what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a 120-mile motorcycle ride. Finally, it's warm enough to take the insulation out of the riding gear, leaving only the mesh and padding.

Took tender care of the snow thrower. Changed the engine oil, greased and oiled parts that need it, drained the fuel from tank, lines and carburetor. Hopefully it'll be years before I have use of it again.

...Nothing quite like the smell of line-dried sheets...

Soooooo true. I've already dried some just so I can get that rush when I bury my face in them all folded up. Nothing smells like that, nothing. I have a clothesline just for sheets and it's probably not even legal where I live, but I'd pay the fine.

Won an informal dance off against my instructor. I'm not better, but I just had more endurance to dance all the way through Timbalero. :)

Yesterday I finally finished cleaning up all of the garden beds, and hauled most of the debris to a friend's big burnpile. Then got cleaned up and headed over to the Cajun restaurant down the road a piece for their Crawfish Boil! The owner had just gotten back at 2 p.m. after driving straight through from Lake Charles, LA, with a fresh load of them there little critters. And they were boiled and on my table at 4:00!!! Can't get much fresher than that around here!

So I had a few pounds of crawfish, a batch of red beans & rice (with smoked andouille sausage), a nice salad with garlic horseradish dressing, and a couple pieces of fried gator that my Mom didn't have room to finish!!!

Life is great...and Cajun food makes it even better!!!:greetings10:

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 3
I just finished my third free photobook from hotprints.com, and the second one I made last month arrived in the mail today.

You get one free book per month, and there's no shipping or strings attached. These books are impressive with great quality printing and nice paper. Highly recommended.

Finally got my motorcycle out of the shed, installed battery, did crank up the third try, after some prep went for an hours ride on the back roads. Yippeee.

I enjoyed 84 degree...yes you heard right...84 degree weather today.
We're having a heat wave...a tropical heat wave :whistle:
I spread a beach towel out on my front lawn and started my summer tan for about an hour. Now this is what I call a really good FIRE day. :D
dh2b is "cooking" tonight - the Pizza Hut special on wheels.

82 here. Another clothesline day. Front lawn was mown.

High of 84 today. Too hot too early as far as I'm concerned. I took a bike ride on the Youghiogheny River Trail today with some friends from the office. Tomorrow I'm off to the other side of Pittsburgh to prepare Easter lunch for my 93 year old Aunt and her friends. It is an pleasure for me to be able to do this little thing for them after church services on Sunday. Aunt is my Mom's younger sister and the only sibling remaining on either side of my parents' family.

I was off from my part-time job today and actually paid for it since it is Good Friday. I never had it off as a holiday before, since I worked for the Fed Gov. We went to Rogers OH to a giant flea market. Flea markets are not my thing, but my DH enjoys them. It was hot, it was crowded and there was lots of junk and then some more junk. We left there and drove to Youngstown OH to visit DH's mom, who is in a nursing home. We always get her dinner whereever she wants and eat with her and then we drove home. It was around 300 miles. I am so glad to be back home. The good thing is that tomorrow is only Saturday!

70 degrees and sunny today. Ate lunch at a tapas restaurant two blocks away. Woke the Z3 roadster from its winter slumber and drove around for a bit. Vacuumed and washed the hybrid inside and out.

Made fresh Italian sausage with the young wife. We just got the meat grinder last week and this was our first attempt. It worked like a charm. We're having sausage, pepper and onion grinders for dinner.

Frank and I are on the second day of a spontaneous roadtrip/vacation, and it's been a spectacularly beautiful spring day. We have no schedule, routes, or destinations in mind. We don't have to head home until we feel like it, and (being new retirees), we find that concept is pretty hard to wrap one's mind around! Right now we are in our eventual retirement location in southern Missouri. We like being here.

Got the kayak out, paddled around the lake for a few hours. Like having a private lake, no one else was on the water. Saw one fisherman on the shore...

On the way back home saw and was passed by swarms of weekend motorcyclists. Must be the herding instinct, 20 to 25 in a group. Good to be retired, I'll head out on the bike during the week.

Frank and I are on the second day of a spontaneous roadtrip/vacation, and ... We have no schedule, routes, or destinations in mind. We don't have to head home until we feel like it ...

Sounds like RVing to me.

Sounds like RVing to me.

Last night I slept in the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, at the Jonesboro (Arkansas) Holiday Inn. Nice free breakfast buffet, too. :)

Frank drove, and I read to him from my Kindle most of the day yesterday, and we discussed the books. It was fun, like having a book club with just two members.

Road trip!

Central Texas Museum of Automotive History. Surprisingly good for being in the middle of nowhere. Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush were blooming like crazy all along the roadways.

Early BBQ dinner at Smitty's, just about the most Texan place you can imagine. You have to stand in line in the smoke at the indoor wood fired pits to buy brisket, ribs, and sausage by the pound. They give it to you wrapped in brown paper and you take it into the dining room (which is, thankfully, air conditioned and smoke-free) where you buy beans, slaw, and potato salad. No plates. You eat off the brown paper.

The attached beauty is a Duesenberg.
Duesenberg.jpg

Early BBQ dinner at Smitty's, just about the most Texan place you can imagine. You have to stand in line in the smoke at the indoor wood fired pits to buy brisket, ribs, and sausage by the pound. They give it to you wrapped in brown paper and you take it into the dining room (which is, thankfully, air conditioned and smoke-free) where you buy beans, slaw, and potato salad. No plates. You eat off the brown paper.
Did you happen to see the recent episode of Food Wars, pitting brother (Kreuz Market) against sister (Smitty's Market) in a small-town BBQ smackdown? A family feud led to the two splitting up and opening separate BBQ joints.

Local food radio show guy broadcast from Lockhart today. He must have been a yankee because he kept going on about sauce and sides. He went to four places, Black's, Kreuze's, Smitty's and some other place I've never been to. He tried to get them to talk about why Smitty's and Kreuz's split, but they wouldn't go there. I guess the wounds run deep, even though the split has to be a decade old or more.

If I remember the story right, it's a good lesson in how not to bequeath a business to your kids. Daddy Schmidt left the building (the place now called Smitty's) to his daughter, but had sold the actual business to his sons. Sometime after their father's death they had a falling out over rent and repairs. I think the daughter's husband did competitive barbecue on the side, maybe he had a hankering to run a restaurant. in any event the Schmidt brothers opened up Kreuz's (they had a parade and drug a bucket of coals from the old pit to the new place), and the old Kreuz's became Smitty's and is run by the Fullaloves (sp?).

I did learn one thing from yankee boy's broadcast today. I've always felt that Kreuz's brisket tended to have a lot of fat, while at Smitty's I just order it lean and it comes like I like it. Apparently, if you want lean beef at Kreuz's the thing to order is Shoulder Clod. Learn something new every day.

I eat at both places, and Black's as well. But the atmosphere at Smitty's is very historic. If Texas had a cathedral of barbecue, Smitty's would be the place.

Smitty%27s+05.JPG
smittys_pit.jpg
428467804_c56243d094.jpg

My next barbecue pilgrimage will have to be to Lexington (east of Austin) to Snow's. Open only on Saturday, all they sell is brisket, and they close when they run out. I've heard that they open early and almost never make it to lunch time before they've run out.
Smitty%27s+02.JPG

Did absolutely nothing on Friday! Success!!!

Today I put gas in the lawn mower, pulled the rope once , and it fired right up....as it always has...then I mowed the lawn for the first time this year! :)

Spent most of the day drugged out on painkillers for a tooth I had cracked last weekend and subsequently had crowned Tuesday. It's not looking good for me...may have to have a root canal if the pain doesn't subside. Yucko! Not a fun way to spend your Easter weekend! :(

Oh well, I will survive - and I am thankful for pain killers! Makes me think about how much people used to suffer from stuff like this in the past when we had no pain medicine (and why they'd drink!!!)

Oh well, I will survive - and I am thankful for pain killers! Makes me think about how much people used to suffer from stuff like this in the past when we had no pain medicine (and why they'd drink!!!)

I can come up with many reasons for taking med's.
img_922050_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

I got dirty and sweaty.
Doing what? And should this require pictures to be a worthwhile thread?

I bought "my first iPod" a few days back and I've put some time into building playlists and loading it up. I also ended up getting taunted into overhauling three mini blowdryers for our kid. Spouse's 20-year-old model was beyond redemption (plastic brittle fracture) but the other two were worth saving and have been passed on to the next generation.

I also spent Friday and Saturday avoiding doing our tax returns. The avoidance is doing so well that I think I'll go surfing today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom