should not have any carpet but all wood floor, but my wife is still resisting.

Are you sure you need to replace the pad? Carpet companies have a lot gain in convincing you to do this. I had one rep say "You wouldn't change your suit without changing your underwear, would you?" but that's baloney.

You might need or want to, but when our carpet was replaced, we figured we'd need a new pad, but the installer said "Well, this old pad is fine -- no reason to remove it."
We won't be getting carpet. We're having the rooms done with Amtico laminate. We had the laundry room, kitchen and dining room done with Amtico three years ago and just love it. This is what it looks like in our kitchen. :)

Attachments

• kitchen4.jpg
    kitchen4.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 15
Yes...I love that cabinet. It belonged to my grandparents. I think my DH loves it more than me...if the house caught on fire, he would get it to safey first! :LOL:

Last apartment we had done we paid $10.50 for the carpet, $3.75 for the 8# pad, and $4.50 for labor - per yard prices. In my opinion the pad tends to make the carpet - spending an extra couple bucks/yard on the pad gets us a much better life, feel and impression than a couple extra on the carpet. This is for foam pad - if you have Berber carpet and a "horsehair" pad it might be worth leaving - the horsehair doesn't squish out like foam does. Suspect that you are *ahem* a fair bit tidier than our typical tenant.

I was a shopping fool today. We went to Marshall's and got dh2b 6 new pairs of name brand dress pants, priced from $18 low end to $25 max. He's lost 25 lbs since January and his w*rk dress pants were just too big on him. I found a great button down long sleeve blouse for $13.
Also scored an $18 pair of jeans at another store. I am amazed that dark indigo blue jeans are a thing of the past. The pair we bought looked old already. :rolleyes: Hit Aldi's for yogurts and misc stuff. That was enough shopping for me for at least a month. :LOL:

Home Cookin'

The annual apple pie cooked from scratch happened today. :D
It was beyond fabulous. I haven't lost my touch with homemade pastry.

Warning: This picture will cause spontaneous salivation.

Attachments

• ApplePie09.jpg
    ApplePie09.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful pie, Freebird! I am impressed by the from scratch crust. I use those ones you unfold from the freezer and consider that homemade enough for the occasional pie or quiche that I turn out.

Yes...I love that cabinet. It belonged to my grandparents. I think my DH loves it more than me...if the house caught on fire, he would get it to safey first! :LOL:
ooops...I meant safety......:blush:

Well while I'm here I might as well post what I did today. I finished painting my patio! Woo Hoo! :D

The annual apple pie cooked from scratch happened today. :D
It was beyond fabulous. I haven't lost my touch with homemade pastry.

Warning: This picture will cause spontaneous salivation.

... all that pie needs is a scoop of Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream.... :tongue:mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Took my new mutt on a hiking swimming trip today. Mainly wading though, doesn't seem to have the swimming down yet. Hope he gets the hang of it. Pretty day, a little on the cool side.

img_866844_0_c4765a492d5aa51962b096f8c694d9a2.jpg

What a beautiful dog!! He looks so healthy, strong, and happy. I am sure he'll figure out how to swim, in time.

Took my new mutt on a hiking swimming trip today. Mainly wading though, doesn't seem to have the swimming down yet. Hope he gets the hang of it. Pretty day, a little on the cool side.
That dog has swimming after sticks, until his tongue is hanging out from exhaustion, written all over him. :LOL:
Um...if not, are you ready to join the Polar Bear Club to teach him? :greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom