what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y BTW, the video of Tyler State Park didn't feature any rattlesnakes, scorpions, spiders, etc etc etc. Must be a myth. ;)
All park fees fund huge varmint eradication programs, the only way to insure the park is habitable for humans. We stayed for a week and the only problem we had was a robbery while sitting by the campfire one evening. A masked bandit came up behind DW and snatched her s'more out of her hand - before she got her first bite. Talk about miffed....

Up early, coffee, some light yardwork. Late morning, one of the shelties that we foster for the Northern Virginia Sheltie Rescue group was picked up by her new family- we had visited the adopters at their home yesterday. Another foster will be here later in the week. Maizie is 12 years old but very active, loves to play ball and no real health issues and a real cutie. This is the 17th or 18th foster that we've had, the good news is we've only kept one for ourselves! Now it's football time.

img_744852_0_b653896dabf617ab80831228804521db.jpg

Have not done anything notable today. But yesterday, for the first time, I made paella with chicken and sausage, and also fideua with shrimp and squid. They probably aren't as good as the meals we had in Spain a couple of years ago, but they were edible. The rice of the paella wasn't over or undercooked as I feared. That would have been a disaster. In fact my extended-family guests thought they were good. Next time, I will have to cut back on the broth in the fideua so it will be a bit drier.

Today....had lunch over at my mom's and we celebrated my aunt's 97th birthday. Took them for an afternoon drive to enjoy the fall colors. Pretty amazing, she can't get around very well and her hearing is poor but she has a great mind. She reads one book after another, probably her secret to success. Thankfully she has someone younger to look after her, my mom. She will be 91 on Thanksgiving day.:D

Put on my domestic hat and prepared stew, cornbread and peach cobbler for my guests. During lunch, I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. Gave hugs to guests and bade them farewell.

Put on my writing hat and started another short story. Chatted with a friend on-line. Took the writing hat off so I could take a nap (hats don't stay on your head in bed). Getting ready to be domestic again. More sleep will come later as I'll have to be prepared to put my cop hat on in the a.m...........

i decided it was time to pull those pork short ribs out of the freezer and whip up some BBQ, NY style. HUH? :confused:
Dinosaur BBQ is a local BBQ place. The owners foolishly published a cookbook with their Red Rub, Mop Sauce, and Mutha Sauce recipes. they drew a lot of their style from good ol' southern style BBQ.
man oh man -3 hours of slow cooking and plenty of sauce. Sides were potato salad and honey hush cornbread (right bbami?).
we've got fat bellies tonight...:D
oh, and had another tooth shear off on one side. dentist tomorrow...:'(

Cooked ~4# of custom cut turkey on a bed of herbs and garlic. Later made turkey soup with rice and some of the summer garden's vegetables. Ladled into freezer containers for later.

Dumped kitchen waste, shredded papers, leaves, garden remnants into compost.

Despite freezes, should have some flowers blooming tomorrow; will put some in vase.

Loaded student version of Office on my new laptop, whilst swilling freshly ground coffee. Breakfast of oatmeal with bananas and craisins. Laundered three loads. Ran the dishwasher...

Had a chicken pecan salad sandwich and a blueberry-pineapple smoothie at Frullati's. Gassed up at Costco ($1.95/gal!). Played Walmart bingo. Managed to leave Guitar Center without an impulse buy. Made three-bean chili. (Horrendous Farts, Will Reek)...

Had someone over for a baked black cod with mushroom sauce dinner and then went to a voice recital at Cornish, a local school for the performing arts. It was free, and excellent.

I think I want to do more of this, as it is walking distance and really enjoyable for me.

Ha

Dave, I'm curious about the dog foster care. What's the average time and range of times that you have each dog? Have all of them been pleasant experiences?

I've spent today chugging a laxative which I will wash down with a gallon of miralax . Yes, it is Colonscopy time and even though I am usually the world's best patient . This is brutal . I hope the Colonscopy is negative so I have many years until I do this again . I also hope I lose weight with this torture so I can start the holiday eating guilt free .

Woke up to two happy, giggling kids snuggled under the covers with me. Did a few chores and we're heading (with the dog) to the beach to play until lunchtime. After lunch will be naps, then we'll hit the yard and do some pruning/digging/playing until it's dark and time for dinner.

I take Mondays easy.

Dave, I'm curious about the dog foster care. What's the average time and range of times that you have each dog? Have all of them been pleasant experiences?

Longest was about 10 months, we had a 9 year old that took a while before we found a home- she's 12 now, nearly deaf, and we babysit her on occasion and loves her new home! The shortest is about 4 weeks, we always keep them at least 2 weeks just to make sure we know enough about them to at least give some perspective to potential adopters. I guess the average is about 8-12 weeks but it really does vary- we tend to take the ones that have some issues or need a "boot camp" to lose a few pounds.

All in all, very rewarding but having done this nearly 20 times, a couple didn't work out. We've had two that had serious issues- one had a brain issue that left her hyper and prone to biting without warning and a second that had been abused and was very aggressive- not good endings for those two but we gave it a good try and we were able to keep them under control in our environment but they could have never been adopted out.

My "favorite" was a one that was rescued from a very bad situation, where they were starving and near death already. Nearly 70 dogs had to be put down and only 5 appeared to have a chance. We took in one Sheltie that was about a year old, weighed 9 pounds and should have been over 20. For the first week, he barely moved and spent most of his time on my lap or being held by my wife. He eventually reached 18 pounds with us before being adopted by a great family a year or so ago. We see him often and he's a puppy all over again, a beautiful coat, loves to go on long hikes and visit the local Starbucks and sit outside with his owner, he always draws a crowd. In my mind, he's the poster child for how successful a rescue can go!

All in all, very rewarding but there are some sad times for sure. We have two dogs of our own, an Australian Cattle Dog from the shelter and a sheltie that we decided to keep after fostering him for a while- they are great with the fosters but always hard to say goodbye when one is adopted. Usually doesn't take us long to bring in another one, the bad news is there is a seemingly endless supply of shelties (and other breeds) that need this kind of help.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more details or want to talk about this more.

got up at 3 AM
Made cawfee and some rolls with butter
Turned on telly and puter.
Watched movie.
at 900 am, made wifey cawfee.
at 10am went to current events meeting at geezer club.
at 12 PM went to Vons supermarket and ate lunch and read paper.
at 2PM mixed cement, put into molds and made some custom stepping stones.
at 3pm went on puter.
at 4pm will eat dinner
at 6Pm will watch more telly until 8 PM, then conk out and wake again at 3 PM.

this was a slow day.

Jug

I've spent today chugging a laxative which I will wash down with a gallon of miralax . Yes, it is Colonscopy time and even though I am usually the world's best patient . This is brutal . I hope the Colonscopy is negative so I have many years until I do this again . I also hope I lose weight with this torture so I can start the holiday eating guilt free .
good luck! you will lose a few lbs is my guess. an unintended reward? :D

i'll be going for my first "turn 50" one in January 09. :rolleyes:

Climbed outta bed at 6:15am, got cleaned up & dressed, crammed a PB&J through my piehole, jumped in the car and went to catch the bus to go see & hear the Ozark Mtn. Jamboree's Christmas show in Galesburg. Stopped at a Perkin's restaurant on the way there for lunch....Mmmmm, Ruben! Yum!....then on to the show....a very good show! Then back home, read the newspaper, email, forums, etc., and now thinking about fixing something for supper.

Tomorrow is a day of vegetation....I'll probably be a couch potato! :rolleyes:

Wednesday we're going to Chicago to see "Mame", and have dinner. And then Saturday we're going up to Ft. Atkinson, WI, to the Fireside Theater for dinner and their annual Christmas show.

Goonie, I love to read about your days! You seem to be enjoying retirement thoroughly and to be having so much FUN. :D

Goonie, I love to read about your days! You seem to be enjoying retirement thoroughly and to be having so much FUN. :D
That's what I retired for....FUN!!! Endless Days of Play! And to think....I could go to work for the tour/bus company, and get to do all of the traveling, sightseeing, and shows....and get PAID for it! Plus FREE meals and lodging! But then it would be 'work'.....a 'job'.....YUCK!!! I think I'd rather keep paying them instead!

They need more good drivers....and I'm qualified (all I need is to have a DOT physical).....and we've talked (several times....and again today).....but...... :p

...my recent days

Get up without the alarm, roughly 6:30am. It is when the sun starts to come in the window.

Do my breakfast and web cruise routine. Web cruise is news, comics, ebay, a few photography news groups. Watch birds in feeder in the back yard as I have breakfast.

Make breakfast, pack lunch, walk along canal to university. Geese are flocking to get ready to migrate; leaves are beautiful, although many have fallen.

Study my 2 university courses. Sometimes my study buddy comes. We chat, laugh, talk, study, have a wonderful time.

Worse thing I do is look at the business section through the day and see how the market is doing.

Return home between 4~5 to family.

Make and have dinner, do homework, play with son.

Often go for a walk in the evening, to store, to get fresh air, before heading to bed.

...it is so far my version of "heaven".

No "work" in the above. Homework is not work.

Oh, and my ex-company is going down the toilet. I've been reading about their latest bloodshed. A bunch of cronies that the CEO brought in have been nuked. There must be partying in the cubicles; too bad it is too late.

V

Got up at 6:30am, made a pot of coffee, and started working.
img_745626_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif
At least I can do it in my pj's.:)

I did slip off for 9 holes yesterday. Going to rain the next couple of days so might as well be working.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom