what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me, although 3/31 was my retirement date. I must be getting used to retirement, my anniversary didn't even cross my mind until I read your post.:blush:

Made me realize that I just passed my 3 year anniversary (3/28). Time seems to pass more quickly these days.

It is past 10 AM, I'm very slowly getting around to getting ready to do whatever it is I'm going to do today. Well the obvious, I'm tippy tapping on the keyboard on the forum, read a few posts and posted some.

Whew... time to take a break.

Very close to nothing; didn't even bother with lunch.

Last edited:
We went to a Legion fundraiser chicken BBQ today. For $9, we got half a chicken, salt potatoes, "cowboy beans", a roll and a soda. The 1/2 chicken was huge! I finished 2/3 of the meal and brought the rest home for a snack.
Tonight is 50s and 6os night with a DJ at the local Legion. If the warm weather holds, I just may break out a minidress or miniskirt to be in theme. I got a big smile from Mr B ( a leg man) for coming up with that idea. :blush:
My social life has improved so much in the past year. What a difference!:clap:
He just joined the VFW Mens Auxiliary. I tag along for the socializing. He will go off for short periods of time, but comes back soon with the guys right in tow. Or I will wander over to listen in.
The guys (for the most part) talk to me like I'm one of them. I fit right in, busting their chops and talking about "guy stuff". I am in my element once again. :D

Got up had coffee with DW before she went to j*b. I then took a short nap (1 hour), got up and went to L*we's to get a couple of fence posts (two broken), also got new flapper value for toilet, and new water shutoff for toilet. Went to bank to get money and leave money (left more than I took). I then had breakfast, installed flapper and shutoff value, put fence post in backyard to install either later today or tomorrow. Gave puppies baths (pretty dirty), worked on retirement and budget spreadsheets, took a bath to get ready for massage. I will be grilling chicken for dinner after massage.

Pretty busy day and I have not even retired yet.

Very long day yesterday with meetings and travel. Today was a chill out day. Woke up slowly at vacation place and watched TV news in bed. Unpacked. Leisurely breakfast, shower. Checked email, called friends and calculated NW as I do every year at this time. Pronounced myself happy with results. :) Went for a walk. Did errands, visited favourite local haunts including a goat farm, where I bought cheese and gelato, and a flower market. Will make a simple supper and may watch a movie before early to bed.

Tomorrow I will definitely be more active!

I bought a brush chipper on Craigslist yesterday and today I gave it a work out on a huge pile of brush that has accumulated. It is one of the old TroyBilt models with heavy steel construction that weighs a ton. The old guy that I bought it from had taken the carburetor apart and had put it back together wrong but it was a simple matter to get it running properly, plus I saved a bit on the cost. Still have 10 fingers.

Took my old Chevelle out to a car show today. Beautiful weather and a good turn out for the show. I made a list of a bunch of oldie songs and the DJ played every one of them. Then 2 of my grand kids came and I got to walk them around the show and show them all the old cars. Tonight DW and I are babysitting the grand kids and all in all this was a great day.

Took a couple of pics of my Bluebonnets today. :)

A friend gave us a couple of small plants about 5 years ago. The plants just withered up, died and didn't come back..until this year. So strange...

Attachments

• DSC02342.jpg
    DSC02342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC02343.jpg
    DSC02343.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 14
Pretty, bbbamI! I just love Texas bluebonnets, and was sad to read that wildflowers apparently aren't blooming too well on highways near Austin this year. Guess your yard had the right conditions.

Anyway, the photo is really pretty and brings back sweet memories of fields of bluebonnets... (blissful sigh)

Pretty, bbbamI! I just love Texas bluebonnets, and was sad to read that wildflowers apparently aren't blooming too well on highways near Austin this year. Guess your yard had the right conditions.

Anyway, the photo is really pretty and brings back sweet memories of fields of bluebonnets... (blissful sigh)
Thanks and I'm glad the pics brought back sweet memories for you. :flowers:

The close-up didn't turn out very well as the wind has been blowing around 30 mph with wind gusts up to 40 mph. :p

I mostly surfed all day. :LOL:
I ordered a hardy dwarf cherry bush (self pollinating, variety XDwarf Bing), a fresh blueberry tree (variety Polaris), and some softneck garlic from Miller Nurseries in western NY. The bush and tree will arive potted, not bareroot.
My green thumb is coming out of hibernation. :flowers:

Busy day today.
I accompanied my DW (RE 4/1/11) to a doctor appointment she made when she was having chest and back discomfort over the weekend (which has since been gone since yesterday). Result of EKG is somewhat abnormal and so MD ordered chest x-ray and blood tests. He ordered a stress test for this Friday and said the he will let us knew of the result in the afternoon.

Went to Lunch at Red Lobster and then got some quotes for new tires for her car.

We went to SS to apply for benefits. 1/2 hr wait - not bad. Processor saw a descrepancy on her birthdate on her second application for a card to replace the one that she lost when she was robbed at gunpoint in 1974. The year of birth was entered as 1948 instead of 1947. So SS needs to see a birth certificate (SS erred in inputting the date but now we are being inconvenienced) before she can continue the process. This despite, the license and US passport showing the correct birthdate. So, we went home, got the key to the safety deposit box, go to the bank and retrieve the documents and then back to SS office. SS Check will start on May.

As soon as we got home, the MD called and ask her to go to the hospital ER. He did not like what the blood tests showed and he wants the hospital to do more tests and/or evaluations. So, we went to the ER where they took another EKG which showed normal this time. The blood tests also showed normal. After 4 hours at the hospital, the hospital MD concluded that it is not a heart attack and suggested possibly caused by heart burn and others - but not a heart problem. She will still have the scheduled stress test this Friday.

Then, we went to Portillos for dinner.

Just today, there was a study released that showed the increased heart attack risk because of long hours of work. DW had been working long hours (sometimes up to 12 hrs) which led to her decision to RE.

Over the weekend, we were also discussing what to do with her pension - get the annuity or the lump sum. I have been trying to go for the annuity but she wants the lump sum for legacy reasons. With today's event, I don't think I can ever get her to change her mind.

I went to dance this afternoon with my tango partner and afterward she invited me for dinner- the year's first fresh halibut, broccoli and a nice French white wine. I don't know enough about wines to report anything beyond this.

Unbelievably good lunch, and really a very good day all around. For many years now I pretty much accept that spring has arrived when the first fresh halibut is in from Alaska, regardless of the weather which this year continues somewhat cold and blustery.

Ha

It was snowing here in Central Oregon today, so I postponed cleaning the back yard. I read a book, did some spring cleaning inside and then took my dog for a walk.

I don't usually read this section of the forum, but really enjoyed looking at pictures of Trombones's bicycle trip that he took a few days ago. There is some very beautiful countryside in Northern California!

Last edited:
I transformed my "junk" catchall room from a mess to open space by sorting through boxes (keep/discard exercise) and put together several donation boxes for the VFW garage sale in the hallway. My plan for this room is to relocate my garden seedling growing setup, move my exercise bike into it, and actually be able to get to my sewing machine. :blush: It will be the ultimate "lady cave". ;)
Little by little I am decluttering (again :LOL:) and truly getting rid of those tchatchkes that don't pass the 2 year rule. I bought and set up a small chest high bookshelf unit to hold the already sorted out plastic organizer containers. I vacuumed the walls, corners, rugs and baseboard areas. Now my housecleaner has one more room to maintain.
Tomorrow will be the finishing touch to go through 5 remaining small boxes and weed out the rest of the unused things. The closet also needs to be gone through. Some of this stuff dates back to college days (1976-80). Unbelievable! :nonono:
Next will be hanging some professionally framed watercolor and high quality pictures I have on hand to make the room look more earthy and natural. I have a waterfall, dolphins, and a Rocky Mt mirrored lake scene. These pictures used to hang in my cube in the windowless building I grew to despise.

It's a lot of w*rk but also a lot of fun redoing a room. :D

Had to get up at 3:30 A.M. to abuse myself with an annual arduous pack test. Did it a minute slower than last year, but I was 59 now I am 60.:whistle:

Had to do well since I am now the Vice President of our fire/rescue company(all volunteer). Also I did my test with a neighbor who is a retired Cardiologists, and is younger then me.

Arduous pack test

Arduous: involves field work calling for above-average endurance and superior conditioning. All firefighters are required to perform arduous duty. This test level is required by the U.S. Forest Service and most other agencies to fight fire in the United States.
Requirements: 3-mile hike with 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. No jogging or running.
Ever since I read your post, this song has been on my mind. I've boot scooted to this song many times...:)

YouTube - George Strait - The Fireman - 1996 Houston Rodeo

Took another pic of my Bluebonnets this afternoon when the wind settled down a bit. Now I think I'm gonna go play in the yard some. :greetings10:

Attachments

• DSC02358.jpg
    DSC02358.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 9
Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. Lost her balance and fell, breaking left hip and shoulder. She was on the floor all night which makes me sick. Had surgery on her hip today and came through just fine. Her shoulder will heal up on it's own. She's resting well and I'm headed back up for another night with her.

She has been an amazingly healthy woman, but obviously at 93 she shouldn't live by herself anymore. I called her twice a day while I was gone and a neighbor called her as well. She just happened to fall during the worst time period possible. I hate I pushed our good luck to this point.

She has been an amazingly healthy woman, but obviously at 93 she shouldn't live by herself anymore. I called her twice a day while I was gone and a neighbor called her as well. She just happened to fall during the worst time period possible. I hate I pushed our good luck to this point.
It is very common for elderly people to fall and break a hip, a shoulder or an arm. Sadly, it is nearly unavoidable, unless their movement is restricted.

Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. ..........

Dawg, so sorry to hear that . We have one of those alert button things for my MIL that she wears around her neck so she can push the button and get help immediately. When my FIL was alive he wore it and it came in handy on a number of occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom